Thorens owners group

Hi Paul. It's a 160 Super with an okay tonearm. Limited edition and collectable, but not as good as a TD1225.
I think the 125 was supplied without an arm so you could choose what to install. You could also upgrade the 147, but that might hurt collector value.
Search for 'Thorens dept' for lots of good info, pics etc.

Very nice. Any idea what you will be asking?

Thank you. Going to make these next few for myself first so I can perfect some different styles. Minus the dado channel for the aluminum trim, this one matches the stock profiles and dimensions of the models with the dust cover that hinges at the back and rests on the perimeter of the plinth. Now I know that the jig I made for this configuration is accurate.

My next builds will be a bit more custom regarding dimensions and side profiles while maintaining a classic vibe - nothing over-the-top, just a little something different. When they are done and I am satisfied with the look and construction plus have the jigs set and ready, I will definitely consider selling them...

Grady Cain "Going to make these next few for myself first so I can perfect some different styles. My next builds will be a bit more custom regarding dimensions and side profiles.... When they are done and I am satisfied with the look...."

Hi. I played a lot with plinth design from an aesthetic/appearance POV. Had a lot of internal debate about traditional vs more modern/contemporary look. Certainly I did not stick with the TD 150 look which is simplistic to the point of looking downright impoverished IMO. I ended up here...after much trial and error, including a few "well, that looks like a pile of horse s_ _ _ to point that I went hunting for the darn pony!".

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/custom-thorens-td-150.861717/

I posted my TD 150 effort in the TT forum only because I did not think of doing so in the Thorens owners sub-forum.

Your woodworking skills are excellent and far superior to mine which are very limited, and your resulting plinth is gorgeous! Nice job.

Your woodworking skills are excellent and far superior to mine which are very limited, and your resulting plinth is gorgeous! Nice job.

Hey Tucker99 - first, thank you very much for the compliment. Second, don't knock your skills. That plinth you made looks really nice to me. The fact that you veneered the plywood and did the 15 degree return on the base shows that you definitely have a good working knowledge of materials and woodworking basics. I really like the look and had something similar in mind for one of my next builds. Those aesthetics are pleasing to my eyes for sure and I really dig the finish you applied - nice job man.

I have the luxury of having access to a 10,000 sq. ft. shop with all the tools you could ever want at my finger tips. Makes life easier when it comes to creating and fabricating. It's the rest of the stuff that baffles me, ie: the electronics portion of the restoration. Fortunately, one of my audio club members is the electrical engineering, OCD perfectionist, mad-scientist genius that handles that portion. His restoration of my HH Scott LK72 amp is beyond perfection. I do what I do and he does what he does and it all works.

Also for any vintage AR speaker owners out there, I am creating a program for my CNC machine to precision cut new speaker grill baffles out of the appropriate 1/4" masonite with the correct woofer hole and properly radiused opening for the mid and tweet. Anyone who has tried to remove original ones knows the pain of having to destroy them due to the strength of the glue that was used back in the day. Right now I will make them for the 2AX model but they may fit others. AR guys out there will know what other models they may fit.

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the good work yourself...

Mark (Grady Cain)

Updated BOM for TD-125 Mk-II speed control PCB (8 pin LM709 compatible op-amps) mod

I've uploaded the spread sheet to 4 shared. Drop me a P.M. with an email if, for some reason, you cannot download it using the blue 'download' button at the bottom left of the page or just
lemme know about a better file sharing service.

The BOM lists none obligatory TOTL components, naturally more expensive. If you feel 16 cents are too much for a resistor - you can easily find one within specs that's cheaper,
and the same goes for every other listed component.

parts in red go out - 8 pin op-amps in green:

Ka3Vgwy.jpg

BOM pricing relies on Mouser recent listings:

IZ0hBkV.jpg

Last edited:
67747DAE-1A82-43DC-A853-F6A85C4CA5F7.jpeg
I bought this a few months ago, sent it to Jim Campbell for a rebuild. Funny, this one is sn 9890 while my other one is sn 1362, both early editions. The arm will be sent to SME Tonearms in Canada for refurbishment/rewire. Guess I’ll build a heavy plinth for it.

View attachment 1552243
I bought this a few months ago, sent it to Jim Campbell for a rebuild. Funny, this one is sn 9890 while my other one is sn 1362, both early editions. The arm will be sent to SME Tonearms in Canada for refurbishment/rewire. Guess I’ll build a heavy plinth for it.
Beautiful! One day maybe I’ll join the idler crowd

View attachment 1552243

Nice one! It is still a 4 digit sn which does indeed make it early in the first version. The other one, sn 1362 is actually #362 as the production serial numbers started at 1000. I remember my first TD124 was sn 2729 (ergo the 1,729th unit produced).
I'm still enjoying sn 13943. (the one I kept)
-Steve

The TD 145 Mk.II is mostly done! Just have to finish buffing the badly scuffed original dust cover. Fitted the restored mechanicals into the custom black walnut plinth I built. Put the platter in a lathe and 'unpolished' it by turning it against a scotchbrite pad to give it a brushed finish to match the controls and the strips I added to the plinth. Gives it a cohesive look now. Installed the very impressive Shelter 201 cartridge and have paired it with my incredible 1960 HH Scott LK72 amp and 1963 Wharfedale W70 Radio People speakers. So far, I love what I hear (and see!) Now on to the next project...
20190719_170341.jpg 20190719_170425.jpg 20190719_170500_LI.jpg 20190719_170516.jpg

I had just seen a TD-105 at a local pawn and the first thing I thought too was "cheap-made". It was also missing the power supply, top platter & arm counterweight. But I could not resist. Went back and got it. I remembered I had an outer platter & mat from a TD-115. Fit perfect. Has a Shure M104E P-mount, that alone was worth the $10. now I need a power supply & counterweight. Anyone know where I might find these or a substitute? No luck with the bay or organdonor parts

Does anyone have plinth designs/measurements they’d be willing to share for a TD 147 (or TD 160 Super)?

I’ll be at my friends woodworking studio all of next week while on vacation and he’s offered to lend a hand at making a nice replacement for my scratched 147.

I have a modern TD-203 turntable w/ belt drive, electronic speed change, and their TP-82 uni-pivot tonearm. I really love this little rascal. Very detailed w/ Ortofon 2m Blue and Schiit Mani phono preamp. When I retire at the end of this year I'm thinking of building a new base of a different material than the stock mdf. Thinking of maple. Any suggestions?
rack right.jpeg
turntable front.jpeg

I have a modern TD-203 turntable w/ belt drive, electronic speed change, and their TP-82 uni-pivot tonearm. I really love this little rascal. Very detailed w/ Ortofon 2m Blue and Schiit Mani phono preamp. When I retire at the end of this year I'm thinking of building a new base of a different material than the stock mdf. Thinking of maple. Any suggestions?
View attachment 1572365
View attachment 1572362

The TD-203 looks like a nice bargain, for a new turntable. Glad to hear your liking the sound! :thumbsup:

Does the uni-pivot arm wobble much?

View attachment 1572365
View attachment 1572362
Maple, being a tone wood, will resonate which is generally not desirable in a plinth. Might want to use veneer over an MDF core.

The TD-203 looks like a nice bargain, for a new turntable. Glad to hear your liking the sound! :thumbsup:

Does the uni-pivot arm wobble much?

Not at all, once set on the record it's rock solid. This is my 1st uni-pivot, but the arm design is a cone nestled into multiple ball bearing. If some uni-pivot arms wobble this is probably the reason it doesn't.

Maple, being a tone wood, will resonate which is generally not desirable in a plinth. Might want to use veneer over an MDF core.

Thanks, this is worth considering. I'll look at other options like thicker mdf than Thorens uses or just leave it alone. I do like creative projects and a new base seems like a fun one for me.

An AK friend mentioned this thread. So my first post. My accolades to all the excellent crafters who post here. My 3 Thorens machines are more utilitarian. Right now, all 3 have homemade dustcovers. The TD 124 was an estate warehouse acquisition. I did some updating myself with a homemade base. Thorens TD160.JPG Thorens TD124 Unrestored.JPG Thorens TD124.JPG Thorens TD125 temp dustcover.JPG I've had the TD160 the longest; about 20 years. The recent project is the TD125. This has been pieced together with different providers for the machine, arm board, arm and hinges. I had the Micro Acoustics 2002e cart and the homemade DC from another project.

Back
Top Bottom