those eBay DIY amp kits..

20Hz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
thoughts on these? There are a ton of them, seem to be relatively inexpensive. I imagine like anything the quality of the components you put in them and careful soldering will make a difference, but are the basic topologies sound? Anyone have experience with them?

thoughts on these? There are a ton of them, seem to be relatively inexpensive. I imagine like anything the quality of the components you put in them and careful soldering will make a difference, but are the basic topologies sound? Anyone have experience with them?
Examples please !
One cannot judge unspecified items with precision, it will be something of a blind guess.

Its actually transformers and basic circuit design that will have the most effect. A bad circuit with premium parts is never going to perform well.

Its actually transformers and basic circuit design that will have the most effect. A bad circuit with premium parts is never going to perform well.

Yes I meant to include transformers. I guess I was wondering if the circuit design is any good on these, if anyone had tried them.

Yeah sorry, it was late and I was worried that linking eBay items might violate some rule :)
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....very-member-read-this-before-you-post.173884/

Auction links:
Any post that contains a link to any current eBay, CraigsList, or Audiogon auction must go in D&S. Any time you post a link to an auction you must state: "Not mine.", or “I have no affiliation with this auction.” If it turns out that the auction is for an item that you/your neighbor/your boss/your idiot brother-in-law or anybody else you know has any involvement with whatsoever, the consequences will be severe. Don’t shill your stuff here.

You may post a link to an auction because:
You’re curious as to the item’s value, desirability, sound quality, whether or not it has all its original parts, etc.
You would simply like to give other members a “heads-up” about an interesting item.

I have a little bear phono preamplifier, and I am very happy with it. One reservation is the power transformer primary is designed for 110V and not 120.

The once shown uses russian/chinese tubes, you _might_ have problems to get replacements. Don't trust the
vendor, search for them yourself.
Output power ( 7w per channel) is to low to qualify as "hifi" ( german din norm 45500 ) they have mentioned 12w/channel
as requirement, but with high sensitive speakers ( read expensive) 7w might do.

The price does not favor, US kits ( dynakitparts.com et al) might be cheaper and certainly provides "standard tubes"
and full documentation. In addition several of the us kit dealers offers both phone support and "send-in-fix".

The once shown uses russian/chinese tubes, you _might_ have problems to get replacements. Don't trust the
vendor, search for them yourself.
Output power ( 7w per channel) is to low to qualify as "hifi" ( german din norm 45500 ) they have mentioned 12w/channel
as requirement, but with high sensitive speakers ( read expensive) 7w might do.

The price does not favor, US kits ( dynakitparts.com et al) might be cheaper and certainly provides "standard tubes"
and full documentation. In addition several of the us kit dealers offers both phone support and "send-in-fix".

will do. Thanks

The Millett designs are great. I built one of his starving student headphone amps and it's fantastic.

I built Pete's "Engineer's amplifier" using his PC board and am very happy with it. Everything cost some bucks, but it came together very well.
(no affiliation :))

IMO, if you are going to make a single ended amp, then point to point or hard wiring is much better. The circuit is very simple with usually just 2 tubes per amp or 3 if using a tube rectifier. Obviously, P2P allows more flexibility and options. More ways to express your own aesthetic.

IMO, if you are going to make a single ended amp, then point to point or hard wiring is much better. The circuit is very simple with usually just 2 tubes per amp or 3 if using a tube rectifier. Obviously, P2P allows more flexibility and options. More ways to express your own aesthetic.
plus it looks cool.
You're specifically looking for single ended? What are your power requirements?
jeff

I don't really know my power requirements. I'm interested in trying out the highly efficient Open Baffle/SET amp combo. I have lots of powerful amps and nice box speakers but am totally intrigued by how people describe the experience of that kind of combo for certain types of listening. I guess it makes more sense to spend a little more coin and get more quality, ala the Millet designs or Bottlehead kits or similar.

While its not tube, ive been eyeballing some of the low power MOSFET class A amp kits.
Wonder how MOSFETS work in class A amp setup.

Back
Top Bottom