Thorens TD-121 or 124, commanding $2000-$4000 on Ebay, why?

jamiecantar

Never heard one personally. Are these tables just nostalgic in demand or sonically really worth these prices. Can $2000-$4000 be better spent on another table? On sonic performance I mean...

I am currently using an Ariston Audio RDlls with ADC tone arm and Nagaoka MP-11 gold cart... which i bought for $400

People like them. Supply and demand at work.

Whether they outperform a similarly priced newer unit, you can get a lot of turntable for 4 grand used, is up to those that spend the money.

Since there are a number of places that can make your TD right and different looking, many want to go that way. something about a table that is idler driven and these are some of the best.

No stock, unrestored TD-124 should command $4k (unless the arm is something outrageously good), but I can see a hot-rodded, fully restored example with a great arm, and housed in an elegant, handcrafted plinth being worth that kind of dough.

The market value for something like this is not just driven by performance; a TD-124 is also a historically significant piece of 'audio art,' a treasured classic antique, not unlike a '50s Porsche or something like that.

I don't know, their asking those prices, however the owners selling it won't drop 50% off unless he's hard up for the money...they may drop $500...

That's what I thought...it's similar to a 50's corvette. Heavy as hell and had a under performing small engine, however nostalgically appealing and socially in-demand because of their rarity...

Just get one brand new from the factory

ohh right...

Also its "Swiss Precision"
like a "Rolodex Oysterizer Perpetuator El Presidente' Sub-Mergible" watch

Last edited:
I don't know, their asking those prices, however the owners selling it won't drop 50% off unless he's hard up for the money...they may drop $500...

That's what I thought...it's similar to a 50's corvette. Heavy as hell and had a under performing small engine, however nostalgically appealing and socially in-demand because of their rarity...
Or, a '63 split window with the 365bhp FI 327 .........I guess for less money one could go to a Chevy dealer today and buy the '17 model, which will out accelerate it, out brake it, out corner it, have a much better sound system, and big fat radial tires. But if I had the money, guess which pretty, bright red one would be in my drive......along with half the neighborhood wanting to touch it. ;)

That's what I thought...it's similar to a 50's corvette. Heavy as hell and had a under performing small engine, however nostalgically appealing and socially in-demand because of their rarity...[/QUOTE]

Afraid you don't have this right. A restored 124 in a good quality plinth is a very competitive table even in today's market place. Most hobbyists can do the basic work to the restoration. So if you start with a good example for $1200 or so, and do the work, you can have a restored table and plinth around the $2K mark. Then the arm and cartridge becomes a different situation, and you can spend several kilobucks in this area if you want, as this table will support upper tier arms and cartridges. The 124 I owned was on par with my Galibier Serac which sells for slightly under $5K (originally $3.3K and motor upgrade was 1.2K) without arm. The 124 is a competitive table in todays market. Not for everyone, but still a fine piece of analog gear.

Regards
Mister Pig

I purchased a nicely restored TD-124 and custom made plinth from a respected TT guy off US Audio Mart last year for $2K shipped

Plenty of pricey TD-124s on ebay right now and but a single pricey Garrard 401.

I purchased a nicely restored TD-124 and custom made plinth from a respected TT guy off US Audio Mart last year for $2K shipped

Plenty of pricey TD-124s on ebay right now and but a single pricey Garrard 401.

you must be looking for a 66 Cobra instead of a 63 Vette...........I understand, I won't hold that against you, or talk behind your back.....

you must be looking for a 66 Cobra instead of a 63 Vette...........I understand, I won't hold that against you, or talk behind your back.....

A cousin had a red 65 Vette, just like the one in attached photo, back in the day and had to turn it back in to the dealer for a Corvair when he figured out he couldn't afford it. His brother still enjoys telling that story and the hickey his brother took.

Attachments

• 65green1.jpg
    65green1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 48
Maybe some AK members have or have not figured out that some vintage tables like the Thorens TD-121/124 are highly collectable/desirable, same goes for speakers and amps/preamps selling for multiples of when they were new. As noted just look at vintage cars, watches, jewelry etc.

Maybe some AK members have or have not figured out that some vintage tables like the Thorens TD-121/124 are highly collectable/desirable, same goes for speakers and amps/preamps selling for multiples of when they were new. As noted just look at vintage cars, watches, jewelry etc.
And of course records..............

A nice restored sample is a thing of beauty - to me at least. I got mine into reasonably good shape and it sounded sublime. Sometimes sad I let it go, but my ears just don't seem to hear the subtle differences as much anymore

Wow, sounds really good beatcomber ty :)

Ok, so through some research this afternoon, I am learning that the Thorens 124 began in 1957. It uses a idler-drive rubbing against the inside rim of the platter with a clever use of a belt to lower the resonances...The rivals are the Gerrard 301/401. There were other brands such as Weathers, Rek-O-Kut, Lenco, Connoisseur, Collaro. From the same era. Set up properly, with attention paid to isolation and fitted with a robust Ortofon 12 inch arm, and a SPU headshell and cart, the TD124 is capable of producing rich, coherent sounds with sublime stability. The sound is fast, never sluggish, and it's a perfect source for vintage valve systems that seem a bit soft compared to more modern gear. So in summary, they are rare like an old Corvette. Are there out performers in the same $2000-$4000 price bracket? Probably yes. The short of it, the Thorens 124 has a cult following, a fan club and a certain "je ne sais quoi". Its like comparing the 50's corvette I mentioned earlier, sure a new 2017 Lincoln MKS is a lot of car for the same money and probably better in so many ways, however it doesn't have that certain "je ne sais quoi" that the old corvette can command.

Last edited:
I have found that a price for something is worth the price IF a buyer is willing to pay the price. Another ridiculous price is for the Garrard 301/401 and again, if buyers are willing to pay, more power to the seller. If I had the money to buy one, the money will be well spent somewhere else in the system. The best example of a vintage classic turntable for me... Acoustic Research XA/XB and other AR models. With the right arm/cartridge combo, you will be hard pressed to find anything better for $1,000 and higher. It goes without saying that YMMV.

Everyone has their own opinion, and this is my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom