Thorens TD-165

mrjbq

Bose forum Moderator
Subscriber
Where does this model fit in the lineup? How does it compare to the other models in terms of performance, collectibility, etc?

If your looking for an entry level table the 165 would be hard to beat vs tables costing many dollars more. Even in stock form this table will amaze you with the right cart when setup properly. It falls in the category, for me at least, that less is more. By less I mean in the functions, like auto cuing/auto return and such.

As for where it fits in the Thorens lineup, not as good as the 124/125 but better than the................. :dunno: We all have our own taste in sound reproduction from a table, you will have to decide yours. I personally love the 150's, will until I pass away.

Just one persons thoughts, there will be others. :smoke:

TD-150 MKII vote hear. I never liked the TD-145/160/165 very much. The TD-160 Super would be nice... if you can find one.

The 165 was my entry into audiophile tt's a few years ago. I always wanted a Thorens. My previous tt's were a BIC 960 (a great work workhorse), a
Technics and Sherwood with P-mounts; then CDs took over as my main media in the late 1980s.

I love the Thorens 165. I bought it used with a Shure M91ED cart. It's simple, elegant and a strong performer thanks to the floating suspension and no-frills/manual operation design. Very easy to maintain. I highly recommend it.

So, is the 165 above or below the 160?
Thanks.

Technically, its below the 160. It sometimes has a smaller bearing and spindle, and usually is equipped with a simpler tonearm. But it can be modified like a 160 in most respects, and is a pretty decent table in its own right.

If turntables of quality are hard to find in your area, and this is available locally, I'd say get it if the price is right and start from there.

The only difference is the 165 has a resin inner platter and string anti-skate. 7mm and 10mm bearings are found on both the 165 and 160. A lighter set of springs on the 165. What the resin platter looses in momentum it gains in dampening. And I'd always be happy enough with string AS. I even kind of like it.

All the other parts are the same more or less, and as the others have said, the tables can be modified in exactly the same way. Also I'd imagine both to be as frustrating to set up as the other. Locating 2mm screws just the right length to mount a cart, suspension tuning for the perfect bounce and VTA adjustments are the biggest challenges for both tables. Setting a string AS is childsplay in comparison.

Digging my TD 165 - sounding real real good and far from fully tweaked as yet. Custom Walnut Plinth makes it pleasing to look at

Back
Top Bottom