Thinking of getting a classic muscle car .....

Osibisa

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Thoughts and opinions on a '71 Mercury Cyclone?

Although I'm traditionally a MOPAR guy, if I can't find an exact replacement for the "72 fully optioned Sebring Plus once owned or a similar GTX, the Cyclone really floats my boat.

A Cyclone would be a good choice, somewhat under the radar at the moment and available with a big block.

I was a owner of a fairly muscular 1970 superbee,but ive always had a soft spot for a 70/71 cyclone spoiler.My friends brother had a big block scj that I could of got for a song .I cry everytime I think about how cheap I was by not buying it .Imagine one with a nice stout 600hp or so coyote engine in it.

A Cyclone would be a good choice, somewhat under the radar at the moment and available with a big block.

Absolutely agree with @davidb1 on this. With the big block you can have as much fun with it as the Chevy and MOPAR guys do with theirs at a fraction of the cost.

But of course, if you find a '67 Dodge Coronet 500 with the 440 BB, Torqueflite & center console with buckets...snap that one up!

6.jpg

Father had a Cyclone 429CJ. I got a few tickets in that car. Circa 1970. These days, what do you do with it besides wax it?

^^^^^^^Big block muscle. Dad never took his out of 3rd gear. I did some stupid shit in that car. Looking back my father was a fool for giving an 18yr. old the keys.

If I was going to buy a muscle car it would be 1970 or earlier. Horsepower numbers dropped in '71 and it's my belief the earlier cars are more collectible. That's not saying there are no great cars 71 and later, just that they are less desirable to collectors.

If I was going to buy a muscle car it would be 1970 or earlier. Horsepower numbers dropped in '71 and it's my belief the earlier cars are more collectible. That's not saying there are no great cars 71 and later, just that they are less desirable to collectors.
That's pretty much how collector prices go,,,,, with one exception.71 Hemi Cuda, same rated HP as 70 and usually worth more at auction because of the one year only styling. ;)

Pre-`71 is definitely the way to fly....the quality and performance suffered drastically after that turning point. A few unexpected (and underappreciated) models from companies like American Motors can sometimes be found for a reasonable price.
My wife`s first car was a 1970 Mercury Cougar XR-7, with a 390 motor and C6 auto trans....wish we still had it !

Back
Top Bottom