Thiel Model 01? Good or dated?

axel340band

Hi guys, I have a potential opportunity to pick up a pair of Thiel Model 01's for not too much money. They look good, but there's one catch, and that is that they only have one original woofer. First, are these worth grabbing with that caveat, or are they not good enough to warrant a very likely unsuccessful search for an orphan woofer? Second, do you think it's possible one will ever show up, or are these so rare that it's never going to happen? Third, does anyone have any experience with these speakers at all, and if so, are they that good? Dunno if I can put the asking price in here, so I'll abstain from that for now. The price is so low though, that I don't really care what they're worth, so I'm thinking this can stay here and not go to DaS. Let me know!

Thanks!

Any chance you can pull the original woofer prior to the purchase? From my minimal searching, it looks like at least some Thiel models (I'd think more likely the early models like this one) used off-the-shelf drivers, which means that your odds are better of finding a replacement.

On the other hand, if the price is that good, they might be worth buying and doing some experimentation (assuming you're willing to fork over the money for a new pair of non-original woofers). Speaker design software can help here. And if it doesn't work out, you can probably part them out and get your money back.

ETA: looks likes the woofer may still be available.

Last edited:
They're asking $50. Feel free to pull this if it would force it to go to DaS. I feel that pretty much any good speaker is worth this much, but due to the age, I'm just trying to weigh the potential cost of as-close-as-possible replacements or an original if it can be found.

I had the Model 01 a while back. It was a good speaker with very nice wooden cabinet. The grille was a foam and highly deteriorated after all those years. Also, they originally came with an equalizer but it is usually lost and doesn't come with most of the used sets these days.

Any chance you can pull the original woofer prior to the purchase? From my minimal searching, it looks like at least some Thiel models (I'd think more likely the early models like this one) used off-the-shelf drivers, which means that your odds are better of finding a replacement.

On the other hand, if the price is that good, they might be worth buying and doing some experimentation (assuming you're willing to fork over the money for a new pair of non-original woofers). Speaker design software can help here. And if it doesn't work out, you can probably part them out and get your money back.

ETA: looks likes the woofer may still be available.
I talked to Rob Gillum, and he may have a used Eminence 10101, the correct woofer. It's expensive, but it may be worth it to revive these. Fingers crossed that when he tests it, it's good.

If it's really expensive (or is no good), you might also contact Eminence and see if they have a modern equivalent.

Ha! They are on Facebook Marketplace. This must be the same set of speakers. Same general geographic area and one wonky woofer. $75 this time. Maybe I'll buy them, wait another five years and try to sell them for $100.

Ha! They are on Facebook Marketplace. This must be the same set of speakers. Same general geographic area and one wonky woofer. $75 this time. Maybe I'll buy them, wait another five years and try to sell them for $100.
Haha I saw them too, and landed on this thread, which caused me to take a better look and notice the mismatched woofers. Thanks for the sanity check.

Back
Top Bottom