Thoren's TD 166 MKII score!

bolly

Lunatic Member
Comes with an Audio Technica AT130E, from the original owner, with about 30 hours use. A couple pics,

All I know is; she turns on, arm raises and lowers, and she shined up real friggin' nice! :banana: Can't wait to try and set her up and spin some discs. :D

my first one, this is only the 3rd one I've seen in the "flesh"

I figure I'll have some fun tryin' this Thorens out today... Anyone have any set-up pointers? She sure is sweet lookin'

What did you pay for yours?

I saw one here in a local pawn shop for $200... the base was
near mint but the dust cover was pretty scratched up

Scott

Nice looking table Bolly. I'm just getting the TD-145 I picked up a couple of weeks ago dialed in. So far it sounds pretty good. As far as lubrication is concerned there's really only the main platter bearing to worry about, seems lie most people like either Mobil 1 or Phil Wood Tenacious Oil for that. For other set up info and tweaks the best bet is http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm more info there than you probably ever wanted to know.

Thanks BW! Hey Scott, had to pay $45CDN. :thmbsp: Only bad thing is one channel sounds faint and I can hear an awful hum as well. Ideas?

First thing I'd check would be the wires to the cart
to make sure one isn't broken...

Next you could check the actual wires from the table
to make sure the problem channel has a good ground
at the table.

Also try reversing the wires at your receiver/amp to
make sure it's not the inputs (I assume that you had
another table connected ther already so hopefully
they're okay).

Scott

Can't wait to fault-find her after work SPL db! :yes: I did have a Kenwood T/T hooked to the Sansui earlier in the week that was workin' properly... but ya never know. Thanks for the tips! :thmbsp:

lunchbreak!

Figured I'd try her again... flipped my AU-11K's switches a couple times and viola, She's workin' like a charm! :banana:

Last edited:
Just spun "In Your Eyes"-Peter Gabriel, I am impressed! Finally, I snag a nice T/T.

Oh man, at 45 cd$ you just got the deal of the century.

Me, I have the TD-166 mkI,and I really like the sound of it.But; one of it's weak points: the connectors/the link between cartridge and the headshell looks like
some kind of soft copper,and it oxidizes before you can say
diddly squat. I would figure that if the table has been used in a
*Hi Moisture* part of the state,this could be your problem.
Clean them contacts and take y'r time doing it.

regards
Jmsd

here's one of her in action

...playin' Heart's, Crazy On You...

Thank you AudioGod! :banana:

i don't know how you guys do it. since i have joined this site, i have been going treasure hunting every chance i get; have come up empty handed every time. although i am paying 1.86 per gallon of fuel. real nice tt, congrats.

regards, j. garcia

Back
Top Bottom