Thoughts on XRT-28 Speakers

Welcome to the world of the McIntosh line array. Not much else compares at anywhere near the same price - especially for what you paid!

. I fabricated the missing jumpers and hooked them up to the MC452. Holy crap! What amazing sound came forth! The music was accurate, powerful and expansive! Much like going to the MC452, I heard things that I haven't heard before. Especially things like brushes, vibes and the timbre and decay of notes to a level I had not heard before. After a couple hours I quickly switched to the Aerials, and while sound was great, it was compressed and limited compared to the 28's. I ended up turning it down because I was being overwhelmed by music. At similar dBs no other speaker has ever given me that sensation.

Congratulations and welcome to the McIntosh Big Line Array Speaker club.

One of the smaller groups here but growing.

So they were only playing one line of drivers. Lucky break and kudos for being quick to notice. Sometimes destiny drops things in your lap.

I figured you would love the line array XRT28 over the Aerial Acoustic . My wife is always telling me. I never heard this or that in that song until we got the McIntosh XR290 or Previous XRT20 and 19 speakers. She mentioned brushes on a drum on Sunday. . Sometimes it is an instrument. Other times it is vocals or another singer in harmony.

When you think you have heard it all with the XRT28, find yourself an MEN220 or MX150 or 151 and set up Room Perfect . The stuff hidden in bad room acoustics take you to an even higher level. The Global mode is great but the focus mode is the most revealing. It will also balance that open doorway bass suck out. In the meantime a MQ equalizer will help.

Last edited:
I saw from the manual that the XRT28 us s the gold plated bus bar biamp/triamp jumpers. You should see if McIntosh still has them and whether common to current models. Chances are a standard sourced part in stock.

I was also thinking the three other potential buyers who heard those with only a mids playing are out perpetuating the McIntosh speakers suck myth only hearing 300Hz to 2000 Hz. But definitely your win.

Congratulations and welcome to the McIntosh Big Line Array Speaker club.

One of the smaller groups here but growing.

So they were only playing one line of drivers. Lucky break and kudos for being quick to notice. Sometimes destiny drops things in your lap.

I figured you would love the line array XRT28 over the Aerial Acoustic . My wife is always telling me. I never heard this or that in that song until we got the McIntosh XR290 or Previous XRT20 and 19 speakers. She mentioned brushes on a drum on Sunday. . Sometimes it is an instrument. Other times it is vocals or another singer in harmony.

When you think you have heard it all with the XRT28, find yourself an MEN220 or MX150 or 151 and set up Room Perfect . The stuff hidden in bad room acoustics take you to an even higher level. The Global mode is great but the focus mode is the most revealing. It will also balance that open doorway bass suck out. In the meantime a MQ equalizer will help.

Thanks Velocity! Without the prodding of those on the forum, especially you, I would have walked away because of the other large purchase this week. However the "toy fund" will eventually regenerate, but these are mine forever! Again last night I was up way too late just sitting there listening. It is like Christmas morning, I think of another favorite album and jump up to seek it out and play it because of some favorite remembered lick or passage that I think will sound awesome! And it does! I am finding the the Hammond B3, vibes and well recorded vocals sound especially good! one thing for sure I am seeing the PG lights twinkle on the MC452 for the first time. Not often, just when I am being excessive with Telarc recorded classical, but I never got there with the Aerials. Just more of the fun. It is nice not to have to worry about inadvertently taking out a bank of those 38 drivers per speaker!
Wow a used MEN 220 is as expensive as a used MX-151. The current speaker placement is temporary and definitely not ideal, but I am pondering the opportunity to be creative, as I can run speaker wire from the built in unit into the basement and up any wall. Now you have me looking for the next piece of equipment!! Sheesh. :deal: I touched up the bases and they look terrific! Thanks again!

Thanks Velocity! Without the prodding of those on the forum, especially you, I would have walked away because of the other large purchase this week. However the "toy fund" will eventually regenerate, but these are mine forever! Again last night I was up way too late just sitting there listening. It is like Christmas morning, I think of another favorite album and jump up to seek it out and play it because of some favorite remembered lick or passage that I think will sound awesome! And it does! I am finding the the Hammond B3, vibes and well recorded vocals sound especially good! one thing for sure I am seeing the PG lights twinkle on the MC452 for the first time. Not often, just when I am being excessive with Telarc recorded classical, but I never got there with the Aerials. Just more of the fun. It is nice not to have to worry about inadvertently taking out a bank of those 38 drivers per speaker!
Wow a used MEN 220 is as expensive as a used MX-151. The current speaker placement is temporary and definitely not ideal, but I am pondering the opportunity to be creative, as I can run speaker wire from the built in unit into the basement and up any wall. Now you have me looking for the next piece of equipment!! Sheesh. :deal: I touched up the bases and they look terrific! Thanks again!
JosephH,
The Hammond B3s do sound incredible and stand out on the line arrays. As does any accoustic string instrument. Voices, horns brass, drums...... the room perfect makes double bass one of my favorites by cleaning up room interactions masked by bass accoustics uncorrected . The line array overcomes most other interactions quite well when unaided by DSP. Quite frankly more than enough for 90 percent of listeners untill you hear even more and better with Room Perfect. After you hear the difference unfortunately, you can’t unhear it and it becomes super addictive until you get a bad source. It is then less forgiving since a bad mix is then terrible. But this is usually quickly fixed if using streaming sources.

I agree Christmas comes everyday you have time to listen even if you plan 15 minutes that turn into four hours.

It is fun to find someone else to share my enthusiasm for McIntosh Line Arrays and even better to hear your excitement in discovery. .

The XRT28 manual recommends using a Real Time Analyzer and professional for placement which was surprising to read. If you have a long wall, Roger Russell recommends placing them on that wall. My recommendation would get a RTA app for iphone or tablet and a blue icecicle and camera connection kit for USB and do 1/6 octave plots to optimize placement If you have placement flexibility the response of speakers at listening position can be optimized. Both with speaker placement and how they couple or by moving your listening position for bass wavelength modes.

Last edited:
Wow such a deal, don't you feel Quilty getting all that great equipment at that price. You basically robbed a bank. How much money did you save, 10, 15 or more Thousands of dollars? Now if you want to sell your 452 so you can get a pair of 1201 or 1.2K amps just drop me a note.

Wow such a deal, don't you feel Quilty getting all that great equipment at that price. You basically robbed a bank. How much money did you save, 10, 15 or more ThousaNope, not luckynds of dollars? Now if you want to sell your 452 so you can get a pair of 1201 or 1.2K amps just drop me a note.

Nope, I don't feel guilty, just very fortunate and lucky! Many thanks for your sage advice as well. There are several members I always look to for their opinions on all things McIntosh, you are one of them, as well as several others on this thread. I am really happy that I did not let this opportunity pass.
So Twiiii, are you offering an even trade??? :deal: lol

I got the MX-136 up and running last night. I really wish it have HDMI audio inputs too. For now I will run the video directly to my 4k TV and the audio will have to go via analog RCA cables. Oppo has throttled the digital outputs except for HDMI due to copyright protection. Such crap. The analog inputs allow me to listen in "Pure Audio" 2 channel stereo mode and it sounds great! It seems to be a sonic upgrade from the MX-132, but it likely isn't a large difference. Hopefully I will have a chance to finish the owner's manual tonight.

I got the MX-136 up and running last night. I really wish it have HDMI audio inputs too. For now I will run the video directly to my 4k TV and the audio will have to go via analog RCA cables. Oppo has throttled the digital outputs except for HDMI due to copyright protection. Such crap. The analog inputs allow me to listen in "Pure Audio" 2 channel stereo mode and it sounds great! It seems to be a sonic upgrade from the MX-132, but it likely isn't a large difference. Hopefully I will have a chance to finish the owner's manual tonight.
You can by HDMI audio splitters that strip off the digital and send out to Toslink from China that preserves encoding . I have one. Or see if your TV sends out an optical digital signal problem is TV usually only splits off digital two channel not multichannel. I have a box I used to use before the MX150 with my MAC-3. They are less than 50 bucks on Amazon or other outlets.

Last edited:
So very happy for you, JosephH!!!!

Don't listen to Velocityboat or damacman unless you're fully prepared to enter a new realm of great sound. They provoked and prodded me into the single greatest leap in my search for perfect sound.

Nary a regret here in Ky, I'll tell ya that.

Great score!!

Don't listen to Velocityboat or damacman unless you're fully prepared to enter a new realm of great sound. They provoked and prodded me into the single greatest leap in my search for perfect sound.

Great score!!
For the time being, it would appear that I am still the keeper of your MC7300 . . . :)

If you are going to time align your line arrays, you realize you will have to bend the line array of tweeters and mids in an arc so all the sound from the drivers arrive at the same time at only one location. . As Don Davis use to say you either get the alignment very close or you don't worry about it. Because of the intimacy of a line array the anomalies are very narrow and there fore the ear/brain can integrate the sound into an acceptable listening experience with the driver centers placed very close together. But normally there are so many issues with recordings using so many mics and tampering with mixes and tone controls time alignment only reveals errors. I read some where once upon a time room perfect could correct for incorrect arrival times, but I can't swear to it. It was supposed to be able to correct a Klipsch Corner Horn, and that would be quite a job. Thats why when Roger and his assistant were developing the XRT 18 they designed special crossover using a computer program where the tweeters in the center received one spectrum and as you moved from the center the tweeters were filtered differently. They may have been using a form of Bessel array grouping drivers into sub groups in addition. The first Bessel array I heard used 25 Altec 5" speakers arranged in a square grid wired in a Bessel array configuration. Another box was just wired in series parallel. The Bessel array was louder with the same power, could handle more power and if you walked around the speaker with a sound level meter the speaker polar pattern was very close to the classic cardioid shape, with no lobbing to the rear which is typical of multi speakers units not wired properly or the drivers not placed correctly in relation to each other. We built some custom column speakers using Altec 409's, 403', or the famous 755 E in Bessel configurations for Catholic Churches where we could not use distributed ceiling systems or center clusters and before Renkus Heinz developed their line arrays that used digital processing to steer the emissions of the column to coverer a very broad horizontal area while making the vertical axis very narrow to keep emissions off floors, ceiling and back walls only covering the audience with about a 4 ft vertical emission . If you made the line arrays long enough you could place the speakers behind the mics with very little feed back issue because the mics were only close to a small fraction of the number speakers direct field. I know it is not logical, but I have seen it work many times. Harmon, owner of JBL, bought the company that did the initial development work in Germany.

Here is a good read on line array designs and some great graphs. He covers to a greater extent some concepts on Roger Russells site.

He covers woofers quite well and effects in a line source. His covering of near and farfield distancegraphs versus Frequency is quite telling also.

https://audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

I don't think you would have walked away.
We can be pretty persuasive when we want you to buy stuff:rolleyes:

I don't think you would have walked away.
We can be pretty persuasive when we want you to buy stuff:rolleyes:
We are our own greatest enablers!
The forum members who are so helpful made me realize that these opportunities don't come along very often.

Last edited:

Great score!!
Thank you sir! No regrets here either! Their sage advice has been very helpful and much appreciated!

Well good for you NJ, so glad you can tell me what I was thinking.....
The forum members who actually try to be helpful made me realize that these opportunities don't come along very often.
I thought you were getting very good advice.
Obviously no one can make you do that which you do not want to. I thought the face imparted that that was a joke. Sorry you took me seriously:dunno:. Enjoy your new speakers:bye:

Back
Top Bottom