Thinking about HF20 Eico? What if trany goes bad

drtool

It might get loud In Houston
Subscriber
I would like to build a mono system. TT,, mono cart etc. I ran across an Eico HF20. I know every thing can be bought new. If a transformer goes south can one be bought new too?

This will be my first project. Looks like a lot of acreage under the hood . I can solder, but every thing else will be a steep learning curve. Thanks for your time.

Heyboer seems to have many of the EICO xfmrs, I read somewhere they were OEM for EICO.

Craig

Transformers rarely go bad on their own. Use quality capacitors, so those parts don't fail and take out the transformer. Also a fuse on the primary side is a good idea.

What they said. If its currently working, its unlikely to die unless the amp is run with bad parts. I've honestly seldom had bad transformers in things even dating to the 1920s. The couple that I have seen probably would have been fine if they had included a fuse or the right fuse. I've had stuff smoked that had some gigantic fuse stuffed in after the original presumably popped.

Thanks, It will be totally restored. Time and money are tight ,so trying to look before I leap. I do plan to play 78s and I noticed 2 curves for them (78s)

I've redone 3 of them and found them to be very friendly to work on. The trannies are among their best attributes, and I agree with what others have said on that topic.

One thing to watch out for with the HF20 (and many other Eicos) is that they put the power switch on the rotary treble pot. It is a difficult part to replace if you need to, and it is in a vulnerable place there in the corner. If you have one shipped to you, request that they take extra care when they pack it up (double boxed).

RWood

Thanks RWood. Local pick up for me.I will have to come up with a cool on/off switch. I did not know about treble pot. I guess to save money is why Eico did it that way.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with two HF-12s. Not so hot initial build along with not so hot recap. The primary filter cap and can cap have been replaced with single caps, no problem there. None of the other electrolytic were replaced and those are the ones that ARE bad, can cap tests good on ESR meter and cap meter.

Anyhow the point of this reply is that one of the power xfmrs has been replaced because the original looks to have overheated and stained the chassis along the bobbin. So they do go bad for whatever reason. Being a kit build might have something to do with it.

Craig

Your story is a good illustration of what the previous posters have been saying about replacing components to protect the output tx.

Back
Top Bottom