Thinking of buying a 2nd motorcycle

2018 Moto Guzzi California Touring

30204074037_54ee0724c3_h.jpg

I grew up with them and find them very easy to work on. I didn't list a Cow 750 or 500 because I know them to be the evil handling bikes they are. The Suzuki T500 Titian especially the later ones are thought by many to be one of the finest 2 strokes made.

Not really my style. Already have a big bore bike and for me I can guarantee at 64 years of age it's more comfortable. You get the Guzzi out on the highway and it doesn't get much smoother and it's a damn sexy bike. Thank you for the suggestion
Just for kicks..
Look at what Kawasaki brought back from 1973 !
Z900RS CAFE
MSRP $11,699
US_18ZR900E_101GN1DRF1CG_A.png
https://m.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/z/retro-sport/z900rs-abs?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-MPP

A Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter are pricy but fun , dependable and are truly like a Goldwing mini .

Seeing that vintage bikes are in play here I'll throw in one that I've always had an interest in.
That would be the Honda Ascots,and for me preferably the VT-500 vs. the FT-500.
Now if I scored a real good deal on an FT I guess I could work with it no problemo.

Perfect chasing around town sorta bike,with a nod to Honda's "flat track" history.
IMO it would also be a fun one to mod too.

Honestly I'm a bit gonzo for anything flat track related...

JM2¢

Nowadays the kids (and MC marketing types) are calling these scramblers I guess ??? :dunno:

Bret P.

Seeing that vintage bikes are in play here I'll throw in one that I've always had an interest in.
That would be the Honda Ascots,and for me preferably the VT-500 vs. the FT-500.
Now if I scored a real good deal on an FT I guess I could work with it no problemo.

Perfect chasing around town sorta bike,with a nod to Honda's "flat track" history.
IMO it would also be a fun one to mod too.

Honestly I'm a bit gonzo for anything flat track related...

JM2¢

Nowadays the kids (and MC marketing types) are calling these scramblers I guess ??? :dunno:

Bret P.
There happens to be a nice FT-500 on CL near me. https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lexington-1982-honda-ft500-ascot/6782884131.html

I've even considered one of the Yamaha TW200's

A Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter are pricy but fun , dependable and are truly like a Goldwing mini .
I've had a Yamaha Majesty 400cc and liked it. Of the cruiser scooters the Silverwing stands out to me. I really like the styling of the Yamaha TMax sport scooter smaller and lighter. 500cc's is going to be the engine size limit for the next bike.

Last edited:
OK, say you settle on a smoker. You better ride it all the time or use ethanol free gas. let it sit for a couple of weeks and you going to have to pull the carbs.

OK, say you settle on a smoker. You better ride it all the time or use ethanol free gas. let it sit for a couple of weeks and you going to have to pull the carbs.
No pre-mix in the Titan, Suzuki had unique point of lubrication oiling system, the blend occurs in the crankcase *after* the bearings are oiled.

As the owner of both a 1971 Yamaha CT1-C 175 and 1967 Yamaha YR-1 Grand Prix 350 (the RD350's Grandpa!).... I like the way you are thinking :)

Find yourself a 1974 DT 360 or 1970-73 RT 360 and put some street worthy dual sport tires on it!

Yamaha : XS 1978 yamaha xs 650 special

I ever show you my last XS650? ;-}

1983%20yamaha%20totaled.jpg

Anyway, excellent machines. I've had several over the years, including a brand new in the crate 1971 fresh off the drawing board.

1971XS650.jpg

Always considered them to be a Triumph Bonneville done RIGHT!

I ever show you my last XS650? ;-}

1983%20yamaha%20totaled.jpg

Anyway, excellent machines. I've had several over the years, including a brand new in the crate 1971 fresh off the drawing board.

1971XS650.jpg

Always considered them to be a Triumph Bonneville done RIGHT!
Right, but had a rep as shakers. I've admired them nonetheless, and easy on the eyes.

As the owner of both a 1971 Yamaha CT1-C 175 and 1967 Yamaha YR-1 Grand Prix 350 (the RD350's Grandpa!).... I like the way you are thinking :)

Find yourself a 1974 DT 360 or 1970-73 RT 360 and put some street worthy dual sport tires on it!

I can say if a decent 250 Montesa King Scorpion pops up the search will be over. Test rode one when I was a kid and it was blazing fast for a 250 and it didn't hurt it's beautiful. Liked that it was more of a TT bike.

I can say if a decent 250 Montesa King Scorpion pops up the search will be over. Test rode one when I was a kid and it was blazing fast for a 250 and it didn't hurt it's beautiful. Liked that it was more of a TT bike.
The Montesas, Bultacos, and the like were good looking bikes back then, the newer offroad bikes have evolved into something better suited for the purpose, but less appealing for/on the street.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one with all the unpainted plastic on it ain't real pretty. I picked it as an example because it sounds like the OP want something older and not too pricey. The newer ones look like this, the fun factor would definitely outweigh and concerns about its appearance.

View attachment 1379893

View attachment 1379894
For myself, they have little visual appeal and probably not a good physical fit otherwise. For someone thin, young, and flexible perhaps.

Right, but had a rep as shakers. I've admired them nonetheless, and easy on the eyes.

Ever see one "walking" backwards on the center stand when you rev it up? Always good for a hoot ... <G>

Fun chops too. Here's the first one I did back around '72 ...

72XS650fatboy.jpg

Hey you can't just have ONE Guzzi :) They are pack animals and need company! I have two now and the guy who got me into them has 4.

Get a nice spine frame V11 Sport for the short trips around town. You'll feel like a kid again :)

jblnut

IMG_20180720_174511_hdr.jpg

Hey you can't just have ONE Guzzi :) They are pack animals and need company! I have two now and the guy who got me into them has 4.

Get a nice spine frame V11 Sport for the short trips around town. You'll feel like a kid again :)

jblnut

View attachment 1380077
I had serious hots for a Californian back in the day, but that didn't happen.
Living the dream on this these days.
5469.jpeg

jblnut

View attachment 1380077

Don't think I haven't thought about it. There's just something about a Guzzi that if you like them draws you in and the thought of a second one is always lurking.
I could pick up a brand new 2017 V9 Roamer for 6300 and it's tempting. If anyone's interested it's at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati OH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom