Thoughts on AudioSource EQ-ONE

ethanmullins

Yep. This is the same Equalizer that Matthew Broderick was tinkering with in the beginning of Ferris bueller's day off. I've wanted one since I was 9, and just now recently got one off ebay (under $50 including shipping, not bad :D). From what I can tell, it was release in 1982 and in production until 1985 with it's original selling price being $430.00 (about $961.75 with inflation). Does anybody know anything else about this thing? Does anybody else have one? I'm also curious if I can just use a regular condenser microphone with the pink noise generator. Even If I don't end up using it as an EQ all the time, I'll keep it in my setup just so I can watch the lights on the spectrum analyzer dance around. :D

P.S. - This is also my first post. I've been lurking for quite awhile, and I'm really liking AudioKarma community.

Attachments

• 101_0266.jpg
    101_0266.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 101_0269.jpg
    101_0269.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 101_0233.jpg
    101_0233.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 418
  • 101_0263.jpg
    101_0263.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 258
I had one of those. I sold it a while back, I never really used it. Looked really cool, the spectrum analyzer is really about 90 LEDs!

Also, welcome to AK!

I don't know about the model you have, but I've got their EQ Eight and love it. Use it daily in my main system.. yep.. love the dancing lights on mine too... I've got an Amp Two in the garage. Audiosource makes some really great stuff..

And welcome to AK!

Think you're a little mixed up on this one. The EQ in Ferris Bueller is an Audio Control C-101(the big buck one). Audio Source is more of a budget brand, but still pretty good. I have a C-101 series III in my main music system, purchased new in 99' for about $450. I also have an Audio Source EQ-101 in the the other room purchased new a few years ago for about $80. Hate to burst your bubble, but guess the wrong guy read your post. I'd still keep an eye out for a C-101(if anyone's willing to part with one), if only for the switchable 3rd order 18db/octave sub-sonic filter. Does a steller job eliminating turntable feed back problems.

Think you're a little mixed up on this one. The EQ in Ferris Bueller is an Audio Control C-101(the big buck one). Audio Source is more of a budget brand, but still pretty good. I have a C-101 series III in my main music system, purchased new in 99' for about $450. I also have an Audio Source EQ-101 in the the other room purchased new a few years ago for about $80. Hate to burst your bubble, but guess the wrong guy read your post. I'd still keep an eye out for a C-101(if anyone's willing to part with one), if only for the switchable 3rd order 18db/octave sub-sonic filter. Does a steller job eliminating turntable feed back problems.

No bubble bursting necessary :) I'm positive that the EQ in Ferris Bueller's day off was an AudioSource EQ-One. The EQ-One and the C-101 look very similar. The way I found out was by pausing the movie during a short 2 second duration when it's on screen. So far this has been the only piece of audio equipment that I've obsessed over. I wanted it mainly for the sentimental value, If it can actually contribute positively to the sound of my music, that's just a nice bonus :music:
The EQ-One also has a subsonic filter, no idea how good it is, I'll have to give it a try with a turntable sometime. I attached the screenshots I took while I was trying to hunt this thing down on the internet.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2009-10-02-15h35m36s93.jpg
    vlcsnap-2009-10-02-15h35m36s93.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 385
  • vlcsnap-2009-10-02-15h37m03s153.png
    vlcsnap-2009-10-02-15h37m03s153.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 336
Yeah.. looking at the two, I'd say no doubt an EQ-1.. hard to miss the glowing red power button with the offset light on it too that's AudioSources kind of trade mark..

No bubble bursting necessary :) I'm positive that the EQ in Ferris Bueller's day off was an AudioSource EQ-One. The EQ-One and the C-101 look very similar. The way I found out was by pausing the movie during a short 2 second duration when it's on screen. So far this has been the only piece of audio equipment that I've obsessed over. I wanted it mainly for the sentimental value, If it can actually contribute positively to the sound of my music, that's just a nice bonus :music:
The EQ-One also has a subsonic filter, no idea how good it is, I'll have to give it a try with a turntable sometime. I attached the screenshots I took while I was trying to hunt this thing down on the internet.
Well, when your right, your right. And you got it for less than $50 buck's. Way to go.

To use the spectrum analyzer aspect, you'll need a flat response mic. If the mic boosts any frequency, well you can see how that won't work! I used to use an AKG, with a 3 position --/ \ switch. But if your room doesn't change, it doesn't serve much purpose! As a speaker repair guy, I think everyone should have an EQ!! Keeps me busy replacing voice coils!!

copy of manual for eq 1

I know this thread is very old, but i am looking for a manual for an audiosource eq one.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

thanks

I know this thread is very old, but i am looking for a manual for an audiosource eq one.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

thanks

I just happen to be looking for it myself and found it on AudioSource's website. It's in a PDF file and looks like an image of a copy - not the greatest but will do.

Here is the link:
http://www.audiosource.net/literature.php Click on Manuals - Electronics - EQOne.pdf

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Happy holidays.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

I just happen to be looking for it myself and found it on AudioSource's website. It's in a PDF file and looks like an image of a copy - not the greatest but will do.

Here is the link:
http://www.audiosource.net/literature.php Click on Manuals - Electronics - EQOne.pdf

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Happy holidays.

Well, I guess I am not worthy of obtaining a manual. When I select 'manuals' on the audiosource site, it says I don't have permission.

I think I'll try it from another computer.

I was looking at the manual at the aforementioned site and thought it looked a little rough. It certainly wasn't very level. I didn't try to print it. It may be fine...

I'd be happy to try a scan of my original. :dunno: Don't expect immediate results because of the holidays but if you send me your email address you can see if I did any better with it!

Brian

I love that movie, with it's period correct Maxell Cr02 90 minut tape for the doorbell message, Bob Carver gear and more. The movie screams 80's excess, best years of my life, the 90's weren't bad either. From Y2K on, it's been a suck fest. Where is Ferris when we need him most, to make this world a better place? When I'm down I watch the movie and feel better after. When life sucks you have to laugh it off and smile.

I have the Audiosource EQ-Eleven, my friend has an EQ One. As with all EQ's less is better. Set your room up correctly, tweak speaker positions and the contents as much as possible. Use the EQ to try and take away the bad elements remaining, don't add to the good frequencies to drown out the bad, it ends up sounding like a mess. When setting an EQ less is more. Don't over boost, as strained power amps driven to clipping burn speaker voice coils, tear the spiders and edges. The EQ Eleven IMo is as good as the EQ One, without the bigger display and overall RU height., It is a single RU high, with a better display and no pink noise generator or mike input. Pink noise is easy to find, a good SPL meter is all you need use it to set the rooms. Nodes and tough spots are taken care of mostly by placement, not EQ adjustments, which is why speakers need to be set to optimum, for the primary listening position, same with the contents of the room, where permissible.

My EQ Eleven uses LED lamps for all 20 sliders, each under a round cap. The LED's slide in each EQ frequency 'slider' full length from front, no soldering, no cutting. Place the anode and cathode in the correct positions, (one is shorter) following the LED's positions installed from factory. Backwards they don't light. I keep all 20 frequency adjust sliders MCIntosh Green/Blue, Marantz blue, sometimes I mix and match, different bass, mid and treble. I wish all front control LED's were that easy to change. The possible combinations are nearly endless. Currently we're using Green LED's for the control buttons function, and Blue for Frequencies, to match the McIntosh gear. You can change them to match any gear, color and combination that suits you. The display LED's are green yellow and red, They are good colors for that use.

Hi,

Are you guys still following/replying to this post ?

My question is: Which is better and Why ? An audiosource EQ one or a BSR EQ-3000 Equalizer

The BSR seems to have lower Distortion and higher Signal to noise ratio, but is the difference audible ?

I have both and trying to decide which to keep and which to sell.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom