Thinking of getting some Mac gear

Does Mcintosh make a nice tube receiver ?
From what I have read over time on this forum Mcintosh tube receivers did NOT use unity coupled output transformers. A step down from the amps.

Does Mcintosh make a nice tube receiver ?
As 62caddy pointed out, both the 1500 & 1700 utilized tube components. FWIW, it was a Mac 1700 that I was first exposed to via an older sibling of a close friend when I was in my mid teens that got me hooked.
This was at a time when Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, etc, ruled mainstream hi fi systems. Nothing sounded quite like it.
Even today, I use a Mac 1700 as a second smaller system. Nothing lacking in sound quality there.

I own the MAC1500 and find it an excellent receiver especially the tuner, in fact I prefer the tuner in the MAC1500 to my Mr-71. Build quality is exceptional and the 7591 have a real rich sound. Highly recommended.

I own the MAC1500 and find it an excellent receiver especially the tuner, in fact I prefer the tuner in the MAC1500 to my Mr-71. Build quality is exceptional and the 7591 have a real rich sound. Highly recommended.

I didn't realize the 1500 used 7591 output tubes. My Fisher 500b uses the same and they sound incredible. Rich is a good word to use to describe the sound.

I owned and restored an SX-1250 at the same time I owned a MAC4300V. I would say the two were equivalent sound wise. I still have the MAC 4300V and sold the SX -1250 but that was more to take advantage of very high values for the SX-1250 at the time I sold it, not a preference for one over the other. So, to the OP, if you're looking for something dramatically better, you won't find it. If you are looking for something cool and vintage, an early MAC receiver with a tube output stage and a tube tuner would give you a window into what great hifi sounded like in the 60's.
Tom

7591s are the pinnacle in tubes IHMO. I had a really nice Sherwood S5000 II with 7868s for a while as well, also stellar.

Back
Top Bottom