Thoughts on XRT-28 Speakers

I thought you were getting very good advice.
Obviously no one can make you do that which you do not want to. I thought the face imparted that that was a joke. Sorry you took me seriously:dunno:. Enjoy your new speakers:bye:

Oh crap, my bad! Sorry about that! I agree about the great advice around here!

Hi guys,I just joined but have been a McIntosh user for 25 years,I own Roger Russell's hand built XR-290s in white ,most don't know that Rogers original design was a single 1 piece cabinet instead of upper & lower cabinets as well as the tweeter column being much closer to the mid column for a seamless blend ,the choice to turn the XR-290s into a 4 piece system wasn't Rogers decision ,anyhow I also own a mint pair of XRT-22s ,the XL-1 and XL-1W Bass Module ,I previously owned the XRT-28s but had to make room for Rogers 290s so I sold them,I owned the XRT-18s as well but gave them to my sister ,infact I just gave my eldest brother Rogers white XR-290s for Xmas as he has drooled over them for a decade but couldn't afford to buy a pair ,I sent him home with a McIntosh C-2200 preamp,an Emotiva XPR-2 600 watt amp & a Dynaco CDV-pro tube CD player so he would have a complete system ,later on once he's learned to hear music & is used to the high performance I'm gonna send him a pair of Mc-1201s to power Rogers XR-290s .

As to the thread topic of exactly where does the XRT-28 fit in the McIntosh line up from my experience the XRT-28s are a better speaker system than the 22s simply because they aren't as placement specific as the XRT-22s ,and XRT-20s for that matter,the single speaker box makes the XRT-28s sound very close to the XR-290s ,the OP should RUN to the bank to buy the 28s ,also to keep in mind is amplification ,unless you have the spare cash or already have extreme wattage amps don't feel as if it's a must to have 500 or 600 watt monoblocks, as long as you have high quality amplification of 300 watts with a soft clip feature a 300 watt amp will drive the XRT-22s,XRT-28s and XR-290s very well, especially if it's a Mac amp ,one of my all time favorite Mac amps is the 300 watt Mc-300 and it drove the XRT-28s extremely well ,with the XR-290s I just gave my brother for Christmas my Mc-252 drove the XR-290s just as well as my Mc-1201 monoblocks ,the XRT-28 is a superior speaker system over the XRT-22s in every way .

I'm going to post pics of my McIntosh systems and other systems as well as the White XR-290s that belonged to Roger Russell & as of 5 days ago belong to my brother .

Hey Panhead! Welcome! Yes please post pictures when ever you can. I did run to the bank and pick up those XRT-28s and I have not regretted it for a minute! They are such an impressive speaker. I had purchased a MC452 earlier in the year, and it is a great combination with the XRT28s. I could not be happier!

I love it ,the 28s driven by a beast like your 452 is all the amplification those beautiful line arrays will ever need ,at $3,300 for the 28s and the MX ,well you know the deal you got ,you could flip them into enough $ to score 290s if they come up but there's no real Sonic benifit of going any higher up the line array chain ,my XRT-22s sound every bit as sweet as the 290s I just gave to my brother ,I'm having extreme difficulty figuring out how to post pics here from my smart phone gallery ,no computer anymore ,but till then if anyone wants to see Roger Russell's White XR-290s in my home I have them on Audiogon where I'm member Bigjoe .

The reason I know your 452 is more than enough power is because when I 1st got the 290s from Roger I triamped them with McM1201s on bass ,Mc-500 & later on dual Mc-252s on mids ,on tweeters I ran a Mc-2102 and powered the amps from 3 dedicsded 20 amp lines , with 1,800 8ohm watts they sounded no better or worse than with my Mc-300 which isn't even an Autoformer amp ,I read your systems components & the only true Sonic improvement upgrade I can forsee for the next 20 years is adding a McIntosh tube preamp ,I've owned a C-20 for 26 years & a C-2200 for around 15 years and a C-2500 for a year ,the C-2200 is the hands down best preamp I've heard in my life ,If you can score a C-2200 your new line arrays wont have a bigger soundstage but it will be a more Fuller soundstage ,I don't like to use audiphile speak because it's too vague but I'm my experience the C-2200 adds a certian depth solid state lacks , a tube preamp on those 28s would really shine on all types of heavy rock ,funk & fusion jazz & your 28s are every bit the equal to the White XR-290s that graced my home for over a decade & are now turning my eldest brother into a full blown McIntosh Nutt ,you have reached the Pinnacle of McIntosh line arrays with your 28s ,I've auditioned the XR2ks and while they are a noticable step up from all previous line arrays the gains aren't large enough to justify a $50k used price tag ,your set for life ,I've had my 1st pair of XRT-22s over 20 years now & the 2nd pair since I built the & channel Mac rig 15 years ago & am still satisfied ,so much so that it wasn't hard at all giving Roger Russell's white 290s to my big brother for Xmas & your 28s will keep you in love with them for decades ,I'm excited by reading your posts because it makes me remember how I fell in love with my 1st line arrays & why very few of us ever feel the need to upgrade ,enjoy your gear my friend ,you now own 1 of the top 5 speaker systems ever built at any cost price point ,Merry Xmas .

I love it ,the 28s driven by a beast like your 452 is all the amplification those beautiful line arrays will ever need ,at $3,300 for the 28s and the MX ,well you know the deal you got ,you could flip them into enough $ to score 290s if they come up but there's no real Sonic benifit of going any higher up the line array chain ,my XRT-22s sound every bit as sweet as the 290s I just gave to my brother ,I'm having extreme difficulty figuring out how to post pics here from my smart phone gallery ,no computer anymore ,but till then if anyone wants to see Roger Russell's White XR-290s in my home I have them on Audiogon where I'm member Bigjoe .

The reason I know your 452 is more than enough power is because when I 1st got the 290s from Roger I triamped them with McM1201s on bass ,Mc-500 & later on dual Mc-252s on mids ,on tweeters I ran a Mc-2102 and powered the amps from 3 dedicsded 20 amp lines , with 1,800 8ohm watts they sounded no better or worse than with my Mc-300 which isn't even an Autoformer amp ,I read your systems components & the only true Sonic improvement upgrade I can forsee for the next 20 years is adding a McIntosh tube preamp ,I've owned a C-20 for 26 years & a C-2200 for around 15 years and a C-2500 for a year ,the C-2200 is the hands down best preamp I've heard in my life ,If you can score a C-2200 your new line arrays wont have a bigger soundstage but it will be a more Fuller soundstage ,I don't like to use audiphile speak because it's too vague but I'm my experience the C-2200 adds a certian depth solid state lacks , a tube preamp on those 28s would really shine on all types of heavy rock ,funk & fusion jazz & your 28s are every bit the equal to the White XR-290s that graced my home for over a decade & are now turning my eldest brother into a full blown McIntosh Nutt ,you have reached the Pinnacle of McIntosh line arrays with your 28s ,I've auditioned the XR2ks and while they are a noticable step up from all previous line arrays the gains aren't large enough to justify a $50k used price tag ,your set for life ,I've had my 1st pair of XRT-22s over 20 years now & the 2nd pair since I built the & channel Mac rig 15 years ago & am still satisfied ,so much so that it wasn't hard at all giving Roger Russell's white 290s to my big brother for Xmas & your 28s will keep you in love with them for decades ,I'm excited by reading your posts because it makes me remember how I fell in love with my 1st line arrays & why very few of us ever feel the need to upgrade ,enjoy your gear my friend ,you now own 1 of the top 5 speaker systems ever built at any cost price point ,Merry Xmas .
We have numerous RR line array owners here. I have XRT22s powered by MC2600s. Welcome!

I think I may not have explained well ,the XR-290s I have/just gave my brother for Xmas we're Roger Russell's personal speakers In white shown on his website & the original intended design for the XR-290s , funny how things work out because I'm in the process of closing a deal on a pair of XRT-28s as we speak ,I may end up having at least one pair & possibly both pairs of my XRT-22s for sale if the 28s do what I need in my 5 channel rig as fronts ,I gave my son a pair of LS-340s a few years back & may end up trading him a pair of my 22s just to have different fronts & rears ,if it's possible to post pics directly from a Samsung smart phone I will & join the McIntosh forums the proper way .

Have a super wonderfull Christmas my friend ,my Christmas has been the best of my adult life so far ,setting my big brother up with his 1st real HiFi of his life has been such fun ,I'm reliving all my 1st experiences & remembering exactly why I fell in love with McIntosh in the mid 60s .

I have XR290s, XRT20, and the XR19. What a great brother you are gifting the XR290s.

Were Rogers, home builts in a square cabinet? I suspect you had a chance to listen to the IDS-25 on picking up his 290s.

I use Room Perfect with my XR290s not as warm a sound but way more details revealed. I have found interconnect and speaker cable does add more clarity. I prefer bigger McIntosh mono amps. Though 300 WPC push them well.

So far the two biggest improvements have been the Room Perfect elimination of room modes then switching to an external PS Audio DirectStream DAC really improved soundstage depth and width, turning digital as nice as vinyl. I have some Isoaccoustics Gaia Titan Isolators on order to replace threaded floor gliders. So far every tweak has been another level of realism added.

Last edited:
I am glad you are Happy with your 290's. The pair of 290's AC got a few months ago went to an owner that already has a pair. He was going to have front and rear 290's, but I hear he hs now placed them side by side with the tweeters placed together of the adjoining pairs. Wonder how that works? Steve Rowell was thinking a bout building his own 290's for sale at Audio classics. He had the cabinet guy lined up and tweeters but mids and woofers were the question marks at the time. Then this pair came along, and there was another pair on the internet in England. I am still on the list. There's a guy trying to sell his XRT-28, four, at Audiogon for $7500 each. The problem is they are in the Orient. If I were buying speakers for my 3rd system I would probably want two XRT 28's because of their slim profile. I already have two Moorish refrigerators and don't need two undecorated screens, 290's. I have some 207 channels I could appropriate transferring the rear speakers to the 206. That would give me almost 260 watts as the other channels would be off for the HT system. And that should be enough for normal listing at 15 ft. That would give me about 100 db at my listening position between both speakers. I very seldom go over 93 db with my current stereo. Once in a while there is a Telarc or live recording that pushes things but with power guard I think I would be perfectly fine with 28's. They do have a slight rise in the response below 1000 hz but that could be easily corrected.

Last edited:
I am glad you are Happy with your 290's. The pair of 290's AC got a few months ago went to an owner that already has a pair. He was going to have front and rear 290's, but I hear he hs now placed them side by side with the tweeters placed together of the adjoining pairs. Wonder how that works? Steve Rowell was thinking a bout building his own 290's for sale at Audio classics. He had the cabinet guy lined up and tweeters but mids and woofers were the question marks at the time. Then this pair came along, and there was another pair on the internet in England. I am still on the list. There's a guy trying to sell his XRT-28, four, at Audiogon for $7500 each. The problem is they are in the Orient. If I were buying speakers for my 3rd system I would probably want two XRT 28's because of their slim profile. I already have two Moorish refrigerators and don't need two undecorated screens, 290's. I have some 207 channels I could appropriate transferring the rear speakers to the 206. That would give me almost 260 watts as the other channels would be off for the HT system. And that should be enough for normal listing at 15 ft. That would give me about 100 db at my listening position between both speakers. I very seldom go over 93 db with my current stereo. Once in a while there is a Telarc or live recording that pushes things but with power guard I think I would be perfectly fine with 28's. They do have a slight rise in the response below 1000 hz but that could be easily corrected.

The distance of the mids side by side XR290 might give some beaming and cancellations. I will have to do some measuring and compare to mids on the crossovers frequency band to wavelength separation. Even the tweeter is getting far apart. Perhaps if you angled both cabinets to a V you can make it work.

The XRT20 and XR19 reverse stack is a pretty good XR290. But comes up short on a line of mids. My coworker still drools over the first time he experienced a My Home is on the Delta by Muddy Waters on a Chess Masters album on the stack. He says nothing will ever compare to that leap in sound fidelity he heard. I use that song for a reference for my tweaks. The soundstage and noise floor are way better with the amp, preamp and DAC changes.

I gave my daughter’s boy friends parents a Welcome to the Machine Pink Floyd demo the other day. They were literally astounded and the Dad wants me to design a system for him. Finding these old Roger Russell designs does not make it easy for those wanting the same experience.

I consider myself fortunate to have so many having started this quest. I am sure i could still be happy with some later designs or a pair of IDS-25s. I am looking towards som Iconoclast cables and interconnects. Seems Galen Garis the Belden cable designer has cured some time and phase issues over frequency. Blue Jeans Cable is now selling them. I am thinking I can get close to IDS-25 coherency on XR290 with better dynamics with his optimizations based on engineering.

Last edited:

My ears agree with you Panhead. I am very pleased with the XRT-28s. My current system is so good that I do not need or use surround sound for concert DVDs anymore, nor am I a big movie watcher, so I am kicking around the idea of selling the MX-136 while it still has modest value and moving to a C52 or C2200. I have been told that tube wear/life on a preamp is considerably longer than with a power amplifier, so I am leaning towards tubes. I appreciate your input and you sharing your extensive experience. Also you are a very generous brother! I thought I was brother of the year for gifting my pristine MX-132 to my brother this Christmas, but your generosity is impressive! Good on ya!

I am glad you are Happy with your 290's. The pair of 290's AC got a few months ago went to an owner that already has a pair. He was going to have front and rear 290's, but I hear he hs now placed them side by side with the tweeters placed together of the adjoining pairs. Wonder how that works?

The distance for mids and domes has to be half the highest frequency wavelength to keep them from showing up as separate source for near field and at wavelength or less for far field. Need less than 4.5 inch center to center separation on mids. And even less 3/4 on domes.

Not possible to achieve sound of less than two sources with the XR290s side by side on tweeters and mids. If you are sitting far field you might go unnoticed.

Definitely not for critical listening.

Last edited:
My ears agree with you Panhead. I am very pleased with the XRT-28s. My current system is so good that I do not need or use surround sound for concert DVDs anymore, nor am I a big movie watcher, so I am kicking around the idea of selling the MX-136 while it still has modest value and moving to a C52 or C2200. I have been told that tube wear/life on a preamp is considerably longer than with a power amplifier, so I am leaning towards tubes. I appreciate your input and you sharing your extensive experience. Also you are a very generous brother! I thought I was brother of the year for gifting my pristine MX-132 to my brother this Christmas, but your generosity is impressive! Good on ya!
Get a tube pre amp with stereo pass through. I still like rear channel for movies. Only HDDTS is good for concerts but my rear surrounds are line arrays too. HT pasthrough then you can have best of both worlds. Did you sell your previous primary speakers?

Is that why I only had to only replace a tube every year with my C-22 and the entire set every two years. My original C-22 the phono section was always very susceptible to microphonic tubes. I always used Telefunken as they were the best at the time. We bought them by the gross at the radio station and I could get some for cost when I needed them in the 60's until I bought my C-28.

Is that why I only had to only replace a tube every year with my C-22 and the entire set every two years. My original C-22 the phono section was always very susceptible to microphonic tubes. I always used Telefunken as they were the best at the time. We bought them by the gross at the radio station and I could get some for cost when I needed them in the 60's until I bought my C-28.
Yikes! I must have been misinformed, and that tidbit came from someone at AC when I picked up my MC452! I doubt that I am interested in that much dicking around. Overall I have been happy with the MX-136's version of pass through, called "Pure Stereo". I think I read somewhere on this forum that the MX-136 is the electronic equivalent of a C42. It will hold me over for a while, until I decide which is the best choice.

Get a tube pre amp with stereo pass through. I still like rear channel for movies. Only HDDTS is good for concerts but my rear surrounds are line arrays too. HT pasthrough then you can have best of both worlds. Did you sell your previous primary speakers?
Wow, line arrays for the rear channel too! you are my herol! :bowdown: That has to be an impressive experience. What is your center channel?
While another pair of line arrays are not likely in my future, my rear/center channels do need some attention. I have 3 JBL L20t3 speakers doing this duty now, they are a carry over from when L100t3/240ti were my main speakers. I have some floor space issues with the rear speakers, so I am not sure what to do.next I have some LAR professional monitors that could be hung, Otherwise, I will be in the market for some rear bookshelves. I was thinking the Aerial Acoustics Model 5 would fit the bill. I just missed on a single speaker last month. They do not come up often. Otherwise I am open to just about any high quality speaker that can be wall mounted.

As far as spacing is concerned theoretically you are very correct and is probably why testing the XRT 28 the highs roll off at 17 kHz. Now this may be an issue for young folks, but guys much over 40 they are lucky to hear 10 kHz accurately. I haven't had my ears checked with equipment in 20 years full spectrum. At 53 I was only down 6 db at 16, kHz. Today at 73. I still can 16.5 KHZ but I know the level of my sensitivity is dropping off. The last check my ENT made was only to 8 kHz, and I was down about 4 db in one ear and 7 in the other. Now if your kid and can still hear to 20 K good for you and take care of your ears, one night drinking adult beverages at a loud rock concert or Dance can screw you up for life. And stay away from loud impact tools and fire arms with out protection. All it takes is one time to compromise your hearing. My DAD at 70 could still hear above 17 kHz, but he always wore hearing protection as an Ag pilot and when he fired pistol and shot guns in competition. I'm lucky in that I got his genes, but I also have a mild case of ringing in my ears around 6.6 KHZ I inherited from my mother.

Wow, line arrays for the rear channel too! you are my herol! :bowdown: That has to be an impressive experience. What is your center channel?
While another pair of line arrays are not likely in my future, my rear/center channels do need some attention. I have 3 JBL L20t3 speakers doing this duty now, they are a carry over from when L100t3/240ti were my main speakers. I have some floor space issues with the rear speakers, so I am not sure what to do.next I have some LAR professional monitors that could be hung, Otherwise, I will be in the market for some rear bookshelves. I was thinking the Aerial Acoustics Model 5 would fit the bill. I just missed on a single speaker last month. They do not come up often. Otherwise I am open to just about any high quality speaker that can be wall mounted.
I am not using a center channel. The guy who markets The IDS-25 for Roger Russell had tried all different center channels on his XR290S without success in level matching them. The line arrays very well ghosting the center since they are all about imaging not an issue. I run a 6.0 system with XR290 and XR19s for RS and LS set for XXL and HT3 for RR and LR surrounds.

I really enjoy the set up for concerts that have HD sound and some sources NEO 6 mix. It is hard to beat just using two channel and XR290s. The beauty of MX150 is you can easily change surround modes on a source with remote as one button.

PI did speak with another XR290s owner who used the McIntosh bessel type line array matched for laterXRTs and HT3 swapping in a fabric dome versus aluminum. It appears the pair of HT3 I bought had non Aluminum domes too but they roll off around 15K. They never seem to have resonance issues for me and provide the back concert hall accoustics and openess quite well.

Setting up room perfect and playing calibration tones full spectrum it is telling as it automatically jumps speaker to speaker whether you are tone and timbre matched and whether the speaker is getting full range or rolling off. They all seem to be tone and timbre matched and the XR19 holds up well versus XR290.

As far as spacing is concerned theoretically you are very correct and is probably why testing the XRT 28 the highs roll off at 17 kHz. Now this may be an issue for young folks, but guys much over 40 they are lucky to hear 10 kHz accurately. I haven't had my ears checked with equipment in 20 years full spectrum. At 53 I was only down 6 db at 16, kHz. Today at 73. I still can 16.5 KHZ but I know the level of my sensitivity is dropping off. The last check my ENT made was only to 8 kHz, and I was down about 4 db in one ear and 7 in the other. Now if your kid and can still hear to 20 K good for you and take care of your ears, one night drinking adult beverages at a loud rock concert or Dance can screw you up for life. And stay away from loud impact tools and fire arms with out protection. All it takes is one time to compromise your hearing. My DAD at 70 could still hear above 17 kHz, but he always wore hearing protection as an Ag pilot and when he fired pistol and shot guns in competition. I'm lucky in that I got his genes, but I also have a mild case of ringing in my ears around 6.6 KHZ I inherited from my mother.
Good points. I am careful to always use hearing protection with power tools and take to concerts or exit venues that have bad sounds. Growing up on farm tractor driving was always with ear protectors. My grand father had poor hearing from early loud equipment.

Back
Top Bottom