THIS IS NOT YOUR FATHERS TD-124

bob06

Addicted Member
IMG_0299.JPG It started back when I did the Ultimate Edition 124. When I was able to isolate the motor from the plinth it opened up other possibilities. So I decided to try them out. This is not my low serial # 124 it is another chassis I bought that was missing a lot of parts and was in rough shape. My original 124 will remain stock.

That being said lets move on. I started this months ago and still have months left to the finish. As you can see from the pictures there is a lot of thinking, measuring and machining involved in pulling this one off. Luckily I built the plinth with these mods in mind so not much had to be done to the plinth. So what about a 124 with Isolated motor, dual belts and dual idlers. You will think I went over the edge. IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0303.JPG :crazy: More to come. ;)

I am in. I love hanging out at the edge. No kill, like over kill.

After a lot of measuring I figured out I could drop everything down 13mm the thickness of the stepped pulley and everything would still work. Even the Eddy Brake. :naughty:

For the people that are interested I lowered and shortened everything by 13mm except for the stepped pulley shaft and the idler shaft. Stepped pulley shaft was lengthened by 13mm. Idler shaft by 5mm.

just a thought, get them belts talc'd good. There's gonna be a whole lotta "averaging" going on........lookin good so far.

The reason for the twin belts are for less belt slippage better speed control. If it works. I had my high powered drill connected to the step pulley and spun everything at different speeds up to 3,000 rpms and it worked fine. I lot of starting and stopping and the belts stay on. I have no doubts that it will spin the platter just fine. But how well is the question.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! Have you benchmarked performance "before" so you'll know if you've achieved measurable improvement?

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! Have you benchmarked performance "before" so you'll know if you've achieved measurable improvement?
I've been playing with a 124 for years. I know what they can do and what they cannot. I have done a lot of mods to it over the years. Some work some don't. Will these mods work? Time will tell. Does it give me something to do and keep me out of trouble? Maybe. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom