Thoughts on the Yamaha CR-600 receiver

ehegwer

I've got a line on a pretty mint yamaha CR-600 receiver, the price is a bit steep at just over $100.

I'm just starting out building a vintage system, and want to know if this is a worthwhile starter receiver, or if I should wait for something else. I'll connect it to some Small Advents, and am still looking for a decent TT.

Any people have any experience with this model? How does it sound?

I purchased a Yamaha 620 receiver on ebay recently and I like it a lot. Nice construction and fine sound. Controls feel good. It is a solid piece.

Tom

I believe I saw that same ad. The price to me seems on the high side. Have you checked eBay to see what they are selling for these days?

very nice smaller receiver.
Check completed listings on the auction site for value or try the Dollars and Sense forum. You could probably get the next up in line for similar bread.

Solid, well built units. I picked up a CR-800 last fall, and use it almost daily. Other than using Caig products on all the pots & switches, it hasn't needed a thing. Excellent tuner section. FWIW mine is in near mint condition and I paid the seller's Craigs List asking price of $60.

I picked up a really clean CR-600 for a friend's kitchen system, paid about $100. Not cheap but very much worth it.

FYI, the CR-600 and 800 are quite a bit nicer in many ways than the 620/820 so don't base 600 value on 620 prices. If your unit is clean and healthy it is a great piece to start building your vintage system around.

Someone has offered me a completely mint CR-420 here in the UK, but won't budge from £85. That's a bit expensive perhaps?

I'd buy this model for its very high output headphone amp primarily, but also to run speakers.

Back
Top Bottom