Thorens TD-124 by the numbers, what does the S/N tell me ?

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
TD-124 , serial #40197. What does this serial number tell me about production date, construction details, etc.??

Anyone ? Is there a list that documents these through the various changes and relates it to serial number?

attachment.php

Attachments

• td124  40197.JPG
    td124 40197.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 351
There is Mk 1 and Mk II. Mk II have more modern styling, a better stock tonearm, and other upgrades. And were later production. Do remember that some of these turntables had some parts upgraded when they were worn out. The Papst replacement motor was refitted to quite a few TD-124 and 224 changer variants. Your machine is a later model judging by the serial number. And they made Thorens TD 124 turntables from 1957-1969. Meaning many made. And they were used in a variety of discriminating applications from home use to even broadcasting use. Many older FM Stereo stations and BBC Local radio used them.

As I acquired #42367 about a week ago I've been seeking the same information with no definitive answer... yet.

What I've read indicates that about 95,000 were made from 1957 until the MKII was introduced in 1967. The early ones had a 4 digit serial number. One person dated his 12XXX serial number to 1959.

An informative source, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm

I'll keep looking.

Edit: I saw it mentioned that the earlier ones had a production date stamped on the underside of the idler. How a 4XXXX serial number relates to early/late... ?

Last edited:
Dug through some old manuals, we own a 40,000 SN range TD-124. It was bought new at The Stereo Center in Knoxville, TN. March 21, 1964. So this should date your unit being sometime around early to middle 1964. The receipt had the serial number of the turntable and the date of purchase. It was purchased with a SME 3009 II tonearm, a Shure V-15 original model, a McIntosh 225 power amp, McIntosh MX 110 tuner preamplifier, Altec Lansing 604 speakers, and a Crown open reel machine. Total purchase price in 1964 dollars, $1860.64 We have the speakers and the amp and preamp/tuner which were also given to us when the doctor friend closed his practice and retired. He had the same gear at home. Which we still maintain for him when needed.

Thanks Kent. Do you know what feature(s) define it as a Type I or type II ?

Mine also came with a SME 3009 arm.... #239149 or maybe #239144? Last digit is somewhat illegible so I can't tell for sure. I think it's a Type II improved, at least by comparing it to pictures of SME arms that I see. Also has a V-15 type II.

The Type II had a lighter non-magnetic platter (MC carts could be a problem with the Type I) and improved motor mounts. The chassis was painted a light grey as opposed to the beige of the Type I.

I was fortunate enough to get all the original packaging with mine and the box that the SME 3009 series 2 arm came in is printed with an $89.50 list price!!!

Hmm. Unless my color perception is off, my chassis is light grey. However my platter is definitely magnetic. (It's a weird green color with rubber buttons on it) Wonder what that means?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4070.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4070.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 256
That's definitely a MK I (misspoke earlier). The word "Thorens" is in black on the MK II. Faded paint perhaps? Those rubber dots are clutch pads. When adjusted properly, the lever on the left lifts and stops the aluminum outer platter and that 11 pound inner platter keeps spinning underneath. Neat feature!

Actually, your pic looks more beige than grey. Try some cleaner wax on that spot where the dust bug used to be.

Edit: BTW, keep the speed selector lever in one of the "O" positions. Not only is that electrically off but it keeps the idler disengaged.

Last edited:
Yep, definitely a MK-I model. The speed selector knob was very different on the MK-II.
This particular unit could have been repainted. but I´m with 12AX7 on this one. Try a little cleaner wax and see how it turns out.

Lots for me to learn about the table and arm. Thanks everyone for your assistance !

Actually, your pic looks more beige than grey. Try some cleaner wax on that spot where the dust bug used to be.

Edit: BTW, keep the speed selector lever in one of the "O" positions. Not only is that electrically off but it keeps the idler disengaged.

This thing needs a thorough cleaning, that's for sure. It's pretty grubby. :sigh:
Plus I need to find a couple incidentals for the tonearm, namely a traveling weight and a pulley that goes in the little plastic thing for the anti skate weight.

Re: that speed selector, mine seems to be stuck in the 16 rpm position. I'll need to flip this thing over and do some investigating, and cleaning, and lubing, and....??? Hopefully that stuck speed selector doesn't end up being a real problem to fix......

I'm in the same boat. The one I just got is absolutely pristine... looking. Not a mark on it. Unfortunately, it sat in its box for about 40 years and most of the rubber parts have hardened (the idler and drive belt seem fine) as well as the lubricants. Don't put too much torque on that speed selector knob, they run about $50-$75 on eBay. I was able to free up the shaft at the other end of the steel speed change belt but don't want to do too much until I learn more about that "eddy" brake pitch control.

Read. Read. Read.

Don't put too much torque on that speed selector knob, they run about $50-$75 on eBay.

Yeah, I figured as much. I tried moving it but didn't press the issue too hard for fear of breaking something. Luckily the guy who was selling it didn't either.

Still hoping to find more info on SN dating.

If I'm reading correctly past the dust bug marring, I've got SN 5769

Back
Top Bottom