This is rather depressing...

Blah, this is depressing to me to read too. I have a Scott tube amp and preamp I want to send to Craig at Nosalves to rebuild. Stories like these are pushing me to a local tech...
I would still take my chances shipping then a local tech.

The secret is to use foam and not bubble wrap. People use 1" of wrap thinking that's enough - wrong. You need about 3" of foam OVER the bubble wrap. It's a big box and people start getting cheap packing and the cost of a bigger box to ship. But it your Scott that easily replaceable?

Pack the crap out of it and double box. Use a wooden platform and bolt it to it if necessary like Audio classics does with it's McIntosh amps. Those things weight 100lbs and they make it.

I would still take my chances shipping then a local tech.

The secret is to use foam and not bubble wrap. People use 1" of wrap thinking that's enough - wrong. You need about 3" of foam OVER the bubble wrap. It's a big box and people start getting cheap packing and the cost of a bigger box to ship. But it your Scott that easily replaceable?

Pack the crap out of it and double box. Use a wooden platform and bolt it to it if necessary like Audio classics does with it's McIntosh amps. Those things weight 100lbs and they make it.

My 2385 was wrapped maybe seven times in bubble wrap. Then placed in a box sitting on packing peanuts and rigid foam all the way around. Then that box was sealed and put into a larger box and had a combo of rigid foam and packing peanuts. It was packed better than any other vintage piece I have bought and had shipped. In comparison, I bought a really nice modern Onkyo amp.....brand new. It was shipped Fed x from the east coast to the west coast. It arrived in perfect condition. It was in the factory box with just rigid foam.

Well I finally had time to really sit down and try the amp out for some hours. I've only tested the tuner and AUX input. I don't have a turntable or tape deck. Everything seems to function just fine.

I just noticed this bent down coil on your driver board, your 2385 took one hell of a hit by the looks of that coil, Good thing it's built like a tank.
C.jpg
I don't know if that separation in the coil will affect performance. Does anyone know if this is bad?

If I had to choose where the damage would be, that is the corner I would pick, the amp module is easy to remove so access to that part of the chassis is not a problem.
DSC04389.JPG

Enjoy your 2385, she's a beauty!

I noticed the coils too. Both look the same way. Not sure about it affecting performance. Bob would probably know....maybe he will chime in.

I would just concentrate on making the 2385 perfect.....

If a receiver is not shipped in it's original box with shipping materials anything could possibly happen and it's a miracle that the receiver wasn't completely destroyed. There are some real horror stories from other members concerning equipment that was totally destroyed. That's why allot of members relay equipment across the country...and summertime is right around the bend !

My 2385 was wrapped maybe seven times in bubble wrap. Then placed in a box sitting on packing peanuts and rigid foam all the way around. Then that box was sealed and put into a larger box and had a combo of rigid foam and packing peanuts. It was packed better than any other vintage piece I have bought and had shipped. In comparison, I bought a really nice modern Onkyo amp.....brand new. It was shipped Fed x from the east coast to the west coast. It arrived in perfect condition. It was in the factory box with just rigid foam.

Those three bolded statements are packing procedures that lead to major damage when used with heavy equipment. Each and every bounce or bump will pop a bubble, flatten a peanut or worse. Enough bumps in the back of the truck and there is NO packing material left.

The new unit, that Oink was properly packed, Rigid foam that holds the unit securely and without any movement at all and that firmly inside a tight fitting box so there is NO MOVEMENT. If the unit moves it damages packing material. Even old hard foam is not going to handle movement so if it is suspect it shouldn't be a main line of defense against damage.

Save the peanuts and bubble wrap for light weight objects that won't pop the bubbles or collapse the peanuts and units will survive the rigors of shipping better.

I recently purchased what was my holy grail of vintage gear. Something I would actually keep and not turn around and sell down the road. A Marantz 2385 in original mint condition. It was as described when it arrived. I have bought many vintage pieces but when I unboxed this beast it was just like unboxing a brand new piece from 1977. I couldn't find a flaw on it. That is until I found a slightly damaged area on the case in the rear lower corner. Which as it turns out slightly bent the lower steel support frame which created a slight bulge underneath. Everything functions perfectly, but it really upsets me because this would have been as perfect as perfect gets when you buy vintage gear. I could actually easily fix this bend if I had the lower steel piece out. But that would involve some work. I hate that these beautiful pieces of history are shipped all over the country.

Here's some pics of this beauty, and also the damage. I'm really depressed!
Damn!

I noticed the coils too. Both look the same way. Not sure about it affecting performance. Bob would probably know....maybe he will chime in.

I've seen the coils like that before.
Check the solder joints underneath really carefully to make sure they're ok and haven't cracked the foil traces.
I had a 2385 several years ago with one that broke the trace from being hit at some point.
That channel wasn't working right so the previous tech inserted a 100k resistor in series with the other channel's input coming from the preamp so both volume levels would match!

Bob

I also agree with Blue Shadow that multiple layers of 1" bubble wrap will certainly fail with heavy units such as the 2385.
The constant hammering of dropping a 90lb receiver during shipping pops the bubbles and eventually leaves a pretty good size void inside the box with lots of free play for things to get damaged.
You might get away with that on a 35-45lb unit but a 2385 or 2500 get ready to cry.
Yes ,sometimes it'll make the trip ok but do you want to play the odds with a client's baby?

Bob

An update! I was kind of under the impression that I would get to keep the receiver and get reimbursed the Fed X insurance claim money. But, I got a message today from the ebay seller telling me that Fed X is sending him the insurance claim money. And as soon as I ship the receiver back to him he will credit my paypal account. I have a real issue with this. So he has his original money from the sale. Plus Fed X is sending him insurance claim money. And now if I send him back the receiver, he will also have that on top. Even if he refunds my money, hes just going to turn around and sell the receiver again.....plus he will have the insurance claim money. In my opinion he should keep his original money from the sale, credit my paypal account back the insurance claim money and I keep the receiver. This thing is not leaving my possession until I see some money.

I called my credit card company the day this happened. I was trying to cover my tail. He's now telling me they charged back the sale amount and put a hold on it. So apparently he doesn't have the original sales amount. I don't have to pay for shipping back. He set it up for them to just drive up and take it back to him. Then they will come and look and decide if he gets the insurance claim money. He also said they will take it with them if they decide its damaged.
He was the seller/shipper, so the claim is between him and Fedex. Since he's got your money and Fedex's money, maybe you can talk him into giving you a couple hundred bucks for the trouble and you'll leave him a good review. Otherwise, you'll either have to keep the unit, or send it back (at your cost) and get your money back. I know, it sucks...but as far as you know, it wasn't the seller's fault for the damage and Fedex is holding up their end of the bargain for the seller. It's actually a good thing that Fedex ponied up...otherwise you'd have no bargaining power.

Edit: Check with ebay and see if you have any recourse since it will cost you shipping to send it back.

What info? That I was trying to make sure I covered all my bases? Would you do it any different in the same circumstances? One way or another I am the customer and things should end in my favor overall. Yes the seller is trying to do the right thing up until he has all the cards and I have nothing.

Please know that it's not in the seller's best interests to let you keep the unit. By getting the unit back, he'll wind up with a damaged unit (to resell) and $$$ to make up for the damaged gear. And since Fedex is paying for the unit, they'll have a say on what happens next.

If the seller is being honest with me, then he won't have the 2385 to sell again. He said Fed X will be confiscating it if they decide in the sellers favor that they pay for the damage.

If the seller is being honest with me, then he won't have the 2385 to sell again. He said Fed X will be confiscating it if they decide in the sellers favor that they pay for the damage.
If FedEx is making good with both parties and you're OK loosing this stereo then trying your luck out there again - what's the problem?.

If FedEx is making good with both parties and you're OK loosing this stereo then trying your luck out there again - what's the problem?.

Well I'm not sure I want to lose this one. I've bought and sold lots of vintage gear and have never come this close to having something in this nice of condition. I am planning on shipping it off to Bob later this summer for him to go through it.

Well I'm not sure I want to lose this one. I've bought and sold lots of vintage gear and have never come this close to having something in this nice of condition. I am planning on shipping it off to Bob later this summer for him to go through it.
I know others have already mentioned it. But have fedex pay for the repairing. They did that for "ONE" of the McIntosh's they trashed.

I understand your anxiety of having a pristine piece. But with gear this old some concessions need to be made. Maybe you can sneak in a restoration with that estimate???????

Best of luck with what ever you do or what ever happens. We've all been there as well.

After much thought from everyone's reply's in this thread, and conversing with the seller of my 2385, I've decided to keep the receiver. I will call my CC company and take the hold off and I have already contacted Fed X to come and inspect for the damages. I just couldn't send this unit back. Everything works fine on it and it really is in mint condition. I'm hoping I made the right choice, either way......I'm keeping this beauty. Hoping to ship it off to Bob later this summer, but will be packing it according to all the photos he sent me.

Back
Top Bottom