thoughts on super tweeters

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by invaderzim, Oct 27, 2018.

1. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Sort of a sub for the HF. . If your speakers need it it can be beneficial. I added HF drivers into my cabs and it really brought out the tinkle in certain music much the same as a sub will in certain music. But if it isn't there in the music then you won't hear it.

Maybe one way to tell if your current speakers are lacking in certain frequencies is to get a calibrated mic and REW software and test it.

JoeESP9 and invaderzim like this.
  3. Aptone

Aptone AK Subscriber Subscriber

I really like the airiness that the stock supertweeters on my Dahlquist DQ-10 bring to the party. This is true even though like most men my hearing is declining at the upper range. It is interesting that the recommendation is to simply hook them up in parallel. With a 5 ohm rating, I wonder what that does to the impedance of the speaker system?

upload_2018-10-27_14-6-56.png

4. invaderzim

The airiness is what appealed to me.

The impedance would worry me though, especially with a tube amp. I hadn't thought about it but I don't think there is any way around ending up with much lower impedance.

Or would the lower impedance only apply at higher frequencies where the power is lower and not be as big of a deal?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  5. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

BigElCat likes this.
  6. Wes_in_VA

Wes_in_VA AK Subscriber Subscriber

And of course there’s the question of if your hearing is good enough to discern those frequencies

Bodyblue likes this.

7. Aptone

Aptone AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, that is the question. Hopefully someone smarter than us can weigh in.

8. CopperWizard

CopperWizard Well-Known Member

I tried a cheap ribbon tweeter on all of my setups with varying capacitors, it was awesome. Then I tried to make it a dipole, r.I.p. Mr tweeter. Gordon W. has a good post somewhere (hatu) about the piezo working well if implemented right.

9. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Eh ... I plug mine in when I want to annoy the dog ... ;-}

I do have a pair of the original Radio Shack Super Tweeters that are nice. Metal horns and built in crossovers to get around any impedance issues. T

[​IMG]

hey collected dust for ages, but I did eventually resurrect one for the Eico amp used on my center channel - added some top to a Bose video speaker that needed a bit more punch.

10. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Speakers from the 60's had natural roll offs to simulate the live. concert experience that was un amplified and to mask the distortions of recordings, LP's , and tape hiss. By the 80's with the popularity of electronic instruments full range performance was required and great strides were made in tweeter development. I use super tweeters as my original tweeters start falling off at 12 kHz, Which was very common at the time. Todays speakers of sufficient quality can be 2 way or three way and easily extend beyond 18,000 HZ. with very low distortion that couldn't be produced back in the early 70's, until Macs line arrays came along. Its just been the last 10 years or so that JBL could build a big driver with less than 2 % distortion and woofers with less than 5% distortion. There have been a lot of improvements since the turn of the century, so why not take advantage of it. I know its the cost. I wish you luck and the patience to do a lot of research. Knowing your dynamic range requirements is the first parameter.

motorstereo likes this.
  11. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

My main speakers in the media rm incorporate one of the most famous. Now some may argue that this is actually a tweeter, and they would be right, but as it's response goes out to 45khz I would say it's both, it is one "super" tweeter.

948300-infinity-emit-k-tweeter.jpg

CopperWizard likes this.

12. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Here you go.

Screenshot_20181027-225612.png

slimecity likes this.
  13. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Perhaps get your hearing tested before lashing out on 'super-tweeters'?

63pontiacgp, OnTheBlitz and Bodyblue like this.
  14. invaderzim

that's why the $299 a pair price was appealing on this one

They say free shipping both ways so I guess I could get these and run some tones with them as a hearing test :)

2ndtimelucky likes this.
  15. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use them on my bedroom system and like them.

16. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Could a super tweeter help hear the frequencies commonly lost as we get older? Or would a pair of $7k hearing aids work better?

jeb98, Bodyblue and invaderzim like this.

17. invaderzim

I know my hearing for the frequency that my wife's voice is at is fading. :angel:

18. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

The HPM-200 tweeter/supertweeter is actually a peizo.
    Excellent highs
    [​IMG]

19. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I love the shimmer of cymbals and these give me that and more. They're B&G Neo 3 planars with open backs which allow front and rear radiation. Incredibly smooth and detailed when so many I find are too hot and edgy. Used a 1.5uF cap on it's + terminal and they're parasitically driven from the speaker terminals.

P1010006.jpg

bigx5murf and invaderzim like this.
  20. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I use the Realistic supers facing to the rear to balance the front firing compression horn tweeters in these OB's.

P1010010.jpg

invaderzim likes this.