Thinkin about getting a server

I have three JRiver servers in my home all accessing FLAC files stored on my NAS. I absolutely love it, the various user interfaces makes it easy for non techies to use, and the sound quality is top notch. My wife, for example, can use her laptop, tablet, or smart phone to play what she wants wherever she want it. I didn't know about the support for Raspberry Pi and that's very intriguing. My servers are all MS Windows will all the extra Windows based costs (like anti virus) and I've been thinking about moving to Linux.
The JRiver ID for the RPi3 has only been available since Sept 2016. I only have one stereo system at the moment, but for someone with multiple rigs throughout the house these little devices would be my choice for highest quality accessing music stored on a NAS or PC. Currently, while the RPi3 has wifi, it isn't yet supported by JRiver so an ethernet cable is the connection. I don't know why this would be the case. I suspect they will utilize wifi sometime soon. The only thing that I miss a little with this setup is that I can't stream from Tidal with my Multibit DAC without pulling the USB plug from the RPi3 and move it to my PC, but that isn't really a problem as I have my other DAC a non-multibit Modi that is ready and tied into another aux on my pre amp. I suppose this would be where Rune really shines. As I understand it, it will stream from Tidal and access your drives and integrate both seamlessly. Not sure if that functionality extends to Rune for the Raspberry or not, but if true, that would be pretty impressive. However I dislike subscription software, and I really don't use my Tidal account enough to where I feel I need it.

JRiver is so well supported and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't move in the direction of streaming too at some point.

I have Windows 10 on an oldish laptop which has a busted screen and an external USB 3 HDD attached. It runs Plex Server tucked away in a cupboard and streams to Plex Player apps on my phone, tablet and Xbox One S. Anyone else use Xbox for media, its brilliant and dead silent.

I wanna connect to the wide world of webs so all I would need is an ether net port and a WiFi thingy right?

Last edited:
I recently picked up a pair or Lansonic 750 Pro's, I know nothing about them ( and really have no need for them), But was wondering about them, any good, bad , outdated and obsolete?

Back
Top Bottom