Thoughts on Pioneer CS-06 speakers

car421

Currently running a pair of CS-88A's that I am happy with and have come across a pair of CS-06's. They look great and visually would be a great complement to my 88A's. Seller won't go below 100/pair. I have offered 75 but not sure if that is too much.

I really like the vintage Pioneer components.
Cross posted in Speakers
Thoughts?

Off topic:
I see you are in Indian Trail.
I grew up in Matthews.
:beerchug:

Back to regular programming.

If those CS-06 speakers are omnidirectional, I'd avoid them. There might be a decent omnidirectional speaker out there, but I have not heard one.

Ah well there's 7 drivers in the 06. One 10" woofer pointing up in the top, then three 4" mids and three 2.5" tweeters in a circle about halfway down - mid, tweet, mid, tweet, mid, tweet as you go around horizontally. 60 watts with tone control mounted in the crossover in the base. Steel frame. No foam surrounds to rot. I have two pair of 05's with less drivers and only 40 watts but they sound okay just not a lot of bass. I put 'em up off the floor @ 14"-16" and 2' out from corners of a room and they do fill the space acoustically speaking. As for quality at the price the seller is asking you could do a lot worse. They start around $250 up here and only come up a couple times a year. I would grab 'em if I was you because you can always get your money back out of them. The 06's sound fantastic IMO but you won't know if you like 'em unless you try 'em for yourself. Pics of the 06
Pioneer CS-05 INSIDE.jpg
PIONEER CS-06 INTERNALS.jpg
PIONEER CS-05 RANGE POTENTIOMETER.jpg

Last edited:
Currently running a pair of CS-88A's that I am happy with and have come across a pair of CS-06's. They look great and visually would be a great complement to my 88A's. Seller won't go below 100/pair. I have offered 75 but not sure if that is too much.

I really like the vintage Pioneer components.
Cross posted in Speakers
Thoughts?
I have a pair of these CS-06's....They were a Little Weak on the Bass Side, so I removed the 10 inch woofer and replaced it with a JBL 10" Subwoofer (wow what a difference)....Cost me 200.00 dollars for the JBL's but well worth the upgrade...had to modify the mounting a little but it was not that bad to do...Ran these with a Pioneer SA_9100 Amp/Pre Amp....Unbelievable sound.....Good Luck

I have a pair of these CS-06's....They were a Little Weak on the Bass Side, so I removed the 10 inch woofer and replaced it with a JBL 10" Subwoofer (wow what a difference)....Cost me 200.00 dollars for the JBL's but well worth the upgrade...had to modify the mounting a little but it was not that bad to do...Ran these with a Pioneer SA_9100 Amp/Pre Amp....Unbelievable sound.....Good Luck

It may well be better than the original driver, but it's still a woofer...not a subwoofer. And given the age of this thread, I would guess the OP made his decision years ago.

I know this is an old post but, I am currently concidering purchasing 4 of these for $$$. Per rules I cannot say pricing but, they are the upper end of what has already been stated.

Thinking about using as surround speakers but, looking for input as to whether this would be overkill. Plan to restore the units... Especially the cabinets as they are so astheticly pleasing. I just hope they aren't MDF cabinets. Running Fluance for my upper, wides and back. Also using ESS large AMT's and ESS PS- 820' for left & right and a large AMT for my center. 11.2 system.

They have steel frames...no cabinet, at least not in the traditional sense. That said, MDF is an excellent material for speaker cabinets. Solid wood cabinets are quite uncommon, given problems with shrinking and expanding. Plywood was used in some older speakers, but also uncommon now. By far most common is MDF, and in cheaper speakers, particle board. Both of these are/were usually covered with wood or vinyl veneers (same for plywood).

As for use in a home theater system...I would say that their omnidirectional design may diffuse the sound in a way that might not be ideal. Then again, you might like this unique effect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom