Thoughts on Acrylic Platter Mat?

krameraxeman

I ordered up one of these XTM1 acrylic platter mats to replace the stock rubber mat on my Panasonic RD-3600. I really like the sound improvement and lack of static that my friend got when he upgraded his mmf 2.2 with a acrylic platter. I'm hoping to get similar results.

Anyone have experience with this mat or similar ones? Thoughts?

I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this. I love the looks of the frosted ones, and they make one that "fits" the Thorens....

I made a DIY mat out of acrylic for my Thorens TD-160. Didn't like the sound that much. It was a bit dark & thin sounding. Using a Technics SL-B3 rubber mat turned upside-down. This is the best sounding mat. I've tried many DIY mats.

I've had an acrylic mat on my Delphi for over 20 years, before Oracle offered it as an option. I forget the brand name, but it has a slight concave dish machined into the top of it so the record edge contacts the mat even if it is slightly warped. It also has a peel and stick adhesive to couple the mat to the platter.

This adhesive is very important, and is not included with the XTM1 mat. Consequently the sound may be thin and/or bright as has already been noted. You could try double sided tape, or a fabric adhesive sprayed onto the mat.

Also absent is the concavity shaped into the top, but this is easily remedied with a Michell clamp and felt washer.

I personally like the sound of an acrylic mat and believe it is now a standard feature on the Delphi table. Bass is tight, harmonically clear and dynamic, as is the rest of the spectrum. The noise floor is also lower and there is less 'needle talk'

If you find you're not satisfied with it, do try the adhesive before giving up on it as it makes all the difference in the world.

I've had an acrylic mat on my Delphi for over 20 years, before Oracle offered it as an option. I forget the brand name, but it has a slight concave dish machined into the top of it so the record edge contacts the mat even if it is slightly warped. It also has a peel and stick adhesive to couple the mat to the platter.

This adhesive is very important, and is not included with the XTM1 mat. Consequently the sound may be thin and/or bright as has already been noted. You could try double sided tape, or a fabric adhesive sprayed onto the mat.

Also absent is the concavity shaped into the top, but this is easily remedied with a Michell clamp and felt washer.

I personally like the sound of an acrylic mat and believe it is now a standard feature on the Delphi table. Bass is tight, harmonically clear and dynamic, as is the rest of the spectrum. The noise floor is also lower and there is less 'needle talk'

If you find you're not satisfied with it, do try the adhesive before giving up on it as it makes all the difference in the world.

I will definitely be using a record stabilizer weight so I'm good there. As for the lack of adhesive, I wonder if something like this would work well to stick the platter mat down to my aluminium platter without being too permanent?

Have you noticed less static using the acrylic platter mat? That's really my main issue with my rubber mat.

Last edited:
You can try it. I've seen suggestions that a few small pieces is all that's needed, but I suggest you cover the entire surface to ensure complete coupling. That's how the mat on the Delphi was treated.

An alternative to tape is 3M Super 77 adhesive, but applied to only one surface. The mat should just peel off if you want to remove it, but I haven't tried it myself.

In either case, a solvent like mineral spirits or lighter fluid should undo the adhesive.

I doubt you'll notice any difference regarding static. A Milty Zerostat or something similar will take care of that.

You can try it. I've seen suggestions that a few small pieces is all that's needed, but I suggest you cover the entire surface to ensure complete coupling. That's how the mat on the Delphi was treated.

An alternative to tape is 3M Super 77 adhesive, but applied to only one surface. The mat should just peel off if you want to remove it, but I haven't tried it myself.

In either case, a solvent like mineral spirits or lighter fluid should undo the adhesive.

I doubt you'll notice any difference regarding static. A Milty Zerostat or something similar will take care of that.

Cool, I'll keep that 3M Super 77 in mind. I can see how that would be better than a few strips of tape.

I just read where you use a dryer sheet under your mat to reduce static. I'm going to try it with my rubber mat when I get home tonight.

Bummer. I wondered if they make a frosted acrylic platter for a Denon DP47f, but I just noticed they are in the UK and on ebay. I can't and won't do ebay and the whole money conversion thing is messy and very expensive.
I've been wanting one of those frosted platters so I can put lights to it. Not going to happen in my lifetime.:no:

So I tried the dryer sheet under the rubber mat trick and guess what??? No static when flipping the last three LP's. How weird is that??

I love my acrylic outer platter for my Thorens. Not a platter mat, an entire outer platter.

I received my acrylic platter mat a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that well for me. It's thinner than my rubber mat, which throws off my VTA. The mat also slips on my platter. I taped it down though. Next, my LP's slip on the mat (even with a record weight) especially when trying to clean a LP. All of this headache for no noticeable sound improvement.

I've since switched back to my stock mat. It's not as pretty, but overall it works much better.

I ended up ordering the same mat for my Thorens. I don't have much time with it yet, but so far I have to say I really like it. I'll be doing some more A/B comparisons later, using a cork mat and the stock Thorens as test fodder.

I made a DIY mat out of acrylic for my Thorens TD-160. Didn't like the sound that much. It was a bit dark & thin sounding. Using a Technics SL-B3 rubber mat turned upside-down. This is the best sounding mat. I've tried many DIY mats.
I'm confused by your comment. The darker the better because you then begin to separate the instruments. I'm very surprised the sound was thin, because acrylic usually brings out the low and mid better.

I didn't want to pay $200 or whatever for the Oracle acrylic mat for my Alex without some indication that it would make a serious difference. I could not find a good 3mm x 289 acrylic mat that fits inside the lip of the aluminum platter. I asked an eBay vendor to modify his larger mats for Oracle/Linn. He was kind enough to do so.

I bought two. One was a nice improvement for my Linn Basik. I brought out more detail and life. On the Alexandria, I did not notice much advantage over the Groove Isolator. I haven't tried the dryer sheet, though.
Here is a link to the mat. I'm not affiliated in any way. I just thought he was a good guy to take the time & trouble to help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-ACRYL...861660?hash=item4b16ab235c:g:cE0AAOSwImRYl1dD

From the depths.

I'll add here, don't use spray 77 on acrylic and aluminum. it's meant for thin flexible materials, and unless the 2 surfaces are very flush, it will pop most of the bond. If you must use spray, use 90, as it's notbaly thicker and a stronger bond.

I'd use 3m VHB. totally removable from both the aluminum and acrylic, will bridge the gaps between, and will withstand and absorb vibration. Make sure to get the clear red backed tape, not the foam version. FWIW the closest thing to the tape used on older Garrards i've found is http://www.supertape.co.uk/industrial-tape/dubbelzijdige+weefseltape

I'm confused by your comment. The darker the better because you then begin to separate the instruments. I'm very surprised the sound was thin, because acrylic usually brings out the low and mid better.

Dark as in "Dull" sounding, is what I meant to say. Now using a DIY leather mat I made which sounds the best!

What kind of leather did you use?

My cousin had a leather coat that she didn't want anymore. I used the back of the coat, no seems. I glued the leather on top of a piece of thin rubber foam (craft sheet). I don't know really what kind of hide it is. The leather makes a very natural sounding platter mat. I've tried all kinds of materials and the leather is the best. Deer hide is suppose to really sound nice.

As long as the platter mat isn't made of felt, I don't think the choice of material matters very much.

Dark as in "Dull" sounding, is what I meant to say. Now using a DIY leather mat I made which sounds the best!
Actually you have the wrong adjective per the best source today "Stereophile": dark A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency. Compare "light."
dead: dull lifeless sound

Back
Top Bottom