Thinking of buying a 2nd motorcycle

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
I've been mulling it over and I keep ping ponging between a vintage 250 2 stroke enduro type with lights or a 1970's Suzuki T500 twin 2 stroke on the other side is the Yamaha TMax 500cc maxi scooter that's a little more practical and a jump on grocery getter that's still fun.

Whata you think.

Your suggestions have led me to realize 500cc's is going to be the engine size limit for the next bike.

Last edited:
SUZY T500 brings back a hilarious memory.Friend was driving and brother was passenger with case of beer between them.He took off from a red light and next thing you know his brother is sitting in the middle of the street with the seat underneath him and hanging on to the beer!

I've been mulling it over and I keep ping ponging between a vintage 250 2 stroke enduro type with lights or a 1970's Suzuki T500 twin 2 stroke on the other side is the Yamaha TMax 500cc maxi scooter that's a little more practical and a jump on grocery getter that's still fun.

Whata you think.
What is the other current Ride you already have?

Vintage 2 smoke's not for the faint of heart. if you know your way around wrenches and 2 strokes, go for it. If not, small bore modern.

Whata you think.

Well if you trip over one of these the fun factor is high. In it's day it wowed everyone.
https://www.cycleworld.com/suzuki-x...cycle-history-cycle-world-classics-remembered

Haven't seen a two-stroke on the streets in decades.....It would
be novel to see one of these polluters on the road LOL.... ;-)

What is the other current Ride you already have?

2018 Moto Guzzi California Touring

30204074037_54ee0724c3_h.jpg

Vintage 2 smoke's not for the faint of heart. if you know your way around wrenches and 2 strokes, go for it. If not, small bore modern.
I grew up with them and find them very easy to work on. I didn't list a Kow 750 or 500 because I know them to be the evil handling bikes they are. The Suzuki T500 Titian especially the later ones are thought by many to be one of the finest 2 strokes made.

View attachment 1379677
I highly recommend and suggest you consider one of these.
GSX-S1000F ABS it has the GSXR 1000 motor from 2005 slightly detuned.
It is VERY COMFORTABLE and the handle bars sit up MUCH HIGHER than the Full-On sport bike.

50mpg when you stay out of the Throttle.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-S1000/2018/GSXS1000FA.aspx

Not really my style. Already have a big bore bike and for me I can guarantee at 64 years of age it's more comfortable. You get the Guzzi out on the highway and it doesn't get much smoother and it's a damn sexy bike. Thank you for the suggestion

Last edited:
If I had your big road bike and was looking for a fun bike to blast around town on it would be a supermoto. They are pretty much motocross bikes with street tires and lights. I'm pretty sure Yamaha and Suzuki have older ones, there are lots of expensive new ones. Dirt bike flickability and low weight on the street. What fun.
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to take an enduro bike and do some mods for a very similar style ride.
Something kinda like this

supermotoramdom.jpg

If I had your big road bike and was looking for a fun bike to blast around town on it would be a supermoto. They are pretty much motocross bikes with street tires and lights. I'm pretty sure Yamaha and Suzuki have older ones, there are lots of expensive new ones. Dirt bike flickability and low weight on the street. What fun.
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to take an enduro bike and do some mods for a very similar style ride.
Something kinda like this

View attachment 1379774
Not to be a buzzkill, but I'm old school and that is waay too fugly for the street.
Ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom