This is rather depressing...

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Keizer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. airtime

airtime Super Member

If FedEx is making good with both parties and you're OK loosing this stereo then trying your luck out there again - what's the problem?.

2. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

I wonder what Fedex will do with the unit? Do they recycle it?

3. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Active Member

4. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

Well I'm not sure I want to lose this one. I've bought and sold lots of vintage gear and have never come this close to having something in this nice of condition. I am planning on shipping it off to Bob later this summer for him to go through it.

5. airtime

airtime Super Member

I know others have already mentioned it. But have fedex pay for the repairing. They did that for "ONE" of the McIntosh's they trashed.

I understand your anxiety of having a pristine piece. But with gear this old some concessions need to be made. Maybe you can sneak in a restoration with that estimate???????

Best of luck with what ever you do or what ever happens. We've all been there as well.

6. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

After much thought from everyone's reply's in this thread, and conversing with the seller of my 2385, I've decided to keep the receiver. I will call my CC company and take the hold off and I have already contacted Fed X to come and inspect for the damages. I just couldn't send this unit back. Everything works fine on it and it really is in mint condition. I'm hoping I made the right choice, either way......I'm keeping this beauty. Hoping to ship it off to Bob later this summer, but will be packing it according to all the photos he sent me.

Denten, Aaron99 and Hipocrates like this.
  7. Denten

Denten Super Member

That is exactly what I would have done, It's not like you can just go out and grab another 2385 anytime you want, at least not in that good of shape.

[​IMG]

Steven Tate, Aaron99 and Keizer like this.
  8. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

Good to hear that!

9. airtime

airtime Super Member

Great choice. Now contact Bob on how to pack these beasts!!!

the main problem is the corners and the weight. there is some sort of foam you pack the corners with. Remember, this box is going to be thrown and dropped deliberately, pack accordingly. Contact Bob - he's a MASTER of packing!!!

And don't try saving money on packing, It's part of the cost of restoration.

10. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

Bob already sent me all the packing photos that I really appreciate.

11. Osibisa

Osibisa New Member

I've got to wonder if FedEx has different grades of service. Last year I purchased an amp that was shipped from a shop in Seattle to New Jersey and the box looked like it was carried by hand!!!

Each corner was square and not a trace of abrasion anywhere.

12. Denten

Denten Super Member

I know Randy had a 2600 shipped to him in a pelican case, I think that is the only way I would ever consider shipping my baby.

[​IMG]

13. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I was thinking maybe a small safe. Wrap the receiver in a plasric bag, put in the safe, then fill with spray foam. Kidding of course. I like the pelican case isea.

14. airtime

airtime Super Member

But with weight it's still the internal wrapping of the edges that's important. The momentum on those edges when the Samsonite gorilla throws it around is intense.

15. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

Update: Got an email from Fed X today. They said "
    We have completed our review of the claim you filed and we will send you a letter with our decision
    in the next five to seven days."

I'll update as soon as I hear from them again.

16. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

I use Star cases to ship big heavy amps. They are designed for hard road use. Right now I have my RTR packed away in it because I have no tapes LOL. At least I know it's safe until I can enjoy it again. Glad your keeping it!!

17. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

Well, yesterday I got a "confidential" letter from Fed X. In a nut shell they are not going to take responsibility for any damage claiming that the receiver was not packaged correctly. Oh well.

18. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I actually repaired the case damage. I ended up stripping it to bare metal with aircraft paint stripper. Then straightened the damaged area using small wooden dowels and a hammer. I then primed the case, applied a textured spray from Duplicolor, then top coated with SEMS Landau black. The repair is totally unnoticeable.

Attached Files:

19. Keizer

Keizer Active Member

I'd really like to have a wood case made now for my 2385. I have a local custom cabinet maker that has made cases for my other gear. The pics are what he did for my Pioneer amp and tuner. The cases were made from solid Sapele mahogany. What's different with the 2385 is that it requires so much ventilation area that there won't be all that much wood showing. I need to come up with a neat design.

Attached Files:

20. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Subscriber

I just sent this 2385 back to it's owner in North Dakota yesterday:
    [​IMG]

In this Pelican case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it will arrive safe and sound.

Bob

catrafter and Hipocrates like this.