Thinking of getting a classic muscle car .....

There's an officer than lives near my former boss that had a couple cool cars.

He had this one which was his main classic car:

index.php
That's the car that was the inspiration for this thrrad.

Pull the other leg, as in "you're just funnin' us, right". :D
Nope, no BS here. I believe I read that in Musclecar Review a few years ago. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense. I seem to recall in the article that removing the entire grill in one of those Cyclone's is a pain in the butt so one of the designers came up with the idea. I'm not a Ford fan at all but I think it's one of their better ideas. Done a few cam swaps in my time and any way it can be made easier is ok by me. ;)

Nope, no BS here. I believe I read that in Musclecar Review a few years ago. If you think about it, it kinda makes sense. I seem to recall in the article that removing the entire grill in one of those Cyclone's is a pain in the butt so one of the designers came up with the idea. I'm not a Ford fan at all but I think it's one of their better ideas. Done a few cam swaps in my time and any way it can be made easier is ok by me. ;)
Nonsense. There was plenty of room to do whatever you wanted under that long hood. Besides, so you get the grille out of the way, now what do you do with the radiator and rad support?

Interesting story about that grille, though. It isn't exactly removable ... it's hinged! It actually flips up. Reason is, they had to get that bulbous nose out of the way in order to fit a headlight alignment testing apparatus in states that required it for annual inspections.

Now that's a true fact!

Last edited:
have not followed closely, but pulling rads, ac cores and grilles is a cheap way to get the cam out, without the engine out....

Nonsense. There was plenty of room to do whatever you wanted under that long hood. Besides, so you get the grille out of the way, now what do you do with the radiator and rad support?

Interesting story about that grille, though. It isn't exactly removable ... it's hinged! It actually flips up. Reason is, they had to get that bulbous nose out of the way in order to fit a headlight alignment testing apparatus in states that required it for annual inspections.

Now that's a true fact!
OK, I'll buy that. Not sure why Musclecar Review would post bogus info though as they are all about these cars in stock or day two form. P.S. Only the rad would have to come out. The support is wide open on most cars to allow air flow through the rad. ;)

OK, I'll buy that. Not sure why Musclecar Review would post bogus info though as they are all about these cars in stock or day two form.
I dunno why either, but on an Olds site where I'm a member they're frequently called into question for inaccuracy. They're just not the same since the Hot Rod (Petersen) guys took over.

You are, of course, absolutely right about the radiator. :oops:

A bit of trivia. You know why the grill has the gun sight thing in the center? So you didn't have to pull the whole grill off when doing a cam change. ;) It was removable

That may be true, but it is not why the Cyclone had that feature. In 69 Ford hired Pontiac president Bunkie Knudson and he transformed the Cyclone and more horribly the Thunderbird in having Pontiac pointy grills. I read Lee Iacocca's auto biography and he had a bunch about Bunkie Knudson. The Grills, and Knudson, did not last long at Ford. By 73 the pointy grills were vastly reduced after sales tanked.

Ford-Thunderbird_1970_800px_wallpaper_02-1.jpg

I dunno why either, but on an Olds site where I'm a member they're frequently called into question for inaccuracy. They're just not the same since the Hot Rod (Petersen) guys took over.

You are, of course, absolutely right about the radiator. :oops:
Thanks for your honesty and candor noogies, it's appreciated. :)

have not followed closely, but pulling rads, ac cores and grilles is a cheap way to get the cam out, without the engine out....

Thats how the cam came out of my Towncar. Apparently on the Crown Vic you need to pull the grille to get enough clearance to get the last journal out of the block, the Lincoln is longer up front and it comes out just fine.

Loved those 70 Pontiac's. I had the Catalina in that horrible flat green that half the cars on the road were back then lol

stock image

59975993-500-0.jpg
My best friend had two Grand Prix......a 69 and a 71. The 69 had the 400 H.O. and would flat out haul ass. He spanked my 351 Mustang every time. His 71 was fast but I could take him if I got the jump. My Mustang has a 2.75 rear end so off the line is not so hot. Kick down on the freeway I smoked him every time. It upshifts 2-3 at 90 .

Back
Top Bottom