Those "Not Been Tested" Ads (AKA: Balogna Served Cold)

Some eBay sellers have been burned too many times and now try and stop returns by saying "not tested". If one sells on eBay one is going to take returns, its just how selling things work. I get a kick out of sellers say NO RETURNS but say an item works. Well if the listing says it works, and it does not work, eBay will give the buyer a refund. Shipping heavy old electronics is risky and sometimes items don't make it. I have had a few receivers that flat out were no good when I got them. Some went back and some just refunded the price.......those are the ones that knew they sent out an iffy item I think.

I have an extremely low rate of return because I take a huge amount of pictures and write long and detailed descriptions. Lazy sellers take more returns.

My favorite is a local CL listing -holds firm on $3700 for a "lights up " don't know anything else about it ? Odd it hasn't sold yet ?

If I'm out and about, sometimes I will stop at estate sales or yard sales that state that there is stereo gear there. I just love it when someone proudly shows me some overpriced POS and thinks it's really awesome because it was his dad's or grandfather's--just never had the heart to tell them that their dad or grandfather were cheap old crotches with really bad taste in audio gear--I just politely decline and leave.

Just today I had a conversation with a guy that wasn't about selling stereos but is still comparable. He traded for a zero turn mower with a broken belt. He bought a new belt and it keeps throwing it off so he has decided to sell it. He said he was going to take it to an auction and tell them that he took it in on trade and knows nothing about it. I feel that it's unethical but that's the world that we live in.

I get a kick out of sellers say NO RETURNS but say an item works. Well if the listing says it works, and it does not work, eBay will give the buyer a refund.

I'm fine with giving a refund in that case but I don't want to pay for return shipping.

I personally don't accept returns for a few reasons: One is because I don't want a broken item back; what would I do with it? Two, it often costs more to ship than it's worth. DVDs happen to be a great example. It costs more for a bubble mailer and postage than I pay for them. Why would I run someone though the hassle of a return when I can just refund you and move on? Video games on the other hand are a whole other racket. Person buys game and beats it in a weekend then returns it. I just became their rental company.

I'm fine with giving a refund in that case but I don't want to pay for return shipping.

I personally don't accept returns for a few reasons: One is because I don't want a broken item back; what would I do with it? Two, it often costs more to ship than it's worth. DVDs happen to be a great example. It costs more for a bubble mailer and postage than I pay for them. Why would I run someone though the hassle of a return when I can just refund you and move on? Video games on the other hand are a whole other racket. Person buys game and beats it in a weekend then returns it. I just became their rental company.

I dont take returns either. I am veeeery careful about my listings and take a huge amount of pictures (especially with watches) but I have had to eat a few things. The one watch I had sent back had the movement stolen out of it and I complained and got my DSRs adjusted so the return did not count against me. I also HATE to sell heavy electronics (so I usually dont) but when I do, I pack like there is no tomorrow.

Ebay has its obstacles for sellers but most of the time it is worth it simply for the amount of eyeballs that get laid on what you are selling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom