Thorens TD 166 MKII Tonearm

Autobahn

I've just acquired a nice Thorens TD 166 MKII. Just needed a little cleaning, and I also replaced the Belt. Pics of other Thorens TD 166 MKIIs' I have seen have a different Tonearm than the one on mine. Anybody here have a Thorens TD 166 MKII with this Tonearm? It plays great.

Mike
20170108_172603.jpg 20170108_172621.jpg

There is a very similar tonearm on my TD-146 (see photos) which is the Thorens TP11 MkIII. Looks like the primary difference is that yours has a headshell and mine has a cartridge arm.IMG_4893.JPG IMG_4894.JPG

The tonearm on my TD-146 is also another TP11 MKIII just like the one that kapohoguy has pictured above.

this arm is the tp21,originally mounted on the td316/318 and also on the td146 mk2 the mass is 12,5g unlike the tp11mk2/mk3 ( 7,5g )mounted on the td166 mk2

Would the TP21 be any better (or worse) than the TP11 that should be on my TD166 mk2? Or would that really depend on what type / compliance Cartridge is being used?

Mike

Last edited:
Everything else being equal, I think you are better off having the 12.5 gram mass tonearm. It's not easy finding new cartridges that like a 7.5 g tonearm in today's market.

I have a TD-147 turntable with the 7.5 g arm. I started with a Shure M97xE cartridge and it sounded okay. I thought it sounded quite a bit better with an Ortofon OM-20/30. To my ear, neither of those carts are even in the same league with the Denon DL-301 MKII LOMC that I'm running now.

That's a very nice looking 166!

Everything else being equal, I think you are better off having the 12.5 gram mass tonearm. It's not easy finding new cartridges that like a 7.5 g tonearm in today's market.

I have a TD-147 turntable with the 7.5 g arm. I started with a Shure M97xE cartridge and it sounded okay. I thought it sounded quite a bit better with an Ortofon OM-20/30. To my ear, neither of those carts are even in the same league with the Denon DL-301 MKII LOMC that I'm running now.

That's a very nice looking 166!

Thanks!

I wonder if it would match the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge I ordered?
Ortofon 2M Blue specs:

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 5,5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1,5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 25 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 80 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
Stylus type - Nude Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range - 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1,8 g (18 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°

Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1,3 kOhm
Internal inductance - 700 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 150-300 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Blue
Cartridge weight - 7,2 g

I think the opposite. It is not easy to find cartridges that like a 12.5 gram arm. Many combinations using MM cartridges will lead to resonances below 10 Hz. For example, the Ortofon above will be around 8 Hz. With the 7,5 gram arm or a 4 gram Moerch arm, the resonance will be around 9 Hz and 10.4 Hz, respectively[/QUOTE]

I think the opposite. It is not easy to find cartridges that like a 12.5 gram arm. Many combinations using MM cartridges will lead to resonances below 10 Hz. For example, the Ortofon above will be around 8 Hz. With the 7,5 gram arm or a 4 gram Moerch arm, the resonance will be around 9 Hz and 10.4 Hz, respectively
[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the AK turn table forum. :music:

Well after doing a little more searching I have found the TP21 Tonearm on a few other TD166 mk2. Maybe it was a option from Thorens?

many modern arms (rega,linn,jelco,pro-ject....)are 11.5/13g!isnt?

Projects are around 8-9 gram,
Linn around 10 g.
REGA 11 g

Preferred matching should be as high as possible without interfering with the music signal. The lightest combination I hav used is my Moerch UP-4 + Ortofon OM40 without the 2,5 g weight (4 gram + 2,5 gram). It gives around 12-13 Hz resonance.

I changed out the plinth and knobs on my 166 MKII. I use a Shure V15 IV cart with a Jico SAS stylus on the TP 11 tonearm with new upgraded leads. Killer sound!! My deck is mounted on a wall shelf - this was just on the desk for photographing.

IMG_6614.jpg IMG_6617.jpg

Well I mounted the Ortofon 2M Blue on it. Used the Baerwald Arc Protractor from Vinylengine, set the Tracking at 1.85g, and set the Anti-Skate. It sounds GREAT!! I tried a few different LPs. Pink Floyd, Sade, Dan Fogerty, AC DC, Cars, U2, Simply Red.
Everything is leveled also beforehand. I have the Thorens sitting on a 1.5 inch thick Granite plate for isolation, and the floor is concrete under the thin carpet.
I have it hooked up to a Marantz 2270 that I re-capped last spring, and to a pair of Canton CT 1000 speakers.

Mike

With a arm mass of 12.5 g you can us any good Hi end LOMC like Benz , ZYX or Dynavector.Also good MM like Ortofon 2M with that tonearm you can any Hi end cartridge made today.

With a arm mass of 12.5 g you can us any good Hi end LOMC like Benz , ZYX or Dynavector.Also good MM like Ortofon 2M with that tonearm you can any Hi end cartridge made today.

I see in your signature you have a TD150 MKII. I just got one the other week. I'll be doing a little modding on it. Already have a Rega RB300 for it. I plan on keeping this one.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom