This Wire For Interconnects?

sol7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've got spools of wire coming out my 7th planet from the sun...

So, I thought I'd make a pair of interconnects with this wire. Twisted 3 wire 22awg (maybe 24awg). Not sure if it's tinned or silver plated. I want to say it's MIL spec wire, but the label side of the spool is rusted and no longer readable. I figure I'll use one wire for the "signal" and the other two for "ground/shield".

Any compelling reasons why I shouldn't?

alphawire-01.JPG

alphawire-02.JPG

I'm not sure if a twisted wire is enough shielding for an interconnect. I'd prefer a shielded wire, but having all those wire already, I'd give it a try.

I use unshielded twisted pairs for the short run from CD player to preamp. Works fine because the CD player has fairly low output impedance and there aren't any nearby interference sources. The capacitance is lower than shielded. It was mostly an experiment, but I saw no reason to stop using them.

We used some silver clad copper MILSPEC wire for our internal amp wires. I am planning on using it also for the short runs from the amps to the drivers too.
I am curious as to how it works out for interconnects too.

I whipped up a pair of interconnects. 2 ft lengths. Capacitance measures 60 and 67 PF. I'm not getting a hum and nothing sounds bad. Might make another pair. Then I'll try some for speaker wire.....

I've got spools of wire coming out my 7th planet from the sun...

So, I thought I'd make a pair of interconnects with this wire. Twisted 3 wire 22awg (maybe 24awg). Not sure if it's tinned or silver plated. I want to say it's MIL spec wire, but the label side of the spool is rusted and no longer readable. I figure I'll use one wire for the "signal" and the other two for "ground/shield".

Any compelling reasons why I shouldn't?

alphawire-01.JPG

alphawire-02.JPG
GREAT For LONG WIRE ANTENNA's !!
All Shortwave, also AM Radio.

Get several of these and mount up at a minimum of 10 ft off the ground on conduit pipe jammed in the ground about a foot or on poles..and run 140 ft ideally across the yard for reception receive antenna... Run RG6-U from the receiver out to the long wire and solder the center conductor only to the Long wire & keep the sheilding jacket inside the RG6 away from the center conductor..use Shrink Tube to seal the connection..get the appropriate connector for the connection to the radio connect to the RG6 inside the home
Try to do minimum of 90 foot run.. 60 foot would be the bare minimum.
240 feet would be about the maximum length .. you will be able to listen to AM radio stations several states away.. I listen to AM radio from Richmond Virginia am 1140 WRVA Here in the Thumb of michigan at night like it is a Local Station..
And Shortwave 20 Meter, 40 Meter, 75 & 80 & 160 Meter all come in beautiful.

https://goo.gl/images/TzDeKc

There are many other different types of wire insulators but you can attach to your roof antenna towers in trees on poles etc tractor supply has a good selection for farming electric fence etc. . It can be used for antennas

I've used twisted pairs from CAT5 cable as short interconnects. It works fine. Don't use them on high impedance circuits, its prone to picking up hum.

Just wondering: Is there any 'formula' for determining the number of times the 'shield' wires should be wrapped around the 'center conductor' for a given length (foot, meter...)?

I have no idea if there is a formula. Although, in this hobby, I'm sure there has to be....

GREAT For LONG WIRE ANTENNA's !!
All Shortwave, also AM Radio.

Get several of these and mount up at a minimum of 10 ft off the ground on conduit pipe jammed in the ground about a foot or on poles..and run 140 ft ideally across the yard for reception receive antenna... Run RG6-U from the receiver out to the long wire and solder the center conductor only to the Long wire & keep the sheilding jacket inside the RG6 away from the center conductor..use Shrink Tube to seal the connection..get the appropriate connector for the connection to the radio connect to the RG6 inside the home
Try to do minimum of 90 foot run.. 60 foot would be the bare minimum.
240 feet would be about the maximum length .. you will be able to listen to AM radio stations several states away.. I listen to AM radio from Richmond Virginia am 1140 WRVA Here in the Thumb of michigan at night like it is a Local Station..
And Shortwave 20 Meter, 40 Meter, 75 & 80 & 160 Meter all come in beautiful.

https://goo.gl/images/TzDeKc

There are many other different types of wire insulators but you can attach to your roof antenna towers in trees on poles etc tractor supply has a good selection for farming electric fence etc. . It can be used for antennas

My neighbors would really think I'm bonkers if they see me stringing wire all over my yard. Not that they already don't think I'm not quite "right".....o_O

My neighbors would really think I'm bonkers if they see me stringing wire all over my yard. Not that they already don't think I'm not quite "right".....o_O
Don't worry about neighbors unless your windows are open and you're too close them... Lol
You can't see the wire unless you know what to look for unlike an Antenna tower with beams

Just wondering: Is there any 'formula' for determining the number of times the 'shield' wires should be wrapped around the 'center conductor' for a given length (foot, meter...)?
Not sure that there is, but in network cable the different pairs have different twist rates so as to not interfere with each other. I suppose if you wanted to minimize the chance of signal bleed you could do the same. Being lazy and having some scrap CAT5 around, I didn't have to bother twisting it or varying the rate. Its also handily color coded for me already. It is a bit on the thin side unfortunately and the insulation melts easily when you try to solder it.

Not sure that there is, but in network cable the different pairs have different twist rates so as to not interfere with each other. I suppose if you wanted to minimize the chance of signal bleed you could do the same. Being lazy and having some scrap CAT5 around, I didn't have to bother twisting it or varying the rate. Its also handily color coded for me already. It is a bit on the thin side unfortunately and the insulation melts easily when you try to solder it.

I made some speaker cable out of some IBM data (serial ?) cable I had laying around. I later read somewhere that it was a bad idea due to the twisting or shielding or both or something... I don't remember. I didn't think they sounded bad. I should dig them out.

There is a whole lot of voodoo surrounding wire. I'm generally of the opinion that if speaker wire is long enough to reach and of sufficient gauge for the power it'll work. The rest of it just gets too subjective for me. I can say with absolute certainty that if the wire is not long enough, it seriously screws up the soundstage.

Back
Top Bottom