Thoughts on the PS Audio Sprout

whyaskit

music.
Update below...

The following are a few thoughts on the PS Audio Sprout. I've had it since the 29th of June.

Initial impressions are simply that I really like this amp. Why, I'm sure you're asking? It is incredibly convenient to use and it sounds excellent, with a little care that is.

I've had the Sprout for almost three weeks. I got it from the Massdrop deal and decided it was worth the outlay of $500 for an all-in-one solution that would allow for me to hook up my MacBook, turntable and allow for Bluetooth of various iPhone/iPads that are about. My daughters both are big fans of Bluetooth and it is a nice way for them to enjoy music through the main system with minimal fuss. It has phono (vinyl), usb and a digital coaxial input which make it perfect for my needs. It also has an analog input available.

Convenient, yes, I did, however, have one fairly serious concern that should be noted. One that was brought to light in the Stereophile measurements section of the recent review they did. The Sprout has a peak in the response curve centered at 67 Hz with a sharp drop off below. I decided to try the Sprout and ignore the bass response for several reasons. I few I'll list, 1- my main speakers are the Spendor S5e. They are rated only to 52 Hz. My Focal 706S are rated to 55 Hz. I enjoy the bass by both of these speakers and they do not really get much lower. 2- There is an analog output the I queried PS Audio about and the response was that they anticipated its use as a way to connect a subwoofer. So, it should have a flat response. That's said, 3- I figured it would work well as a preamp if needed or as a bedroom system where bass is not needed.

Sound. Clear, crisp, clean. From 100 Hz up that is. I love how my MacBook sounds playing my apple lossless files, spotify and random MP3 files. Clear smooth sound that does justice to rock, classical and pop. This USB input bests my DACmagic. The coaxial input is no better or worse from the Cambridge Audio when compared against each other, both are nice but different. I do miss the DAC Magic's ability to change filters. The vinyl input works great as well. My Rega sounded very good, lively is a great way to describe the sound. I think it is even a little better than the Cambridge Audio phono preamp I have used as my previous reference. As for Bluetooth. I've not used it with high resolution files, but it worked great. For me, midrange and highs are where music lives. The Sprout gives music life.

Bass, however, is music's foundation. And this is where things get a little touchy. When I was listening to EDM (electronic dance music) I would noticed the boost on certain beats and when the the sound dropped in frequency, it would disappear. Bits of music I knew where there, gone. The bass boost was only noticed when that frequency was hit. Because it is such a narrow peak, that boost really didn't call undue attention. I only heard the peak with two songs over the past several weeks. The drop off is not as noticeable given the type of speakers I use and their lack of low bass. The bass can get a loose sounding at higher volumes.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, The Chain has a bass line in the middle of the song that I've heard over countless systems and speakers. If it sounds good, then I feel good about the bass. Anomalies aside. It sounded good. So far, no subwoofer is needed. Not that I probably won't continue to experiment in the future.

The Sprout is also dependent on speakers. It loved it with the NHT 1.1 and Focal Chorus 706s. But didn't like my Spendor speakers paired with the Sprout as well. The Focals have a higher sensitivity at 90 db than the Spendor (87 db) so that could have something to do with it. But that doesn't explain the NHT and its lower sensitivity. (To be fair, the Spendors love my tube amp, while the Focal can just sound messy. At this level, interaction is a big part of how good sound is or isn't)

Anyway, sorry this is long. Lots to say. I love the machine. It plays music beautifully. So far I'm happy I took a chance. Great sound, wonderfully convenient and in a small package. I plan on running as a pre to my tube amp next. Thanks for reading.

Other speakers used
Fostex kanspea
ADS L200
Paradigm Mini Monitor
B&W DM 603 S3

Disc player
Sony DVP NS999 ES

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
If you get one, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Will do. I am considering the Sprout along with a TEAC or NAD unit as well. I will make a decision in the next couple weeks, probably after school starts.

I will also have to get some decent bookshelf type speakers if I go in this direction. I have owned the Paradigm Mini Monitors before, and heard the Focals which I really like.

I have a set of original paradigm mini monitors and I think they sounded pretty good powered by the Sprout. I only had them in for a day, so I did not listen a long time. But I liked what little I heard.

Ultimately,I settled on the Focals for now.

Last edited:
Update.

I've had the amplifier for a while now and have used it in several configurations.

1- As intended, an all in one integrated amplifier. Write up above. I will say that it is a fun amp to listen to, just a little harder than tubes.

2- As a preamp using the analog output to a tube amplifier then to the speakers. Beautiful sound, I really like this configuration. The bass roll of is not present in the analog output. Full sound!

Finally...

3- Running smaller bookshelf speakers off of the Sprouts internal amplifier. The rolled off response is great to protect the smaller speakers from possible damage that high volume and low frequencies can cause a 4.5" driver. Supplementing the lows by using the full range output of the analog output into a subwoofer.

3! This is what I'd hope to find when I purchased the Sprout. Small, good looking unit that could run a computer based system, turntable and sound good.

For specifics on what exactly is being used in this system, I have a thread in "members' systems" with all the model numbers and thoughts on this system. I am planning on keeping that thread going To chronical changes to this system.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=645344

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
800$ for a T-Amp?
:scratch2: this is probably the worst bang for the buck ever, and it's even rolled off..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun
800$ for a T-Amp?
vow this is probably the worst bang for the buck ever, and it's even rolled off..

A "T-amp" is a Class D amplifier based around a Tripatch chip, particularly referring to the TA2024-based amplifiers from Dayton Audio and Sonic Impact.

The Sprout is, like many 21st century amplifiers at a wide variety of price points, Class D, and powered by an Abletec module. If you're in the camp that believes Class D is inherently inferior, or only belongs in inexpensive products, I'll only note that the hi-fi world, consisting of both manufacturers and listeners, has consistently pulled away from this line of thinking in the last few years.

At $800, I agree that it doesn't seem to be an awesome value, but most people seem to be picking up their Sprouts at or under $500. At neither price point would I consider it, "the worst bang for the buck ever".

I didn't buy one (at $500, my concern was bass response, rather than price), but if you're at all interested in learning more about my rationale for defending Sprout, please see one of the following threads:

PS Audio "Sprout" Integrated...Any Good?

PS Audio's Sprout Kickstarter woos Millennials
Sprout Amps?
PS Audio Sprout Impressions

I don't think class D is inferior in SQ, but I think is cheap,
at least it could have Digital to Analog capabilities..

I have a Diy Abletec amp based on the module in the Sprout and I love it. I think it was $130 plus shipping and this with my Emotiva xda-1 sounds great.

800$ for a T-Amp?
:scratch2: this is probably the worst bang for the buck ever, and it's even rolled off..

This was my first thought as well when I first saw the Sprout. I had been following the TPA 3116 thread, had built one complete with some preamp functions (Alps pot, Glassware selector with 3 inputs), and thought that it might be fun to put together something like the Sprout on the cheap. Then I started adding up the costs of Bluetooth boards, dac boards, quality switches, various power sources, etc. I realized that I would spend a very substantial part of the Sprout's cost and would end up with a much larger package size with less functionality, along with slightly dubious quality parts and no warrantee. Now im not so sure that the Sprout isn't one of the better deals out there, at least at the +/- $500 price point!

I paid 500 plus got a 2 meter PS Audio power cord ($180 new).

I like it because it has two digital inputs and a phono board/input. It is a way to get everything thing I need in a small, good looking and sounding package.

Plus, I trust PS Audio as a company that has been in business for decades and makes some very high quality components. Not only that, but having a warranty is nice, especially for someone like me who usually buys used.

When it comes to questions of value. We all value things differently. For $500 the amount of pleasure I've gained, not including future listening for out weighs the $500 spent. I've spent a lot more for far less in return.

Thanks for the review on this. One question - are those analogue inputs on the back for RCA cables? Can't tell so much from the photo. Wondering if this thing could take a tuner or a seperate phono preamp.

Thanks for the review on this. One question - are those analogue inputs on the back for RCA cables? Can't tell so much from the photo. Wondering if this thing could take a tuner or a seperate phono preamp.

The RCA inputs are specifically for the onboard phono, but there's a 3.5mm TRS stereo input as well that's line level. You could make use of an adapter and run just about anything into that.

Back
Top Bottom