Thorens TD 160 Cheap Belt Seeker: What's a Good One Under $10

As far as this thread goes, I doubt, if anyone, who has something good to say about cheap belts, will come forward, for fear of the onslaught. And thus, the purpose of the thread, which should be up to the OP to decide, is pretty much defeated.
I don't have any experience with belts (to speak of) but if it's something I DO have experience with, I'll not only extol the virtues of cheap stuff (if it deserves it) but I do it almost from a trolling perspective, daring the purists to prove me wrong.

Almost...

I have not paid more than $159 for a bass since the turn of the century. The one in my picture plays fantastically, sounds great, is very beautiful, and cost $109 brand new, WITH an amp that I sold for $25. :D

I have said that I didn't have any trouble with cheap belts other than accurate speed. What is the bullying about that, it is just the one issue with cheap belts. I said get one that offers a return if you end up with one that doesn't change speeds if you need that. If you don't, any cheap belt for Thorens will give you similar performance.

Why would you want a cheap belt? Needle doctor and Audio Classics have original belts. Would you put a cheap fan belt on your car that could leave you stranded. Every time I buy a new Belt for MY TD 125 I know I will have a 50 to 100 hour break in period. Why would you buy a belt that will not give you optimum performance. I only have to change belts about every 8 to 10 years and I live in the Desert SW where there are pollution issues, too. 10 yers fir $24.00 is. good deal. Think about this, An economical PRB belt we used to sell would increase the W&F of MY THORENS from 50 to 100 %. So you get what you pay for. I know what it is like to be on a budget being on a fixed income my self now.

Why would you want a cheap belt? Needle doctor and Audio Classics have original belts.

We were asked not to pontificate. Why he wants a cheap belt is his business and I'm ok with that. Lots of folks have such tight budgets but a serious desire to have the highly taxed units and will grab one of those units yet can't find a few bills for a decent cartridge. Fortunately, Linn says you don't need a good cartridge and they have it last on the list. If he buys a belt from a reputable seller and it is not to his satisfaction he might be able to return it or maybe the table is getting sold. We have no idea.

I am seeking good stories about cheap belts that work well. If there are none, so be it.
Yeah there is none

As far as this thread goes, I doubt, if anyone, who has something good to say about cheap belts, will come forward, for fear of the onslaught.
No just it's pretty factual that what I commented above and you stated is the truth, there is no onslaught towards anyone.

However I am sure glad you only have 166 post in 10 years, because you attitude sucks. Everyone who posted in your thread was only trying to help you out from making a stupid move, but carry along doing it your way.

quote from 'overhaul guide written by Joel Boutreux, a former employee of Thorens' (found on VinylEngine site)
THE BELT
It does not matter if you will use an original or a reproduction one. Both are too tight! The reproduction do have a more polished surface. This is not an improvement because of the adhesion effect.The high quality requirements of the belt are not practicable by a low production volume even by a nature product like rubber because of the permanent changes of the climate. Therefore a belt adjustment is highest recommendable.The one and only different is that the THORENS belt allows a better elongation

There isn't. Spend the $25-$30 and buy the TD 160 a proper belt. Thakker is the only good alternative. Thorens turntables perform best with proper belts. Don't scrimp on one.

Why would you want a cheap belt? Needle doctor and Audio Classics have original belts. Would you put a cheap fan belt on your car that could leave you stranded. Every time I buy a new Belt for MY TD 125 I know I will have a 50 to 100 hour break in period. Why would you buy a belt that will not give you optimum performance. I only have to change belts about every 8 to 10 years and I live in the Desert SW where there are pollution issues, too. 10 yers fir $24.00 is. good deal. Think about this, An economical PRB belt we used to sell would increase the W&F of MY THORENS from 50 to 100 %. So you get what you pay for. I know what it is like to be on a budget being on a fixed income my self now.

I am on a budget, but I also know as repair technician and audiophile system owner where you have to spend money wisely. On the Thorens, the belt on these is very critical to proper performance (and most aftermarket belts are major contributors to wow/flutter issues on Thorens belt drives). TD 150-160 family belts can and do last many years of service life. 10 years is not unusual from a genuine Thorens belt.

To follow on Kent's comment about service life of the belt. I had one on a table I picked up in 1986, probably original from the purchase in about 1982 (based on the rest of the table parts and accessories) that was replaced about 2014 or so. Sure the table needed a push start and the belt would fall off when the speed was changed but it was speed accurate still. Well past expected life, I'm sure.

Since the OP did not say why he needs a cheap belt, I'm still open to him using whatever belt he finds that will do what he needs the table to do.

Turntableneedles.com inc.

Corvallis Oregon

Cheap story....

Find an o-ring almost large enough, stretch it across and use rubber cement as belt dressing.

Now you have your cheap story from a real cheapskate.....

Syke !!!

To follow on Kent's comment about service life of the belt. I had one on a table I picked up in 1986, probably original from the purchase in about 1982 (based on the rest of the table parts and accessories) that was replaced about 2014 or so. Sure the table needed a push start and the belt would fall off when the speed was changed but it was speed accurate still. Well past expected life, I'm sure.

Since the OP did not say why he needs a cheap belt, I'm still open to him using whatever belt he finds that will do what he needs the table to do.

I use decent aftermarket belts on many turntables. Which don't give me problems. When I advise you to buy a genuine belt for a turntable, I have good reasons why and over 46 years of knowledge base, and the AK knowledge base to back that. There are several turntables, I never recommend you buy just any belt for, Thorens happens to be one of them, Empire, Rek-O-Kut, and many early Pioneer models (The PL 50 especially) are key examples

What you should do is send Joel Boutreux an email and have him recommend something for under $10.

Back
Top Bottom