Thinking of adding a sub with my DQ-10s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CavScout, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CavScout

CavScout Active Member

I am thinking of adding a sub with my Dahlquist speakers but I don't even know how or what product to buy.
    can anyone recommend something perhaps?
    perhaps something that is listed on eBay and something that is vintage ?
    I guess I will have to run this sub from a different amp ?

2. nexus

nexus Super Member

tmk, Dahlquist made a sub to go with their DQ series speakers. probably nowadays you could find a decent PE sub that would perform better..

3. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Depends what you buy.

Many subs these days have built-in amplifiers and some controls to facilitate dialing it in.

4. CavScout

CavScout Active Member

Yes, the DQ-1 , I just would prefer not to wait for one to show up for sale on EBay

5. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Dahlquist had available the DQ-LP1 Continuously Variable Low Pass Filter (electronic crossover) the MX-1 passive crossover and the DQ-1W to use with either of these.

The woofer uses a 13" Seas driver and you can use it with either the MX-1 or use one, two or 4 with the LP-1.

The LP-1 has a passive crossover to the main speakers, a highly desirable feature today as these still get some good coin. With stereo subs and/or mono blended subs, you can power 4 amps for 4 subs with it. The MX-1 has the one mono sub output and uses you main amp for power. Where are you located?

6. CavScout

CavScout Active Member

...and my brain just melted as the ramistan jigglebobbed the friction evaporator's dynafow setting

7. CavScout

CavScout Active Member

I am in Calgary Alberta Canada

8. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used a Velodyne sub from Craigslist with my DQ-10s. I think it was $50.

The sub had a 300 watt amp and crossover built in and was super easy to integrate with the Dahlquists. I set the crossover at 50 Hz and used very little volume on it. It fleshed out the low end extremely well

9. CavScout

CavScout Active Member

This is the only Dahlquist sub near me.
    It is a bit modern for my taste