Thoughts and advice on power amp??

dwade277

I am thinking about changing up my system a bit. I have a Sansui G-9000 and use a pair of Infinity Quantum 4's. The Q4's are rated @ 250 wpc the G-9000 puts out around 160 wpc. I love the sound and look of the G-9000 but I don't think it pushes the Q4's enough?
I was thinking of buying an older Dynaco PAS 3x tube pre amp (wormer sound) and matching it with a solid state power amp that has an output that matches the Quantum 4's.
I know Sansui produced a bunch of power amps but I don't know which one would be a good match for the Dynaco and Q4?
Can anyone help with some suggestions or ideas with possable seperate combanations??
Thanks Damon

160W ain't enough? Whatta tryin' to do, go deaf? ;)

Most G-901 and G-9000's crank out about 200WPC anyway, regardless of the 160W rating. Also consider that...even if you doubled the power to 320WPC, you've only increased actual volume by 3db...just enough to know that you've turned it up a bit. Now, if you currently had a 50WPC amp, and wanted to jump to 200+WPC, that might be worthwhile. But from where you are now with the G-9000, it's really a serious case of diminishing returns.

If you want a bigger amp, cool. But if you are thinking that it'll rock the room harder, it won't.

echowars, thanks for the reply. I am not looking to increase the volume. The G-9000 is plenty loud and then some. I am wondering if I match the spearkers wpc with the power amps wpc the speakers may become more efficient and sound better at lower volums?
I also want to experience a bit with pre amp and power amp combonations. The Dynaco PAS 3x is something I can afford. I want to match it with a solid state power amp, Sansui or another brand?

Lol!! Just given you a hard time...

A separate amp with the power that the G-9000 has is going to be spendy... And there really is no such thing as matching the speaker power rating to an amp, although I would admit that different amp/speaker combinations can sound different. Certainly you can experiment, but it's the kind of experiment that can get expensive.

There are only two separate amps that Sansui made that crank out more power than the G-9000 receiver...the BA-3000 at 170WPC, and the BA-5000 at 300WPC (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's it...) Both sell for a premium, and you can buy a halfway decent used car for what the 5000 usually sells for.

Swapping gear is part of the fun, as long as you got the bucks.:cool:

Hey, here're some more:

B-2301 / B-2301L - 300 wpc 8 ohms

B-2201L - 200 wpc 8 ohms B-2301L

and perhaps also Ba-2000 from the definition series.

Back
Top Bottom