This is Hawkwind weather

Re: Ozric Tentacles... I'm not the best at categorizing bands, but they are a British (psych? space-prog?) band that got a following on the festival circuit in England in the 80's. They've had a fair amount of personnel changes over the years, but each "era" in their history has produced interesting, engaging music for the mind. I would suggest the "Spirals in Hyperspace" CD from a couple years ago as one of their better efforts, even though that one was mainly the output of their core guy with some help from others on a few cuts. The title song or "Psychic Chasm" will drive your woofers to their utmost, there are some very LOW synth tones in the mix. I also like earlier CD's "Curious Corn", "Waterfall Cities" and "Become the Other". They have no vocals, just a tight-tight-tight rhythm section of bass and percussion, slashing guitar, and otherworldly synths. I like to think of their music as the soundtrack to the movies in your head.

--Bob

The title song or "Psychic Chasm" will drive your woofers to their utmost, there are some very LOW synth tones in the mix.
I saw them that tour, it was very cool. :)

Carl

Drybasement said:
I'd like to get Warrior On The Edge Of Time (last album with Lemmy on board) but the only copy I can find is this remaster out of France on the Red Fox Records label. Plus, it's $23. Anybody have a recent copy/remaster or can offer some advice?

That is the only way you can buy a (new) copy of Warrior on CD today. Thats a problem, as this version is a bootleg. Not a 'true blue' bootleg, but a 'backdoor deal' bootleg...rumor has it that a 'certain' member of the band quietly releases OOP albums on shill labels as a means to deny paying former members...the Rock Fever label (same as Red Fox?) doesn't exist. Bogus web address and everything. The packaging is poor, but the sound is good. I believe it is a direct copy of the Griffin Records version, which was previously the best (avoid the Dojo version, as this was a vinyl dub that varies in speed throughout the album). I'd suggest getting the original vinyl if you want to hear it, and if you want the CD, try eBay (but prepare to pay for the Griffin version). Or by the 'import' if you just want it now. You gotta get it one way or another, as its probably the best studio work they ever did...two drummers, Lemmy, the whole deal! Plus CD reissues include the original version of the song "Motorhead" which you are no doubt familiar with. :banana:

As for Ozric Tentacles, big fan of them too...have several albums, saw them maybe two years ago in a small club. I even interviewed them for a website but the tape was crap, couldn't use it. They had Harry (son of Roger) Waters on keys for that tour. Not with them anymore...seemed annoyed at the name attention. Well, duh! Anyway, for people wanting to get into the Ozrics, they have a 2-CD comp called "Eternal Wheel"...good intro to their catalog. Hawkwind has a 3-CD comp called "Epoch-Eclipse" which is good too, but you are probably better off just getting Space Ritual and another studio album...the comp has a lot of their later, not-quite-that-great material on it.

Thanks Toka.

I knew that Rock Fever label was bogus and suspected the same with this Red Fox thing but wanted to ask anyway. If you say the sound is good then I'll snag that one.

Cheers

I am just hoping that Ozric Tentacles is not a "techno" band. I guess even mention of the 80's scares me musically.

I need to watch it because Hawkwind may be the godfathers of "Techno". Think about it. The same as some say that the Mc5 and The Velvet Underground were "Punk" originators. I don't see it that way. I don't like much "Punk" or "Techno", but I really like what I have heard from the other bands mentioned. Mostly I don't like the sound, vibe, or styles of the 80's. Just a bad decade IMHO....

Thanks for mentioning Hawkwind - signed ex-teenager

I was reading Most Recent Posts and the word Hawkwind jogged my brain cells. I love Hawkwind but have not listened to the albums in twenty years. Can't type more now, got to go dig through my old albums, find Hall of the Mountain Grill and play it through headphones at midnight. Just like being a teenager again. ThankS!!

Durski said:
I was reading Most Recent Posts and the word Hawkwind jogged my brain cells. I love Hawkwind but have not listened to the albums in twenty years. Can't type more now, got to go dig through my old albums, find Hall of the Mountain Grill and play it through headphones at midnight. Just like being a teenager again. ThankS!!

Sounds like a winning plan! 'Hall' got a run-through twice this past weekend. :banana:

I'm probably late answering this...

Hawkfan for 23 years, have all the albums, and all because one day I saw the clip of Silver Machine and noticed Lemmy;( what the hell is he doing there, I thought)
Now I'm probably the biggest collector of Hawkwind in my country.
Life has never been the same. Thank you Dave, Nik and Lemmy, for opening me a new world full of Space,Kraut and Prog.

Long time fan of Warrior ...!
Never seen them - but a fan!

Oh yea, you GOTTA get Space Ritual...one of the all-time best live albums, period! Of any genre.

My favorite records from them otherwise are Hall Of The Mountain Grill and Warrior On The Edge Of Time. I've also recently gotten more into the later, post-Lemmy/Nik Turner stuff, with Bob Calvert as the frontman. Not as good, but different and cool on its own. Speaking of Nik Turner, I saw him play a solo show in Philly a few years ago...he was one of the most outwardly friendly people I've ever met, and put on a killer show. Not too often you get to see a rock legend up close, let alone thanking you for coming to see him! :smoke:

Glad to know there are other 'wind fans on the board...cheers!

Hi HJames

I guess that in the most remote corners of this planet there's a Hawkwind fan.

Saw them 3 years ago in Reverence Festival in Portugal, and Brock with 74 years old still managed to melt my ears.
And Nik, I had the uncanny luck of watching him play twice in a day, and yes, he Space-Rocked everyone in the gig.
When that flute and the sax appeared, it was pure magic, it literally got everyone's attention. Couldn't stop thanking him after the gig.:rockon:

I like the post-Lemmy period, mainly Quark, being a big fan of Calvert.

Have you ever heard Xitintoday by Nik? A massive album, with some Gong musicians, a must have.:music:

Well, I do have Calvert's Captain Lockheed - got it when a local record shop closed down many years ago!
And as for Hawkwind, got records 2, 3, 4 (Hall) and 5 (Warrior)
and a lot of Gong and Hillage stuff from the glory years ...

Hi HJames

I guess that in the most remote corners of this planet there's a Hawkwind fan.

Saw them 3 years ago in Reverence Festival in Portugal, and Brock with 74 years old still managed to melt my ears.
And Nik, I had the uncanny luck of watching him play twice in a day, and yes, he Space-Rocked everyone in the gig.
When that flute and the sax appeared, it was pure magic, it literally got everyone's attention. Couldn't stop thanking him after the gig.:rockon:

I like the post-Lemmy period, mainly Quark, being a big fan of Calvert.

Have you ever heard Xitintoday by Nik? A massive album, with some Gong musicians, a must have.:music:

Well, I do have Calvert's Captain Lockheed - got it when a local record shop closed down many years ago!
And as for Hawkwind, got records 2, 3, 4 (Hall) and 5 (Warrior)
and a lot of Gong and Hillage stuff from the glory years ...

Now, Captain Lockheed is a great piece, Bob was "spaced-out", but a poetry and spoken-word true genius.
Him and Moorcock writing for the band gave quite the impulse to the Mothership Hawkwind.

And Stacia, of course...

Back
Top Bottom