Thorens: Which one is for me?

Pappas3278

I'm looking to buy a used Thorens TT off of Ebay, but, I don't know which one I should be keeping my eye on.
Are all Thorens made with the same build quality?
Is there a model I should stay away from?
Don't want to spend more than $350

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-Mike

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Check out www.theanalogdept.com for more information on Thorens than you can handle. I personally like my TD-160 alot! Others rave about their TD-XXX, and of course there is the mythological TD-125. Also do a search here on AK for Thorens, you might be amazed at the info you can find.

Hey Pappas3278, Here's what I've learned in the past few years since I got back into vinyl.

First, decide if you want a semi-automatic Thorens -- one that shuts off and lifts the arm at the end of a side. Some people rip 'em, but for people like me (who sometimes fall asleep while listening, or get called away to stop the kids from setting each other on fire) this feature is a necessity.

If you want this feature, the TD-145 is good; it's a TD-160 with the auto-off added. The TD-147 is supposedly better; it's a TD-165 with auto-off added. The TD-126 is supposedly even better. A later model is the TD-320, which I have and which I think is great. It'll cost $200-250 on ebay.

If you want a manual table, the TD-160 is good and the most common model you'll find. The TD-165 is supposed to be better. The TD-316 and TD-318 are newer models (manual versions of the TD-320) and they have heavy plinths and decent arms.

When I first looked at getting back to vinyl, a local audio guy told me I'd get more bang for my buck with the newer TD-3xx models then the older TD-12x or TD-16x models. He also happened to think the TD-3xx series were better tables. I trusted him and kept my eye out for the 320. It's been great. In the past 2 years I've started a couple of threads here and on a'gon asking how I might move up the food-chain of semi-automatic tables. DDarch here has suggested the TD-126, although he hasn't heard a TD-320. On a'gon, the consensus, although there wasn't much feedback, was that I may already have as good a semi-auto model as was made. (Of course, the responders made sure to put me in my place for wanting so un-audiophile feature as semi-auto!)

Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
"(Of course, the [a'gon] responders made sure to put me in my place for wanting so un-audiophile feature as semi-auto!)"

So what world are they living on? Planet AudioFool? A semi-auto TT makes great sense in the real world of playing vinyl and having a life with other people and other activities in it.

I do have a manual TT for transcription to other media. But daily driver is a semi-auto, and damn proud of it! <G>.

Hi Mike,

If you can find one similar to the one in the attached pick for $350, grab it. :yes:

I´ll then offer you a 1000 % profit. :D And I´ll even pay shipping.

Jorge

Spelling

Jorge,

It's Crimson, King Crimson.

So are you really willing to pay $3,500 for a Reference? Why?

His budget is $350; can you provide any assistance?

winegasman said:
Jorge,

Winegasman,

Thanks for the spelling correction. I can´t even excuse myself for not being a native english speaking person, for I own a couple of King Crimson´s records. :eek:

I´d be willing to pay a lot more for a Reference ( though I´d have to get a 2nd mortgage on my house ), for that´s one of the rarest and best TT´s ever made. I very much doubdt one can be found for less than 20 / 30 K.

Kidding aside, and to answer Mike´s original question, I´m partial to the TD 124, which I also think will be very hard to get for $350 complete with plinth and arm. I´d say anything in the line of the 145 / 160 / 166, or better still, 125 / 126 will be fine.

As pointed out by drspiff The Analogue dept. is an invaluable sorce of information on Thorens TT´s.

Jorge

Jorge,

Thanks for taking my strident comments with good graces.

I agree that the Thorens Reference is, by reputation, one of the great & rare tables. But can it really make an LP sound 10-100 times better than a lowly TD-320? The law of dimishing returns must definitely be in play when this table is considered!! Be truthful -- it would be an ego thing to own one; it'snot about the sound. Right?

I can recomend the TD 150, TD 160 and the TD 145. All are excellent and I would look for one in good condition; be patient. Check Dave at Vinyl Nirvana, he sells some excellent TT's. and also would check the Craig list in your area too. Good luck

Pretty much you can't go wrong with any Thorens. I have a TD 126, used to have a TD165, and a TD150. The TD150 arm is not as good as the others, I'd stay away from that one. I'm also not too keen on the TD124 because it has a combination idler wheel and belt drive and parts are not going to be available for it.

Hey, thanks for all your comments people. Very much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure you'll know the day I commit to one because...well, you know how it goes.

-Mike

Hello,stuwee20 here, I think you should consider the placement of the table 1st. While most 70's THORENS will isolate within an inch of they're lives. It is the arm and cartridge to really think about. Buy all means find a well cared for 124,125,160 ETC...find one with an arm upgrade...SME, YORK, INTERMEADIA. Spend all you can on a great GRADO cartridge and enjoy!!! regards Craig

I bought a really nice Thorens 160 off of Audiogon (after looking for a good deal for several months) a little over a year ago. It came with a Linn LVX arm installed and 3 cartridges (Denon 110, AT440ML, Shure III), Shure VTF gauge, mirror alignment tool, record weight, and packed to survive WWIII. All for $220 shipped. It also had a new Thorens motor (not sure where he got this) installed, along with 2 new belts. Deals are still available, but it takes patience and being ready to jump when you find a good one.

The one thing you need to be aware of on these suspension tables is you will need to wall mount it if you don't have cement floors. You want to adjust the spring suspension bouncy and level. Lots of simple, easy, cheap tweaks for these tables. Checkout theanalogdept.com for LOTS of info. I recommend them highly, just make sure the seller knows how to package a turntable. Otherwise the shaft will be bent, dustcover broken, broken arm and damaged plinth. Otherwise a box of broken parts. Not fun.

winegasman said:
Jorge,

I would love to find a reference for under 10,000. Let alone 3,500.
Seriously a 125,145,or 160 is in your range. I own them all and they are great for that money.

For those that want a Thorens Reference (myself included), here is a starter kit :D. I guess that the Reference falls into the category of -The Whole is less than the Sum of the parts. Or is that vesa virsa, never quite understood that phrase :scratch2:.

More seriously though, I love the Thorens' that I have. Couldn't ask for a better TT in it's class. Even if it's the TD150, which I started with and then visited The Analog Dept. to find the tweaks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thorens-Referen...1QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

winegasman said:
Be truthful -- it would be an ego thing to own one; it'snot about the sound. Right?

Of course it would be ( partly ) an ego thing. I never even seen one in the flesh, let alone hear it. :D

But then again I would also buy a Bugatti Royale, if ever I came across one. Never mind the fact I would have to get 10 mortgages on my house... :sigh:

Jorge

P.S. - I do own a TD 124 which IMO is the second best thing next to the Reference, the first one being the Prestige.

Last edited:
Hmm no one mentions the TD-166 MKII. Also one you should keep an eye out for. Try and buy local as others have mentioned unless it is from someone in the business of shipping TT's. If you can, have it checked by someone with TT expertise to make sure the bearings are good and to help you get it setup just right. Suspended tables need to be setup properly to function well, and if it comes shipped the suspension will be locked down so you'll need to adjust it.

Thorens are very nice tables too. You can spend a lot more money and not end up with a better sounding table than many Thorens TT's. I'd also suggest watching for a Linn Basik if you can find one for $350. ( It is difficult but not impossible).

Good luck

Mike

Well, I went with the TD160. I had a nice & brief consulting call with Dave from Vinyl Nirvana and I just put down a deposit on it. Pretty damn excited I have to say!
I'll be upgrading from a Pinoeer 12D (fine table actualy).

So, a nice laurel & hardy hand shake to all of you who responded to this post.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom