Thinking about a new cart for my JVC L-A31. Question re AT95E.

Joel66

First off, would the AT95E work with my TT? It has a "low mass straight tonearm" but JVC stated "Low mass improves tracking allowing the use of high compliance cartridges".

Secondly, several (i.e. MOST) of my albums fall into the good - very good range. Some are even in the fair category. Is the AT95E forgiving or fickle?

I'd thought about other carts (Nagaoka 110, Ort. OM10, Grado Black and Green) but "extra" money is scarce. Honestly, the $45 price on the AT is VERY tempting. So is the fact that I can put it on a store charge card.

Joel

First off, would the AT95E work with my TT? It has a "low mass straight tonearm" but JVC stated "Low mass improves tracking allowing the use of high compliance cartridges".

Secondly, several (i.e. MOST) of my albums fall into the good - very good range. Some are even in the fair category. Is the AT95E forgiving or fickle?

I'd thought about other carts (Nagaoka 110, Ort. OM10, Grado Black and Green) but "extra" money is scarce. Honestly, the $45 price on the AT is VERY tempting. So is the fact that I can put it on a store charge card.

Joel

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Which cartridge are you presently using with the JVC -L-A31 ? :idea:

I don't know. The shop I bought the TT at didn't remember what cart they put on. I can't find a name on it.

May be the Audio Technica AT 3600 with a generic after market stylus. :idea:

"Audio-Technica AT3600 / AT 3600, Tracking force 1.5 to 2.5 grams, Original colors red or yellow, Genuine diamond stylus, .0006 or .6 mil tip for stereo 33 & 45 rpm.

You may want to check out the following stylus:
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXSE.html

The JVC L-A31 is no slouch, IMHO. I snagged one from GW.

Here are my posts about it,...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....om20-correct-protractor.775742/#post-10774848

A mid-range TT that performs very well. It had a yellow FF 15 XE MkII cartridge on it that I swapped out immediately for an OM20.

I actually ordered another FF 15 XE MkII (black colored) for it from LP Gear because the original cart sounded just fine to my ears,...I was uncertain of the hours and service it had seen and didn't want to take any chances with my vinyl. I'd give the Ortofon a shot hands down.

The JVC L-A31 is no slouch, IMHO. I snagged one from GW.

Here are my posts about it,...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....om20-correct-protractor.775742/#post-10774848

A mid-range TT that performs very well. It had a yellow FF 15 XE MkII cartridge on it that I swapped out immediately for an OM20.

I actually ordered another FF 15 XE MkII (black colored) for it from LP Gear because the original cart sounded just fine to my ears,...I was uncertain of the hours and service it had seen and didn't want to take any chances with my vinyl. I'd give the Ortofon a shot hands down.
Thanks for posting your link.
I keep going back and forth regarding getting a new cart. I'm leaning towards buying the AT95e pre-mounted to a head shell but, the Ortofon Omega is $35 w/ free shipping.

The Audio Technica AT 95E and the Ortofon Omega are both "low compliance" type cartridges.

Not suitable for the light weight tone arm of the JVC L-A31 . :no:
Looks like I'll be sticking with the 3600 that's on it already. Thanks.

Original cart on the TT was a Z1-S, a very good cart. Try and do some searches on it to see what's comparable to it.

EDIT: When you get your cart, be sure to purchase a small jeweler's scale. They're cheap on eBay. It will get you very close to exact weight. Then use a protractor from VE to get it aligned. Be sure to read the manual about the anti-skate function/knob, too. Just saying,...

Best to you in your search!

The Audio Technica AT 95E and the Ortofon Omega are both "low compliance" type cartridges.

Not suitable for the light weight tone arm of the JVC L-A31 . :no:
This is why I posted here before placing an order. I did a search on a site for my TT. The AT95e is listed as a compatible unit. Pre mounted and aligned for $70.
Thanks for saving me a headache and hassle of buying something that wouldn't work.

Back
Top Bottom