This is rather depressing...

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Keizer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I recently purchased what was my holy grail of vintage gear. Something I would actually keep and not turn around and sell down the road. A Marantz 2385 in original mint condition. It was as described when it arrived. I have bought many vintage pieces but when I unboxed this beast it was just like unboxing a brand new piece from 1977. I couldn't find a flaw on it. That is until I found a slightly damaged area on the case in the rear lower corner. Which as it turns out slightly bent the lower steel support frame which created a slight bulge underneath. Everything functions perfectly, but it really upsets me because this would have been as perfect as perfect gets when you buy vintage gear. I could actually easily fix this bend if I had the lower steel piece out. But that would involve some work. I hate that these beautiful pieces of history are shipped all over the country.

Here's some pics of this beauty, and also the damage. I'm really depressed!

Attached Files:

2. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I filed a claim with Fed X since it was insured, but that doesn't really fix the issue.

3. NH-MAN

NH-MAN AK Subscriber Subscriber

I for one would be really happy that was the only flaw, only you will know

Very nice BTW

4. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

I'll bet it sounds much better than the 2385 I don't have.

5. tonebells

tonebells AK Subscriber Subscriber

:thumbsup:

ETLS likes this.
  6. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have to play devil's advocate here. How do you know for sure that this damage wasn't present prior to purchase? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this was an online purchase. This type of damage would have been difficult to capture in a photo. It could have been a pre-existent condition.

Also, was the receiver double-boxed and sufficiently padded when it arrived?

7. pdm4606

pdm4606 Super Member

Beyond this issue this recvr looks great. I know a dozen methods to straighten out this but I would be one that would not mess with it.
    Imagine, if it were to be stolen how easy it would be to identify. Just a thought.

8. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

The seller boxed it really well. But the puncture went through both boxes.
    Yes it was bought off the bay. The seller has been on ebay since 2005 with a 100% positive feed back so there was no reason for him to lie. I asked for additional detailed photos with time stamps before purchase. It all looked good. Besides, I can stick my finger through the puncture that goes through both boxes. Yes It was a box in a box with more padding that I would think was necessary.

9. eiraved

That's an indicator of rough handling, and it's too bad you didn't catch that immediately. The shipper can use that against you and claim that you caused the damage.

I'll bet it was shipped the slow method (ground) and took a few days to arrive. I've shipped a few heavy receivers, and paying for ground shipping means more hands touch the package. More hands increases the odds of a dropped package, which may incur damage being heavy as it is. I actually triple-boxed a rare Rotel receiver shipped to a buyer in Germany. It arrived in one piece and the buyer was very happy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. audiobeer

audiobeer AK Subscriber Subscriber

That sucks because FedEx will deal with the shipper not you.

11. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I caught it as soon as I inspected the unit. 30 minutes in or so.

12. eiraved

I saw the quote above and assumed you found the damage at a later time / date. My bad, but it's good for your case!

13. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I just don't understand what it could have been. It's a small puncture hole......not like the fork on a fork lift. Does Fed X use smaller devices to lift heavy packages. Honestly, I can't help but think it was a stressed out employee that just doesn't like heavy packages......who knows.

14. zebulon1

zebulon1 Into Phase Linear's lately Subscriber

It's not bad. It can be repaired and know one will ever know.

15. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is?

I'm with Keizer on this. I'd not just let this pass.

To be damage, bent like that thru all that padding means that unit took a damn hard hit at some point in the shipping process. There are heavy parts in that Marantz and I wouldn't be happy that the double-boxing saved the unit from superficial damage, but what about the brain?
    You know, like football players now finding the helmet protects the skull just find, while the brain still shifts around and gets damaged.

16. zebulon1

zebulon1 Into Phase Linear's lately Subscriber

The automated distribution systems can present a problem with the large heavy shipments.
    They can fall off the systems from some high places.

17. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Put it in a case maybe and no one is the wiser. That does suck though and I am not trying to minimize what you are feeling and I am assuming this was not a cheap buy.
    It sure is pretty, congrats.

18. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

For once we have a case here of secure double boxing and the receiver got speared anyway. If this is not a time to file a claim, I don't know what is.

19. don philipe

don philipe AK Subscriber Subscriber

That really looks awful,You should scrap it,get it out of the house.Send it my way and you won't have to look at it,I'll pay shipping.

20. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

That's kind of what I'm worried about. What kind of damage did this hit/fall cause that has yet to surface?