Thinking about a Marantz 1200

Steven Tate

CEO Flat Forehead Soc.
I have mostly stayed away from integrated amps and components as I really love the look of Marantz receivers. But I have a shot at a very nice 1200 integrated amp. Apparently original, but clean as a whistle inside and out. I'm wondering if anyone has experience refurbishing these. Are they difficult to work on or obtain parts for? Any info would be appreciated.
Steve

I had one for years and LOVED it. It really is a 3300 preamp and 250 amp under one hood.

My biggest mistake in audio was not having it professionally restored. I tried restoring it myself. And I clearly didn't know what I was doing at the time.

I had one for years and LOVED it. It really is a 3300 preamp and 250 amp under one hood.

My biggest mistake in audio was not having it professionally restored. I tried restoring it myself. And I clearly didn't know what I was doing at the time.
Good to know. I might have to call on one of our resident experts to renew it if I end up buying it. Does this amp have the double stuff filter caps?

If you get one you WILL be happy!

I'm using a 250M which is virtually the same amp and I it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. And the 3300 was always one of my favorite preamps. What's not to like?

I have restored a couple. But its been awhile. The relay will likely need to be replaced. I would have to check my notes but you can use a Omron relay and rewire it internally which just means changing two wires. To get it to fit the board requires a little modding but not hard. The unit is full of axials that should be replaced. A single LED can be installed to ensure the power light lives on.
Great build quality.

I have restored a couple. But its been awhile. The relay will likely need to be replaced. I would have to check my notes but you can use a Omron relay and rewire it internally which just means changing two wires. To get it to fit the board requires a little modding but not hard. The unit is full of axials that should be replaced. A single LED can be installed to ensure the power light lives on.
Great build quality.
Thanks for the info. I'm still negotiating, so whether I get it will depend on if I can get the price right considering the work it will take to update.

There is a member here who looks to do first class restorations on Marantz gear of that era. He sells gear on Ebay as well. I chatted with him about buying a preamp and he was very helpful. If you end up getting it send me a pm and I will pass his name on.

Great build quality.

I had one. Loved it. Relay went bad and I did the Omron thing... worked like a charm... I never did any cap work on it though... then someone came along and offered me a crazy price for it ... and I sold it. I kind of regret it , but I don't think I could have sold it for more even now a couple years later.

I still have a 4300 which, if I remember correctly, shares some similarities...

still have a 4300 which, if I remember correctly, shares some similarities...

not sure what you mean with similarities -
one is a quad amp the other stereo and the circuit are very different.

but both are great amps:)
but I do prefer the 1200.

I have one where the relay contacts had completely melted - between relay output (connected to the speaker output) and the contact that is not connected to anything.... haven't figured that one out yet...I just replace the relay and amp works great!

The main issue with theses amps, as per my experience, are the switches on the pre amp board.

robin

not sure what you mean with similarities -
one is a quad amp the other stereo and the circuit are very different.

but both are great amps:)
but I do prefer the 1200.

I have one where the relay contacts had completely melted - between relay output (connected to the speaker output) and the contact that is not connected to anything.... haven't figured that one out yet...I just replace the relay and amp works great!

The main issue with theses amps, as per my experience, are the switches on the pre amp board.

robin

I remember having both on the bench and maybe I saw the same transistors... are you sure it's not a similar circuit?

I having been using my 1200 since it was brand spanking new.... and it still sounds great! I had only one real problem with it in all of these years and that is the power switched failed a long time ago and I replaced it. The only other thing can say is that I have trouble finding a power light bulb that will stay working......

Hi Biscuithead

yes i am pretty sure.

4300 made is Japan - cheaper components

1200 in the USA - high quality components

BR
Robin

I didn't realize that Japanese made Marantz pieces had a reputation for cheaper components.... Have you been inside these 3 amps that you are talking about?

Well. If everything goes as planned, I should get the 1200 tomorrow. I just moved and it's probably going to be a couple of months before I have anything resembling a workshop, but I'm looking forward to testing this thing out and seeing how it works. I'll post pics if the deal goes through.

Well, picked up the 1200 up today. Seller says it works, but I didn't test it. Time will tell. Physically in great shape. He says he took it from an old console he bought at an estate sale. Being in a console, it was pretty protected from bumps and bruises. I'll check it out as soon as I can, but because of a long list of things to do around the new house, it might be January before I get the time to mess with it.

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 94
Hey Steven, are those shorting plugs on the back or just covers? Cool looking unit!

Back
Top Bottom