This is Hawkwind weather

Toka

Space Cadet
Dunno why, but every year around this time all the Hawkwind records are in steady rotation...not that its a bad thing. :yes: They've always been one of my all-time favorites, but for whatever reason its extra sweet when the air gets chilly...they historically would tour this time too...maybe its the stars? :scratch2:

Good to meet other Hawkwind fans.
Space Ritual is prob my all-around favorite HW album.
Love to put HW down to mp3 and use for for rock climbing.
Unfortunately, I have to be alone at home to play HW without being questioned by normal human beings.

I have a half dozen albums I cleaned and listened to earlier in the year. They have definitely stood the test of time and one or two will enter my regular rotation at some point.

meggy said:

Space Ritual huh? Haven't heard that one... I'll have to check it out!

Thanks! :thmbsp:

Scott

Oh yea, you GOTTA get Space Ritual...one of the all-time best live albums, period! Of any genre.

My favorite records from them otherwise are Hall Of The Mountain Grill and Warrior On The Edge Of Time. I've also recently gotten more into the later, post-Lemmy/Nik Turner stuff, with Bob Calvert as the frontman. Not as good, but different and cool on its own. Speaking of Nik Turner, I saw him play a solo show in Philly a few years ago...he was one of the most outwardly friendly people I've ever met, and put on a killer show. Not too often you get to see a rock legend up close, let alone thanking you for coming to see him! :smoke:

Glad to know there are other 'wind fans on the board...cheers!

meggy said:
Good to meet other Hawkwind fans.
Love to put HW down to mp3 and use for for rock climbing.
Unfortunately, I have to be alone at home to play HW without being questioned by normal human beings.
Hawkwind! Yea!
Space Ritual!! Yea, Yea!! :music:

.... do not panic....

10 seconds to forever, Sonic attack -

(that's when the parents knew something wasn't quite "NORML"...)

Iminate SONIC destruction!!! Yeah!! Other humans who know about Hawkwind. I thought that they were Englands Grateful Dead and not many here caught on.

What a super tight, utterly creative, FAR out, band!! Someone mentioned never hearing "Space Ritual". Its hard to believe that there is a fan of Hawkwind who has never heard of "Space Ritual". Reason being, since I discovered "Space Ritual" I have listened to some later albums and not thought as nearly as much of the material. I think EVERYONE should hear "Space Ritual" at least once. I have the LP and the CD.

I also have "In Search Of Space" and another live recording, "In The Beginning" (I think its live). Its been a while....

Crap!
I've never heard OF Hawkwind until seeing this post.
Showing my age, I guess.
I like the Beatles, Stones & Led Zep. Would one or another Hawkwind albums be something I might like. Those three bands aren't the only ones I like, my listening tastes are eclectic to say the least.

bully

Let me send you a CD. PM an address, if you want it. They're too good to miss, but keep an open mind.

Bully, you seem to like what some refer to as "head music". Based on that you will CERTAINLY like Hawkwind. Just don't go out and grab some recording from later in their career. Start at or near the beginning. I 100% recommend "Space Ritual" as something that will likely be treasured in your collection. I don't want to get started on another rant on bands weakening with age. With the exception of the Beatles I think the two other bands you mentioned are prime examples. I think The Beatles got better with age but that is largely due to perfect timing in the decade of the 1960's.

Can you imagine "In Through The Out Door" being your first taste of Zeppelin? How about "Steel Wheels" being your first Stones listen. Both decent efforts but not super impressive to me. If they were my first examples I may not have saw what the big deal is. Same with Hawkwind.

I think the recommended double live LP is around 1971. Great days for experimental stereo effects and space rock.

Oh yeah, I like Hawkwind. I have everything up to and including Hall Of The Mountain Grill. Admittedly, I haven't heard anything past that album. And I love Motorhead of which I have several albums.

I'd like to get Warrior On The Edge Of Time (last album with Lemmy on board) but the only copy I can find is this remaster out of France on the Red Fox Records label. Plus, it's $23. Anybody have a recent copy/remaster or can offer some advice?

Warrior On The Edge Of Time

Not to change the subject but if you guys like Hawkwind, you'll most likely dig the Ozric Tentacles who are most definitely wearing that influence on their sleaves.

Tubejunke said:
Iminate SONIC destruction!!! Yeah!! Other humans who know about Hawkwind. I thought that they were Englands Grateful Dead and not many here caught on.

What a super tight, utterly creative, FAR out, band!! Someone mentioned never hearing "Space Ritual". Its hard to believe that there is a fan of Hawkwind who has never heard of "Space Ritual". Reason being, since I discovered "Space Ritual" I have listened to some later albums and not thought as nearly as much of the material. I think EVERYONE should hear "Space Ritual" at least once. I have the LP and the CD.

I also have "In Search Of Space" and another live recording, "In The Beginning" (I think its live). Its been a while....

What was the name of that album again... it's on the tip of my tongue... Space... ;) :thmbsp:

Scott

Toka said:
Dunno why, but every year around this time all the Hawkwind records are in steady rotation...not that its a bad thing. :yes: They've always been one of my all-time favorites, but for whatever reason its extra sweet when the air gets chilly...they historically would tour this time too...maybe its the stars? :scratch2:

I didn't know much about Hawkwind, but when I have played some Ozric Tentacles for folks, some of them have said it reminded them of Hawkwind. I have since heard some cuts from Hawkwind, and I can see the similarity, I guess. Have you tried anything from Ozric Tentacles? They have been around for quite a while, but I just think they keep getting better and better!

--Bob

Back
Top Bottom