They're Back! (Bose 901's, that is)

jdmccall

I just visited the Bose web site and checked out their stereo loudspeaker offerings. Low and behold, after an absence of some months, there they were, in all their glory...the Bose 901 Series VI! Although listed as temporarily out of stock, oddly enough, at least they were shown as being for sale, in both black vinyl and walnut veneer. So, haters and lovers rejoice! The king was dead!! Long live the king!!

-And I'll just throw this in:

I am debating whether to keep or sell my seven-year-old pair of walnut 901's. After a 2016 full of medical bills and reduced income, I thought I should sell some toys, so I decided to sell my best stereo set-up, which consisted of a nice NAD stack and the 901's. I've sold all the NAD components but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with selling the Bose. They are my second pair of 901's and so, yes...I guess I'm a bit of a 901 fan-boy. That is, if you can be 60 years old and still be a "fan-boy". We've still got a ratty old Akai integrated laying around here in a closet that, if still functional, could be used to drive them, so I may dust it off and see what happens with that. Shoot though, I don't even know where I'll set them up! I've got my Klipsch RF-82's in the room the Bose used to inhabit, being driven by my "old" Pioneer Elite A/V rig. Ah, the trials and tribulations of the audio life! :)

We're not really supposed to discuss value here, but without going into too much detail, I suspect you'll take a big loss if you try to sell those. I'd hang onto them if you think you'll want to use them in the future.

Oh, I'm sure I'd lose money on them. I bought them new seven years ago and even though they are still in like-new condition, I'd probably do well to get $700 for the pair, including the EQ. That's just the way it is. I probably will hang on to them because I know I'd eventually regret letting them go. I do have a plan for them! :naughty:

Preface: I like them.

Good or bad; love them or hate them, they definitely made their mark on the audio world. Good to hear that they have returned.

Probably the most loved/hated speaker out there with L100's coming in second. Sounds like you want to keep them, then do so. For the record, I'm a fan, if the are set up correctly.

I'm thinking go full old-school with the set-up: Hang them from the ceiling and for now at least, drive them with the aforementioned ratty old Akai integrated. It's only 65 Watts or so but at least it has a true tape monitor circuit so the Bose eq can be properly implemented. We even have a matching Akai cassette deck (with dbx NR, no less) to use with the amp...not to mention an unopened pack of Sony blank cassettes! It's been awhile since the cassette deck was used so I'm not sure how that will work out. Can pinch rollers last 30 years? :dunno:

That's just it. I don't think they returned at all. After the thread here ( months ago) saying that they would no longer build 901s. I called them my self and got the same answer and then some. They said Bose was going in a different direction and closing down production of the 901. You did say the site said out of stock. Here I think it's to invoke some melancholy feel to some but it's not enough to warrant a whole production line to start again w/ 2 different finishes and Bose is not custom enough to build speakers on request orders. I know you saw model 6s on their site but the out of stock thing is a way to cruise the site and then go for something else. I just got off the phone w/ c/s at Bose and again they said they no longer make them nor do they have ANY in stock. Sorry, instead of temp out of stock they should have said no longer in production period. Keep the ones you have. If you want to up grade your EQ I know a guy who does just that for a living and has a site on E-Bay and is also a Polk forumite and a friend.----NO Affiliation
Bose c/s #---1-800-379-2073
http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...ers/901-direct-reflecting-speaker-system.html

That's just it. I don't think they returned at all. After the thread here ( months ago) saying that they would no longer build 901s. I called them my self and got the same answer and then some. They said Bose was going in a different direction and closing down production of the 901. You did say the site said out of stock. Here I think it's to invoke some melancholy feel to some but it's not enough to warrant a whole production line to start again w/ 2 different finishes and Bose is not custom enough to build speakers on request orders. I know you saw model 6s on their site but the out of stock thing is a way to cruise the site and then go for something else. I just got off the phone w/ c/s at Bose and again they said they no longer make them nor do they have ANY in stock. Sorry, instead of temp out of stock they should have said no longer in production period. Keep the ones you have. If you want to up grade your EQ I know a guy who does just that for a living and has a site on E-Bay and is also a Polk forumite and a friend.----NO Affiliation
Bose c/s #---1-800-379-2073
http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...ers/901-direct-reflecting-speaker-system.html
All I know is what I saw and read on the Bose website: "TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK". Bose has never lied to me before, so I take that to mean just what it says. The 901 has been missing from their site for months. I can't imagine why they would put it back on if it's not going to be made available again...at some point in time. Keeping my fingers crossed not only for a return but for an upgrade to Series VII status in time for Bose' 50th year.

If you go to the Bose official website (as of this writing), and search for "Bose 901", or "Bose 901 Series VI", there is no mention of the speaker at all. It really is gone. And Bose has no reason to reason to restart production, as nowadays they are a "mass market" dealer of every kind of portable audio/computer accessory audio products. I do not believe they consider themselves a "Hi-Fi audio manufacturer" anymore, like the 1960's through the 1990's.

If you go to the Bose official website (as of this writing), and search for "Bose 901", or "Bose 901 Series VI", there is no mention of the speaker at all. It really is gone. And Bose has no reason to reason to restart production, as nowadays they are a "mass market" dealer of every kind of portable audio/computer accessory audio products. I do not believe they consider themselves a "Hi-Fi audio manufacturer" anymore, like the 1960's through the 1990's.

Yup, they've been gone awhile and do seem to really be gone for good. I'll still hold out hope for a 50th anniversary edition in 2018.

Keep your current 901s, can't easily replace them for what money you have into them.

Mine aren't going anywhere. :)

Back
Top Bottom