Thinking about a Marantz 1200

I believe they are shorting plugs. I guess I'm not sure of the purpose. Is it to eliminate hum when the inputs are not being used?

Come on, plug her in and let it rip!!!! So how do you like it.

I don't know you're level of experience but consider having Bob restore it. It IS worth the the expense. One of the classics in the Marantz line.

I've done one of these - full rebuild. The build quality inside is top notch. PM me if you need any pictures or info.

How does the 1120 compare to the 1200? I have an 1120 on a shelf that I have not yet gotten to. I am trying to find the missing knobs on it first. Is the 1120 also USA made?
IMG_20170613_112011.jpg

So, the saga begins..... I just moved and all of my stuff is boxed up and could not find my DBT. But the seller claimed he had been listening to CD's on it and sellers never lie...right? Actually, I had a feeling the unit was problematic, but it was so physically perfect, I gave a lowball offer and it was accepted. Anyway, decided to turn it on just to see if it would power up - no speakers. I was happy when the power light came on....for about 5 seconds. A hum started from inside the unit that grew in volume over a few seconds before I shut it down. No smoke or smell. I was thinking transformer, so I turned it back on and quickly measured voltage at the power caps to see if it was getting rail voltage. It measured +/- 51V, so that's good. Turned it back off and immediately decided I was not going to attempt to rebuild this unit. Airtime had been urging me to get Bob (wlhd1610) to rebuild it, as he has lots of experience with 240/250/1200/1250 units that are very similar. PM'ed Bob and have made arrangement to get it to him.. It's in the queue, so probably will be a while, but if he can fix it, it will be worth the wait. I told him I know some parts are difficult/impossible to obtain, so there is a chance it is unfixable. But I figure if anyone can do it, it's Bob. I'll give updates when he gets to it. Fingers crossed!
Steve

bummer sorry to hear that. maybe you should get a 4140 in the meantime to fill the wait:)
:whip:You and your quad gear. I'm gonna up and surprise you one of these days. In fact, this seller had a non-working 4230 he was selling for $100. I didn't see the unit, but I told him I wasn't really interested right now.

Sorry to hear about the 1200. When the 1200's 250 boards go I think there is some bizarre oscillation that just keeps taking replacement parts out. Unless you know that amp as well as Bob and rBuckner, you're in it DEEP.

In the BIG picture you are doing the best thing by having it restored by Bob.

Again, sorry to hear about the 1200. But when you get it back you will be TRIPLY happy!!!!!!!!!

I never pay top dollar for gear, and because of that, I know that I am occasionally going to get burned. In this case, I bought it based on physical condition, not performance. I was hoping for the best, but if it can be fixed, it will be worth the total I will spend on it, and I'll have one in better than average shape.

OK, it's been a while, but thought I would report back on the Marantz 1200 I sent off to Bob Speece (wlhd1610) for complete rebuild. He kept me updated all along the way with pics and explanations. The unit originally had a loud hum from within the unit and didn't play. He found a number of serious problems, fixed them all, replaced everything that should be replaced and applied all of the Marantz service bulletin mods. The unit was always physically fantastic, but he cleaned it up like new. Just got it hooked up and played the whole Chicago V album on vinyl. Just superb sound with zero background noise when nothing is playing. All pots and sliders are smooth as silk and no static or noise when moving them. The inside is clean enough to eat dinner off of, although probably not a good idea. Lol. Anyway, here is one photo of it as I am playing the music. Although it looks a little golden, it's really silver. It's in a room with antique style bulbs for lighting and it lends the orange hue to it. The integrated isn't as exciting looking as a big receiver, but the sound is pure joy. Thanks Bob!

560D32AE-05BB-4514-BE0D-D19901E277D1.jpeg

Just read through this thread and really enjoyed the story Steven Tate aka Bob! Don’t sell yourself short on looks... I think it’s beefy looking! I love pilot lights. Enjoy you find!

Thanks for the kind words. I knew from the beginning that I would have to have a wood case, because all of my Marantz units have wood cases. It's a WC-1, which is nearly unobtainium. So.....I bought one off of the auction site from a gentleman in.....Serbia. Good reviews and it will be custom made for the footprint of the 1200 bottom holes as measured by me. Won't be quick - maybe 4-6 weeks. But his pics and reviews make me think it will be worth it. I'll let you know if I get had twice on the same unit. :rflmao:

Very lovely looking amplifier. You will enjoy that for years to come.

What speakers are you running it with?

Thanks for the kind words. I knew from the beginning that I would have to have a wood case, because all of my Marantz units have wood cases. It's a WC-1, which is nearly unobtainium. So.....I bought one off of the auction site from a gentleman in.....Serbia. Good reviews and it will be custom made for the footprint of the 1200 bottom holes as measured by me. Won't be quick - maybe 4-6 weeks. But his pics and reviews make me think it will be worth it. I'll let you know if I get had twice on the same unit. :rflmao:
Steve,
I wish I had known you were looking for a wc-1. I have been making replica cases, and just obtained a wc-1 for a pattern. You are right that they are hard to find.... My wc-1 should be ready by May.... I will post photos when they are done....

Aaron

Very lovely looking amplifier. You will enjoy that for years to come.

What speakers are you running it with?
It will either be modified JBL L-100s (modern crossovers) or Klipsch Fortes with Crites upgrades. I prefer the JBL’s for rock (my main genre).and the Klipsch for everything else. I’ll have both the 1200 and the 2325 set up with turntables so I can go either way.

Back
Top Bottom