Thorens TT volume low even with phono Receiver

Mr_Turtle

Greetings folks!

Here's the problem: Even though my receiver has Phono ins and outs, my vinyls still sound MUCH lower in volume than the FM radio. If I can play the FM radio at a 2 on the volume dial, I'll have to crank the vinyl to an 8 or higher to get the same volume.

Turntable is well more than I deserve:
Thorens TD 160 BC Mk II with custom Grace arm and a top-end ruby-tipped MR cartridge.

Receiver is a Kenwood KS 4000R

Speakers are Technics SB-CR77s

Do I need a pre-amp even though the Receiver is phono already? New receiver? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mr_Turtle

Do you know what the MV of the phono cartridge is? Could be to low for the phono input. May need a step up transformer.

Looking at your receiver's specs. it looks like it requires a 5,0mV input on the phono section.
Check to see what the cartridge output voltage is.

Do you have a make and model on the cartridge? The phono input on your receiver is for use with moving magnet cartridges, which generally have an output between 3 and 6 mV, with most around 5 mV. If your cartridge is a low-output moving coil cartridge, the output is less than 2 mV, and that could easily account for the very large volume imbalance between phono and FM playback. If the cartridge is in fact an LOMC, you will need either a step-up transformer or an outboard LOMC-capable phono pre-amp to use the cartridge with your current receiver.

BTW, records are not 'vinyls'.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Here's an update:

The cartridge is a Dynavector KARAT 23RS MR (Moving Coil pickup). The output voltage is listed in the tech specs as 0.2mV. So it seems that @Tedrick , @kaplang , and @Bucky Badger were correct. Should I now look into a step-up transformer? If so, any suggestions? Or should I look into a different cartridge? I'm open to suggestions.

The Karat is a very nice cartridge. I'd look for a SUT or an LOMC-capable outboard phono preamp and keep the cartridge.

There are 4 options.

The first live with the situation and turn up the volume. The only downside is that your maximum volume for the phono may be limited and switching from phono to another input may put an extremely loud blast of music through your speakers when you switch to another input if you forget to reduce your volume control. Not a good thing and not a trivial risk, but something you can do.

Use an external preamp made for a low output moving coil cartridge and feed that into one of your high level inputs.

Use a step up transformer

Use a head amp

The last two will still require the use of your phono preamp in your receiver.

Shelly_D

The Karat is a very nice cartridge. I'd look for a SUT or an LOMC-capable outboard phono preamp and keep the cartridge.

I agree with getting a SUT, if your budget can handle the expense. Then you will also have it to use with other low output carts you may want to use in the future.

You can also build a DIY preamp. This thread has a really good one:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....igh-end-phono-stage-no-expense-spared.371889/

On the current last page, page 137, you will find the schematic reposted and my recommendations on modifying the circuit (change 4 resistors) to provide the gain for a moving coil cartridge and 2 resistors change to provide the best loading for your cartridge.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....phono-stage-no-expense-spared.371889/page-137

Good luck with it.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom