Thorens E53P turntable with Fairchild arm

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Sam Cogley, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

Leland47 likes this.
  2. dbxdx5

dbxdx5 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Cool. Thanks for sharing this!

3. Joe Roberts

Joe Roberts Agent Provocateur Subscriber

That was a "transcription table," advertised as such, before the 124. I have one but it seems to be frozen due to dried out grease. It is a direct gear drive unit, no idler wheel.

A Dutch Thorens collector on Lenco Heaven is currently restoring one and I am awaiting his listening reports before I get all crazy fixing this one. The top plate is a relatively thin flat sheet of aluminum and the platter is kinda light weight, but I don't want to discount it beforehand because it is a Thorens product and probably not junk. I have been surprised before, more than once.

There is also a changer model with the same basic mechanics.

4. cyclotronic

cyclotronic Active Member

I have a E53PA, which is similar to the one pictured but the speed control in particular is different. As noted, these pre-date the 124 (early-mid 50s?) and are direct drive. I had mine restored by Jim Campbell who is known for his 124 restorations, and he gave me a nice price on it as a repeat customer (he previously did my 124) and he liked the challenge of working on a model he'd never seen before. The major issue with these is motor noise, and I suspect it's why it was such a short lived model. Mine is used as a dedicated 78s turntable, and I was never aiming for audiophile perfection, but even with Jim rebuilding the motor, it is still quite noisy.

5. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I have a CD43 changer in the basement with a similar direct drive motor. I'd never seen this transcription model.

6. cyclotronic

cyclotronic Active Member

That went higher than I expected. But what does the Fairchild arm go for by itself? Maybe that was most of the value?