This post is either stupid or brilliant

mr clean

Tell me if this has ever been done.Ive been listening to a lot of youtube vids on horn loudspeakers and they sound like horn speakers even when not listening on horn speakers. Have recordings ever been made using horn speakers as the source to give people the sound of horns on other types of speakers. Im on mids so if this sounds stupid just tell me to go to bed. If it hasn't been done how bad of an idea is it. Like the title says its one or the other. After reading the post I'm almost scared to post this but what the heck. Peace!

not stupid not brilliant.
Just ....why?
I doubt its been done tho.
but who am i to say?
I aint gota klu.

Sure, why not?

I find that tone neutral speakers can mimic the colorations and "hollowness" in the midrange you find with most horns when captured that way.

Tell me if this has ever been done.Ive been listening to a lot of youtube vids on horn loudspeakers and they sound like horn speakers even when not listening on horn speakers. Have recordings ever been made using horn speakers as the source to give people the sound of horns on other types of speakers. Im on mids so if this sounds stupid just tell me to go to bed. If it hasn't been done how bad of an idea is it. Like the title says its one or the other. After reading the post I'm almost scared to post this but what the heck. Peace!

I remember reading years ago that Consumer Reports did something similar when trying to determine the most "accurate" speaker system. In short, they had a very cheap/test speaker system full of colorization and distortion. They played a track through this speaker system and recorded.

This recorded track was then played though all of the speaker systems in the survey and compared against the original track played through the cheap/test speakers. Listeners when then asked to select and grade how faithfully the surveyed speakers sounded like the original cheap/test speakers. The idea was the speaker system that sounded most like the cheap/test speakers was the system that most accurately reproduced sound.

I believe rather "bland" low priced AR's scored best in this test. The test was assailed, however, because it failed to take into account frequency reproduction for which the cheap/test system was totally incapable. (For example, the very low frequencies that only AR-3a's (AR's top of the line) could reproduce at that time.)

Regards,
Jerry

Last edited:
Phil Spector used AR-LST loudspeakers in sewer pipe as his natural sounding echo chambers. I heard he used high end condenser mics at the other end of the pipes. Part of that "Wall of Sound" sound.

not stupid not brilliant.
Just ....why?
I doubt its been done tho.
but who am i to say?
I aint gota klu.

I would think their are some that may like the sound at times. People may crave the sound like a steak lover eating a hot dog now and then. People wanting the sound sometimes but not enough to buy horn speakers. Just a thought.

The question sounds confusing,I like horn speakers, just about all of my speakers are horns.
I have some vintage fisher and Bozaks that are not, people seem to be in one camp or the other for the most part.
I think horn lovers are in the minority for the most part.
I have not found anything on you tube that sounds like my horn speakers do in person.

Wait, I'm supposed to get an accurate representation of how your speakers sound in your room with your electronics and through your computer through my computer and my electronics and my speakers in my room? Interesting premise, but not one that I agree with, too many variables. That's not to say that I won't like the sound, but it won't be anything like what you hear.

Unless you are recording in a controlled environment having a recorder that captures bass below 70 hz and above 8,ooo Hz or so is not advisable. And if the recorder was designed to basically capture the human voice first and music second the response may be contoured to emphasize the voice frequencies. Its the frequencies above 70 and below 10, 000 z that older horn speakers emphasize. It takes a large horn speaker or one designed for corner use to reach down to the low 30's. And in most instances in order to get the best performance in the highs you need a 3 way system. There are exceptions of course. That said most monitor speakers before the mid 70's incorporated horns, as Coaxial speakers, 2 or 3 way horn systems and some times as combinations with cone for low mids and low bass mounted in large infinite baffles as 4 way systems. .

Wait, I'm supposed to get an accurate representation of how your speakers sound in your room with your electronics and through your computer through my computer and my electronics and my speakers in my room? Interesting premise, but not one that I agree with, too many variables. That's not to say that I won't like the sound, but it won't be anything like what you hear.

I didn't say anything about accurate sound. I just said when I listen to horns on youtube it sounds like horns on non horn speakers. Horns add color I'm told but I love the sound. I love alittle bright and lively also. Im not near as serious about having reproduction of sound that is true to the original I just want something thats pleasing to the ear and has some life to it. Peace!

It's impossible to make recorded sound sound 'live' simply because it isn't. I've been fooled once or twice, but generally, a recording 'sounds' like a recording. Pleasing to the ear, with some life in it, is truly the most any of us can hope for, in my opinion!

Well, the first recordings were done without any amplifiers - purely acoustic - and the only way to get enough sound out of the air and into that cutting needle to make the master disc was to use a huge horn to collect it. So any record or cylinder recorded before about 1920 will have been recorded using a horn. There you go.

You can not evaluate anything by a video over the internet.

Again I just said when I listen to videos on youtube oh never mind. Read above if you want to know what I said. :) I would not listen to you tube if it was something I wanted to try. It would be recorded off horn speakers. Hearing it on you tube just got me thinking. Peace! Oh and most likely will never do it. As I said above I was sleep deprived and little punchy.

Last edited:
Brilliant- If the playback system (and the recording chain) is capable of sufficient fidelity to reproduce the characteristics of THAT SPEAKER.
Stupid- If the above playback system CANNOT reproduce (due to LACK of fidelity) the characteristics of THAT SPEAKER.

I have read that HORN speakers (due to many variables in design that are are compromises) are a hard thing to "get right", and can have good principles mis-applied, or just plain bad design applied, resulting in an undesirable "too much" of a "horn sound".
My information comes from- "LOUDSPEAKERS for music recording and reproduction" , Philip Newell and Keith Holland (Focal Press)
This is just a general statement, NO direct quotes are used here, just from my own words for emphasis.

Mark T. :music:

Again I just said when I listen to videos on youtube oh never mind. Read above if you want to know what I said. :) I would not listen to you tube if it was something I wanted to try. It would be recorded off horn speakers. Hearing it on you tube just got me thinking. Peace! Oh and most likely will never do it. As I said above I was sleep deprived and little punchy.

Chill my friend.
chillpill.gif

Intended to be a general statement; not a direct response to any particular post.

Back
Top Bottom