Thoughts on JVC 5340's

dnpainting

Today, I was on my way back from post office and caught a glimps of some speakers at a garage sale. At first I was thinking Altec as the part that had caught my eye were the horns (only saw for a second). I flipped a bitch and had a look. JVC 5340's, asking 25 for the pair and got them for 20. Any thoughts on these? They are in my truck and I'm away from home but will post pics when I get back. Thanks for any replies

Thought number 1: The cabinets look solid and well made. Number 2: Is the horn metal or plastic? It looks like textured metal. Number 3: The crossovers look mundane. A bunch of stacked caps, a single resistor and a smallish, iron-core inductor. Not necessarily a bad thing, but fairly simple. Number 4: A lot of drivers, hopefully not from the Sansui "boom and blat" school of speaker-building. Number 5: I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Number 6: For twenty bucks, you got a great deal. The boxes alone are worth more.

Thought number 1: The cabinets look solid and well made. Number 2: Is the horn metal or plastic? It looks like textured metal. Number 3: The crossovers look mundane. A bunch of stacked caps, a single resistor and a smallish, iron-core inductor. Not necessarily a bad thing, but fairly simple. Number 4: A lot of drivers, hopefully not from the Sansui "boom and blat" school of speaker-building. Number 5: I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Number 6: For twenty bucks, you got a great deal. The boxes alone are worth more.

Just got in and haven't had time to really have a look. Took a couple of quick pics. they need a good cleaning, cabinets are not in bad shape. The woofers don't rub. The crossovers have separate hookups for Hi's, mids and lows. I take it a "Squawker" is the mids. Horn is plastic! I'm not getting my hopes up at all. My friend in Arizona has some White Van speakers and I've been looking around for speakers for him. These may just be good for him.

Anyways, took a chance and will give a test tomorrow after I get them cleaned up and hook a meter to them. More pics of the inside and drivers tomorrow.

Thanks

Attachments

• JVC 5340 001.jpg
    JVC 5340 001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 103
  • JVC 5340 002.jpg
    JVC 5340 002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 84
  • JVC 5340 003.jpg
    JVC 5340 003.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 80
There is a pair on the bay that are (Nivico) JVC HE 5340's. Look Identical to these except the ones I have just say JVC HE 5340 (No Nivico) and much cleaner. Is there a difference?

Opened One Up

Here are some pics of the Horn, woofer and XO. The horn I thought was plastic, it is actually half and half. The outside 2 sections are aluminum and the dividers are plastic. Metered the drivers and all test good. I didn't want to hook to an amp yet so I Hooked up an Ipod and heard music, very low volume but all drivers work. I need to completely disassemble to clean all the rotaries as they cut out everytime you touch them before I hook up an amp.

Woofers tested at: 7.2ohm (8ohm) and the Horn at 14.7ohm (16ohm).

Whats with all the caps on the XO's, Sealy, you weren't kidding.

Attachments

• JVC 5340 001.jpg
    JVC 5340 001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 154
  • JVC 5340 002.jpg
    JVC 5340 002.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89
  • JVC 5340 003.jpg
    JVC 5340 003.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 83
  • JVC 5340 004.jpg
    JVC 5340 004.jpg