1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Thorens TD160 mkII Grace F9 edition value

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by bberkom, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a lead on a Thorens TD160 mkII. This is a special edition that came with a Grace F9 cartridge and says Grace on the chassis. The stylus has been replaced with what the seller says is a modified stylus for another cart that someone sells on ebay but that works with the F9? The table shows some minor cosmetic wear but has been well maintained and includes dust cover and an extra arm wand.

Seller has also upgraded damping of suspension, turntable feet, platter mat and still has all original parts he will include with table. I am thinking I may need to replace the stylus with another, which I know is expensive for the Grace F9 cart from soundsmith. I have other nice carts I can put on it in the meantime if needed.

Is $400 a good price for this? Considering that it is basically plug and play with that Grace cart on it and extra arm wand and other modifications, seems like a pretty good deal. What do you think?

2. GoldSounds

GoldSounds Active Member

Around Chicago, $400 would be a fair price for the table alone if it was in decent shape. Having a good dust cover, extra wand and of course the pièce de résistance - the Grace F9 - makes it an excellent deal. Seriously, the Grace is considered to be one of the best MM carts ever made and alone goes for the asking price.

3. bberkom

Thanks for the reassurance. The owner is very knowledgeable about the table and has done a lot of work on it himself, so if I can set up a time to take a look at it this weekend I'll probably snag it.

4. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Beware of the "footfall" problem. :eek:

5. bberkom

My TTS-3000 has a suspended chassis so I've battled that demon already. But I hear these are pretty susceptible to footfall. May finally talk the wife into a wall shelf...

6. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

As long as you know of the problem. :music:

7. bberkom

Much appreciated. Going to take a look in about an hour!

GoldSounds likes this.
  8. DanBNash

DanBNash AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think that's a really good price!

9. bberkom

I just got home, set it up, and it's playing now in my Sony system. The stylus on the Grace F9 cartridge played well at the seller's house (who is also an AK member, which is always comforting), but I know it needs to be replaced (at great cost) before it's a daily driver. The only cartridge I have that would work with the lengths of special Thorens 2mm screws in that PITA mounting scheme is my Shure m97xe, which I have always liked and sounds great on this table! I plan to track down some more screws and try some other carts out, especially my Shure V15 III. I need a new belt as well and contacted Dave at vinyl nirvana about these items.

I'll get a new stylus for the Grace when I save up a little. Definitely want to hold onto it until I get the chance to really hear it. Everything is in excellent shape, and the dust cover and extra wand are very nice to have.

Attached Files:

DanBNash likes this.
  10. pl50

pl50 Active Member

You got a great deal, that's really beautiful. Bet it sounds amazing.

11. fishondwan

fishondwan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great grab .... enjoy !

12. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

Got a beauty there I'd say. As an owner of the Grace F-9 with Soundsmith stylus I can highly recommend Peter's replacement. I labored so long over which model to get, I was really leaning to the top Ruby model then thought to myself, I play records, I play a LOT of records, let me get the regular elliptical and have the money left over when it needs to be replaced/repaired in the future. I have to say, the entry level stylus from SM leaves little to be desired, it is really nice. I've had several nice AT line contact types and this one doesn't disappoint, have it tracking at about 1.4 grams. I really like his stylus holder design as well!

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

13. bberkom

Thanks for the advice. So did you get the aluminum cantilevered version? It'll be easy to spend as much on the stylus as I did for the table.

14. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

Yes, got the lowest cost aluminum cantilevered version (RS-9E) and am very happy with it. Would be half the cost of your table and makes sense, I think.