Thorens TD 124 $2600

Tough one. I put my td-124 together for under 2k. 12" Jelco, two headshells, - better carts than the V-15, completely rebuilt motor, Hanze springs, Ortofon High-lift, 2 J.Campbell walnut armboards and a customized plinth that I am still working on.

The unknowns (professionally rebuilt) make 2600 hard to swallow. Talk to him, get more info, and take your time with your interest. It will be for sale for a while at that price.

Sam... 2600 is too high for the table with SME tonearm. I got one recently with RMG-212 tonearm and 124 Mark II for grand less than this.

Tough one. I put my td-124 together for under 2k. 12" Jelco, two headshells, - better carts than the V-15, completely rebuilt motor, Hanze springs, Ortofon High-lift, 2 J.Campbell walnut armboards and a customized plinth that I am still working on.

The unknowns (professionally rebuilt) make 2600 hard to swallow. Talk to him, get more info, and take your time with your interest. It will be for sale for a while at that price.

Yes but how much would you sell yours for? Probably a lot more then what this guy is asking. There's probably a profit motive going on here.

What kinds of info am I looking for? I agree on the cart, but I have some good carts around here that I would probably replace it with, including a minty Grace F9E, so maybe I can ask him to leave it for a drop in price, but what else would be crucial to know?

Sam... 2600 is too high for the table with SME tonearm. I got one recently with RMG-212 tonearm and 124 Mark II for grand less than this.

Well I don't see these come up hardly at all locally, certainly not for less then $2K, unless alot of work needs to be done on it. I'm basically looking for plug 'n' play. Did you get it locally, and did you have to do any work on it?

I got it locally from SF 10 days back.. He listed his turntable without tonearm and plinth for 750. I made an offer for both and he accepted. It does not need any work.

Having to go and buy a plinth and tonearm separately is not what I would be looking for. Like I said, I'm looking for a table ready to go.

I got it locally from SF 10 days back.. He listed his turntable without tonearm and plinth for 750. I made an offer for both and he accepted. It does not need any work.

Wow that's a good deal. Was it on CL? I check a lot and didn't see it if it was. Does it need more work?

No work needed except idler wheel, which needs a change. I met the guy who listed the thorens table when I went to pick up a different tube amp. I told him that he listed it too high and gave him ball park price we see in AK. Hopefully when you negotiate you can quote him our standard AK price :) He did mention that he did some work on the table in a shop. He has Technics SP-10 and Empire 698 troubadour which he is not selling.

Yes but how much would you sell yours for? Probably a lot more then what this guy is asking. There's probably a profit motive going on here.

What kinds of info am I looking for? I agree on the cart, but I have some good carts around here that I would probably replace it with, including a minty Grace F9E, so maybe I can ask him to leave it for a drop in price, but what else would be crucial to know?

I would ask about the motor, Rebuilt? The motor bearings, sintered or not. (if you don't know what this is, then research on AK) . Or did he just squirt some oil into it. Are the motor mounts tha cheap clear hard plastic ones? Ask about the thrust plate, or turn it upside down to see if the thrust plate was replaced. Pull the platter out and check out the spindle bearing, does it move freely, does it look like a botch-job replacement. If he is keeping the Empire 698 and selling the Thorens, why? Look at the leveling screws, are the springs and thumb-wheels all true?
Is the linkage underneath original, or did someone bend up a hanger and try to "make it work" (seen this) ? Does the platter break work? Does the over-platter sit evenly on the sub-platter? You need to come at this with as much knowledge as you can. $2600 is tall money for a 124 that was bought, oiled and put into a new plinth. The SME tone arm might need a lot of work also. Bring a stethoscope, an listen at chassis, at arm board and at plinth.

Sam, I have seen VPI Classics and Prime for $2500. I'm all about the classics, but that seems like it is on the high end.

I agree that it's a lot of money, and that's why I asked. It's hard to gauge what these tables are going for in various condition. Like I said I hardly ever see them for sale locally in any condition. If I had seen the table noted above for $1600 you bet I would've looked seriously at it. Anyway, I appreciate the info, and will think about what I want to offer.

Then for that kind of $$'s...What about the Linn Sondek LP12....

I have 2 tables listed in my sig that I really enjoy and no need for any other. That said, when a classic like the 124 comes along locally, I'm interested.

A bit of a drive, but there is one listed on the Inland Empire CL (SoCal), sans arm, for $1500.
It was initially listed for $1200, two or three weeks ago, then, after a few days, the seller inexplicably raised the price.

You might want to talk to the seller to make sure it is plug and play (with the exception of the arm and cart),
and see what happens if you offer him (or her) their original asking price.

A bit of a drive, but there is one listed on the Inland Empire CL (SoCal), sans arm, for $1500.
It was initially listed for $1200, two or three weeks ago, then, after a few days, the seller inexplicably raised the price.

You might want to talk to the seller to make sure it is plug and play (with the exception of the arm and cart),
and see what happens if you offer him (or her) their original asking price.

Thanks, but way too far for any interest to me. I would never drive more then 25 miles for another turntable.

In that case, if you are patient, I think you could save quite a bit of money.

Then again, by the time a better deal shows up for sale, you may have already forgotten about the money.

Back
Top Bottom