Thiel CS-1.2

Heavy-D

Restore n00b
Have heard a lot of good things about these speakers and hope to get a pair of these someday (when I become a billionaire) BUT have heard these speakers are for small rooms. Has this been anyone else's experience? I ask because I have a medium sized room (17' x 17'x 8') and am wondering if it would be worth getting them or not.

I had CS1.2's for years and

no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to sound anything better than sterile IMO. I ran them with a Counterpoint SA-12 hybrid amp, a pair of MC30's for a while and a Bryston integrated. I tried them in different rooms and different locations in those rooms and they always sounded lean, hard and cold. However,YMMV. Just my experience.

I'm surprised more people haven't responded.

veloceleste: You are the first person I've seen who doesn't like Thiel speakers.

Theils, some Kefs, Vandersteens- all great speakers, but I dunno how many folk here own them. That might be the problem with low response count.

I do not have 1.2's but have owned a pair of 1.5's for about 10 years. I really enjoy them. My listening room is about 14 x 17 with a vaulted ceiling and they work fine in the room. A slightly larger room should be no problem. They must be within two feet or less of the rear wall for the bass to balance out. Do not toe them in. They are very revealing of the up stream electronics. So when you change something upstream their sound will change also. I use a Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp and Foreplay III line stage. I actually bought two Golden Tube SE-40's and ran them as mono blocs initially but found that was over kill for me. I now just use one as a stereo amplifier. The combination sounds great to me. YMMV

I have my CS-1.2 in a slightly smaller room at the moment.

They have an excellent sounstage, clear and crisp mids and depending on room placement those little 5.5" bass drivers can really deliver. These speakers are more suited for relaxed music and sound levels. You'll be pushing them with overly loud rock.

They can be a tad bright, so I use either a Marantz or Sansui Integrated. I also have some older Thiel 04a's which sound very similiar. I like them both very much. And you don't need to be billionare. I got mine for about the going price of some HPM-100s.

Cheers

thedelihaus said:
Theils...great speakers, but I dunno how many folk here own them. That might be the problem with low response count.
Exactly -- I love the Thiels I've heard, but have no experience with the models mentioned.

Had 'em. I ran them with a McIntosh vintage 2505 and then later an expensive Rotel 200wpc new silver thing. I traded the Rotel in for a 2205 refurbished Mac and had the same results. Funny since the Mac with transformers are so laid back. They sounded harshhhh. I had hardwood floors and this may have contributed. Later, I had a pair of Thiel 1.5 speaks. A different experience. Thiel is known for thier drivers. The later (1.5 or 1.6) is better in my opinion. Save a check and pay the x-tra 500-600 for the 1.6, or if you have the room and strenght to move them, buy 3.6 if available. You will find them. They're great with single vocal Tuck and Patti type stuff, not so much with busy music.

Hope this helps. Just my sense.

Heavy-D said:
Have heard a lot of good things about these speakers and hope to get a pair of these someday (when I become a billionaire) BUT have heard these speakers are for small rooms. Has this been anyone else's experience? I ask because I have a medium sized room (17' x 17'x 8') and am wondering if it would be worth getting them or not.
Had 'em. I ran them with a McIntosh vintage 2505 and then later an expensive Rotel 200wpc new silver thing. I traded the Rotel in for a 2205 refurbished Mac and had the same results. Funny since the Mac with transformers are so laid back. They sounded harshhhh. I had hardwood floors and this may have contributed. Later, I had a pair of Thiel 1.5 speaks. A different experience. Thiel is known for thier drivers. The later (1.5 or 1.6) is better in my opinion. Save a check and pay the x-tra 500-600 for the 1.6, or if you have the room and strenght to move them, buy 3.6 if available. You will find them. They're great with single vocal Tuck and Patti type stuff, not so much with busy music.

Dusty Chalk said:
Exactly -- I love the Thiels I've heard, but have no experience with the models mentioned.

Well, for any of you coming to the AK Fest next week in Detroit, I'll have my Thiel CS3.6's there in my listening room. Stop on by.

Retro

Darn...there was a CS3.6 on eBay last night and was local to boot. I was the first one to put a bid and it was sitting at $1.00. I was ready to go the distance. It gone this morning!

:sigh:

onepixel said:
Darn...there was a CS3.6 on eBay last night and was local to boot. I was the first one to put a bid and it was sitting at $1.00. I was ready to go the distance. It gone this morning!

:sigh:

They usually sell for between $1500 and $2000 on Audiogon and they have several pairs for sale right now. Closest to you though, would be L.A.

After hearing mine, IMHO, $1500 and a local pick up was a bargain to me.

Here is Stereophile's review on the CS3.6's:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/225/

Retro

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom