Thinking about customizing CX500

That's an interesting take on a cx500.I had the first year and they were a very nice bike .Took one of these for a spin ,very lively.
Honda%20CX650%20Turbo%20%204.jpg

It's a great engine. I have the GL500 version. Same engine in a slightly different setup, including the monoshock. It's really easy to work on, especially doing tappet adjustments, since the valve covers are so easy to get to.
Here's mine right after my DIY paint job.

ZcvjCT7njG3HvinO7KdcwK_PWHnkkTxWasI-58XqwUnXDHPaR21CQ3X71qibi37pljbVIzJUbALAVrOUzNPRmUwqCLrNo021e-nXh6_CjyD0qHlImDcPTTTTIoTGfn62csk-SNCDTsY=w2400

Mine looked exactly like this .Very smooth fun ride expecially at 18 or so.I figured it was the poor mans moto guzzi.
hondacx500-1981-1-1024x768.jpg

Here you go. If you Google CX500 and click on images you'll see many samples but i like this one.

19_09_2016_BBCR_Honda_CX500_cafe_racer_02.jpg

Except for the Turbo I always found the CX's kind of awkward in appearance.
I considered it an endearing attribute. Bulldog-ish.
Water-cooled transverse V-twin, it was pretty innovative for the early 80s.
I thought is was pretty cool in the form of the 650 Silverwing, a (then) midsized, full-dress touring bike.

Ive always been into American and British motorbike but i really like the look of the cut down 500.

Thanks Will. I don't know all the differences yet. Although all the pix i saw of the 650 they didnt have the simple frame that is better suited to monoshock conversion.

I could be wrong, but I think all the 650's had the black lined valve cover and black engine. If you find a GL500, that already has the monoshock.
I kind of like the GL tank shape a little better too. Here's a nice clean example:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Nice under the radar bikes. Watch the early ones for cam chain issues. They look great with a little cafe treatment.
Thanks,
Andy

I like the GL tank too but the stamped steel outside frame, IMHO, dont look as clean at the CX. Is the 650 engine the same physical size as the 500?

I like the GL tank too but the stamped steel outside frame, IMHO, dont look as clean at the CX. Is the 650 engine the same physical size as the 500?

That's a good question. I'm not sure if it's bigger, but the 650 engine was definitely heavily reengineered. There are a few variants too, like the CX650C, which was a totally different frame and tank etc, to make it a full on cruiser style. Then there's the CX650 Turbo, with almost twice the horsepower. It sounds like a fun bike, but rare, and I think harder to maintain.

There is a really good forum for these bikes, http://cx500forum.com/ I haven't been on there in a while, but it's a good group of folks. Kind of like the AK of motorcycles.

Nice under the radar bikes. Watch the early ones for cam chain issues. They look great with a little cafe treatment.
Thanks,
Andy
I had the first year cx500 and the cam chain tensioner was replaced under warranty and after that no issues.My local Honda dealer had the 650 turbo but he wouldn't sell it but he did let me drive it one day .Pretty feisty once you got into the boost.

Some day, would love to get a GL1000 (Goldwing) from that era. Basically the big brother of my GL500 (Silverwing). I think it's one of the best looking bikes out there. Something about the way that flat 4 looks, sticking out from both sides. It looks really good slightly modified too. Here is a good example:

465c7f2b082b46e9d4680e97f71aa8e3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom