Thoughts on AR3's...

JosphMerrick

There's an auction going on where there is a console that contains AR3's and a Dual 1009 turntable. I'm considering bidding on it to throw my tubes and preamp into it, so I can retire the music stand they're on and have everything contained in the console. I've never heard AR3's, so I'm wondering how'd they do being part of a console? I've heard good things about the Dual 1009, but my concern is since the speakers are stuck in the console you won't be able to do anything about the placement. Also, if I'm not a fan of the speakers and they're stuck in a big console it may be a bit harder to punt them off to someone. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds interesting. I have two pairs of 3's. I just finished restoring my 2nd set a couple months ago. They now sound incredible, BUT, they needed work, and most likely the 3's in the console will too.
The benefit of them being in the console all these years, is the cabs may be virtually mint, and possibly just have a pine finish.
They will need to be removed and inspected. The pots are notorious for corrosion, blocking the signal to the mids and tweeters resulting in no sound from them.
There's many threads discussing pot cleaning. Another problem is the mids dome suspension material has petrified, resulting in reticent output. The good news, Roy C., co-author of the AR3a restoration guide on the classicspeakerssite, can rebuild them, bringing them back to near new performance, and is also now able to do the same with the tweeters, though they are usually not as bad as the mids output.

Here's a couple thread links just to give you an idea of what you could be in for. These speakers are well worth the effort, are iconic, collectable and historic.

Glenn

My first pair-early circa 1960.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....maybe-the-best-end-of-year-score-pics.564520/

My second pair.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-paper-stop-yields-a-pair-of-ar3s.735482/

I didn't realize the AR3's would have cabinets in the console. That's awesome and I will for sure bid on them now. It's up to $125 right now with about 5 hours left. I appreciate your response, Glenn. I figured they'd need work, but I always expect it when dealing with vintage gear.

GD 70 is spot on and his restoration threads are the guide to follow.

I had a lovely set I fully restored and had them for several years. My critique of them is a lot of the time they sound average. But when the recording and amplification was right they are magic.
For live recordings if they were up to scratch they were some of the best speakers at putting you in the front row I have heard. Scary good imaging etc.
But I sold mine and replaced them with some vintage British three ways that sound great more often.
3's are something everyone should experience at some point though and I still love vintage AR speakers.

Restoring the mids on these is key. Makes a HUGE improvement in their sound. I feel these sound great all the time now.

So the console went for about $600. I decided to pass and take a chance on the speakers in the pictures. Everything is included, including an Elac Miraphon XM110A and a weird portable Sanyo solid state system with a turntable, cassette player, and speakers. The speakers couldn't be identified, but they look promising for only $80. Could be a mistake, but I guess I shall see on Saturday.

IMG_2166.PNG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG

Glenn, saw that thread you posted about the mids and it makes sense. If I get another pair some day i will do that. The 5's are now on my list too. :biggrin:

Glenn, saw that thread you posted about the mids and it makes sense. If I get another pair some day i will do that. The 5's are now on my list too. :biggrin:
The Fives are great speakers and are very close to the 3's performance.

So the console went for about $600. I decided to pass and take a chance on the speakers in the pictures. Everything is included, including an Elac Miraphon XM110A and a weird portable Sanyo solid state system with a turntable, cassette player, and speakers. The speakers couldn't be identified, but they look promising for only $80. Could be a mistake, but I guess I shall see on Saturday.

View attachment 933109 View attachment 933107 View attachment 933108
That's a deal! Those cabs are interesting, especially the grills, which look like the Saran used on AR3's. Wondering what the smaller speaker is as well. All have the same finish, maybe a custom system?

That's a deal! Those cabs are interesting, especially the grills, which look like the Saran used on AR3's. Wondering what the smaller speaker is as well. All have the same finish, maybe a custom system?
The smaller speaker is actually where the TT is housed, I think. I pick them up tomorrow. Yeah, I really don't know. I searched for a couple hours last night, everything from Altecs to Utah's to Lafayettes and nothing. Saw a lot that look similar like JBL's, but not in the rectangular cab. The TT is circa 1956, I believe, so I'm guessing they're around that time period.

The smaller speaker is actually where the TT is housed, I think. I pick them up tomorrow. Yeah, I really don't know. I searched for a couple hours last night, everything from Altecs to Utah's to Lafayettes and nothing. Saw a lot that look similar like JBL's, but not in the rectangular cab. The TT is circa 1956, I believe, so I'm guessing they're around that time period.
Sooooooooo, we need an update!

Sorry, I replied to the thread which addressed those speakers specifically and not the console. I did see the AR3's. They were unstained and in mint condition, but the console did go for $540. Here's what I found in my $80 purchase, which included many other components. Thanks for the opinions and help.

IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG

those are 2 way woofers it seems with a different color woofer cone. so what else did you pull in?

Elac Miraphon XM110A Turntable, Sanyo G-2615N solid-state music center, Sony CD player CDP-CE 375, Sherwood Receiver RX-4109, Sony Cassette TC-134SD. Nothing too special. The TT is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom