Thorens owners group

Hi! Somebody is selling a Thorens td 115 S. I cannot find anything about the S version. Does anyone know what this means?

I've got the same plinth. I've been happy with it. Looking forward to seeing how you finish yours
Hey
I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do to it. I'm a long way away from getting things all together.
I've got the big parts rounded up. Turntable, tonearm,arm board, cart, stylist, and now plinth.
The 124 I bought needs motor taken care of as well as a general checkup . Apparently the old boy from Ebay has a different definition of plays as it should then I do.
Any who right now I've got too many irons in the fire. ( preamp upgrade, Amps maybe being built).
What did you do with yours? (Pictures?) I was kinda thinking black paint but it looks like it would need some in depth body work to make it right. But like I said it's down the road a bit. Eric

Hey
I just did a little research. It looks like you painted your plinth as well. Did you use any filler on the front/sides to get a smooth look?Eric

Hey
I just did a little research. It looks like you painted your plinth as well. Did you use any filler on the front/sides to get a smooth look?Eric
I used wood fill and then sanded it. At first I used Tung Oil and it looked cool - but I am young and I haven't developed strong paint skills yet. In the end I ended up spraying it flat black so that the eye is drawn to the table itself, but more and more I'm considering stripping it and trying again. We will see.

My advice would be: Be more patient than me... use more wood fill and sand it / repeat

I’ve seen them filled, dyed black and then sanded back before spraying multiple coats of tinted gloss polyurethane or lacquer. Black or dark burgundy tint looks very good.

Hey
Well I just ordered some parts from Italy. ( motor rebuild, idle replacement, Japanese mushrooms, and bearing end cap/ thrust plate) . They should ship monday.
I've been pouring over plinth feet choices. Anybody got a suggestions? Eric

I just picked up a TD-125 with a Lab-80 wood tonearm on it. It appears the original owner upgraded from the Garrard, as it also came with a Lab-80 cover. The original Pickering MM cartridge seems to be with it, as well. The motor runs smoothly and the platter bearing seems in good order. I intend to replace the belt and I'm trying to decide whether to go with a different tonearm. I have a Denon DL-110 cartridge and I'm considering picking up a Shibata SL for it. Any thoughts on this combination of TT/tonearm? I did some searching and haven't found much information about the Lab80 tonearm decoupled from the deck it originally came with.

I've owned a hand full of Thorens tables over the years. Here is my current favorite. Located this TD320 in near NOS condition. It had been placed in a wood cabinet and apparently was almost never used. Cleaned, lubed, new belt, and adjusted suspension. Runs great. Currently using a Dynavector 10x4 HOMC.

Attachments

• B9790030-70FA-46CA-9A62-1D529158E734.jpeg
    B9790030-70FA-46CA-9A62-1D529158E734.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 5B652D1F-40F3-4E3B-AB22-87F7DACAA590.jpeg
    5B652D1F-40F3-4E3B-AB22-87F7DACAA590.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hey
My parts from Italy came today. 10:00 am .ordered Sunday night delivered to Thursday morning. Wow! Fast. Get ready for a bunch of dumb questions. :) Eric

Question buy a TD 145 or 166 mk2? Bonus question....why? I like both but don't like the headshell on the 166 mk2. Trying to make up my mind. Mark

I think I see the ads you're looking at. Both overpriced IMO. We're not supposed to talk money outside of Dollars & Sense but there's a reason those ads have been up for a while.

New styli no longer being made for either cartridge so there's not much value in them.

Don't think I've posted in this thread yet. I use a TD-165 that was restored by Vinyl Nirvana. Pretty much stock, no mods. Using a Denon DL-110 with a Soundsmith Level 2 line contact stylus. Maybe someday I'll modify it but it sounds fantastic as-is.

I don't even know what this means , lol ! It just sounds great to my ears. There was an Empire 4000 xl iii on it when I got it and the om20 is a nice improvement in sound.

Back
Top Bottom