Thrash Metal

My nominee in the "How Did We Get This Far Without Mentioning This Band" contest.

Ex-Anthrax bassist Dan Lilker's band's debut album.
There was nobody quite like these guys. They thrashed hard as hell but with a good sense of humor.

Nuclear Assault - Game Over
1986 Combat 88561-8118-1

https://www.discogs.com/Nuclear-Assault-Game-Over/release/1433273
029.jpg

030.jpg

026.jpg
Cool to see the inner sleeve! My copy on Cobra Records had no insert or lyric sheet.

Couple of months before Game Over was released NA released the Brain Death EP

20190128_092918.jpg 20190128_092934.jpg
20190128_085323.jpg 20190128_085338.jpg

Nuclear Assault / Sacrifice / Soothsayer July 12 1988
Club Soda Montreal - Survive Tour
Me & Dan, My buddy Chris & Dan (Mini-me version of Dan) + live band shots. Complete bootleg recording of said show on cassette as well. Mentioned in a previous Metal post.

20190128_085507.jpg 20190128_093422.jpg

20190128_094949.jpg 20190128_095013.jpg
20190128_094858.jpg

Shout out for the German scene that I don't think anyone has made much reference to.
Will start with:
Destruction - Sentence of Death EP. Canadian Banzai pressing. Really dig this release. Mad Butcher is such a killer track.
Their subsequent releases would really start to ramp up the Thrash Attack, but this was a great debut of what was to come.

Cool to see the inner sleeve! My copy on Cobra Records had no insert or lyric sheet.

Couple of months before Game Over was released NA released the Brain Death EP

View attachment 1401308 View attachment 1401309
View attachment 1401310 View attachment 1401311

Nuclear Assault / Sacrifice / Soothsayer July 12 1988
Club Soda Montreal - Survive Tour
Me & Dan, My buddy Chris & Dan (Mini-me version of Dan) + live band shots. Complete bootleg recording of said show on cassette as well. Mentioned in a previous Metal post.

View attachment 1401312 View attachment 1401313

Nice Exodus t-shirt, Zoot! Bonded By Blood?

Here's a slightly better pic of that inner sleeve. Who knows, maybe you're in there. Tons of pics of friends and fans.
As usual. That album looks better than brand new. :bowdown:
(click the pic to make it HUGE)

003.jpg

I don't think they end up on the NWOBHM lists due to their initial incarnation which was a hardcore band when they formed in 1982. It wasn't until a couple of lineup changes occurred before there was a switch to a more metal style. You can hear the hardcore influence on Power From Hell, especially in the drumming. While I've not read anywhere that NWOBHM had influenced them, it would be unlikely that it didn't to a large degree considering where they were located. Venom influence is apparent .They're still active today.
I personally think they should probably be there with an *. Hell, Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper sang for them for a bit.
...of course I'll defer to the ever wise @heavyrock for the final verdict.:confused:

I would never consider Onslaught nwobhm. Fantastic band and I have a TON of digital files of their early days live, they came from the punk/hardcore scene and right into speed/thrash. PFH is such a classic and I wish I had a copy of that COR pressing you have. I never knew that existed back in the day when stuff like that was findable. I have both Pusmort presses though.

Nice Exodus t-shirt, Zoot! Bonded By Blood?

Here's a slightly better pic of that inner sleeve. Who knows, maybe you're in there. Tons of pics of friends and fans.
As usual. That album looks better than brand new. :bowdown:
(click the pic to make it HUGE)

003.jpg
Thanks for posting this pic @Delmarva Thrash scene was notorious for these sort of inner sleeves.
That is a Bonded by Blood tour shirt. Got it at the metal festival I posted earlier in my Exodus post.
I was fortunate growing up to have a buddy who worked at one of the local record stores. Use to get the used outer sleeves from him free which allowed me keep my collection in top shape throughout the years until I started buying them in my 20's.

20190128_100803.jpg
1st time seeing NA live was at this gig, Oct. 12th 1986. Second day of the No Speed Limits Festival in Montreal.
Voivod, Agnostic Front, Possessed & Nuclear Assault opening the night

NA set list:
1. Betrayal
2. After the Holocaust
3. Nuclear War
4. Stranded in Hell
5. Butt ****
6. Radiation Sickness
7. Hang the Pope

Last edited:
I would never consider Onslaught nwobhm. Fantastic band and I have a TON of digital files of their early days live, they came from the punk/hardcore scene and right into speed/thrash. PFH is such a classic and I wish I had a copy of that COR pressing you have. I never knew that existed back in the day when stuff like that was findable. I have both Pusmort presses though.
I've never considered them to be NWOBHM either. Thought it made for an interesting hypothetical question though. It can be a fine line of separation though. Venom and Warfare kinda straddle the fence in my opinion.

My US pressing of Onslaught's Power From Hell. Slight variation of the artwork from Zoot's UK copy.

1985 Pusmort PUSMORT 0012-05
https://www.discogs.com/Onslaught-Power-From-Hell/master/180467
005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg
Interesting side story: Pusmort of corse is the label ran by Pushead. Old friend of mine in SF that is/was friend of Pushead back then is responsible for this album getting licensed from COR to Pusmort, if you look at the discography it stands out because there are no other full on metal albums on the label.

This is one that never sees the light of day. I'd totally forgotten about it again. Not unlike the Pusmort label not being a metal label I certainly don't equate London FFRR with metal either. To me that's a classical and Moody Blues label.
And it almost makes the case for Onslaught being loosely considered a NWOBHM band. That's Steve Grimmett of the NWOBHM's Grim Reaper on vocals for his one album with Onslaught. The sound, while still serious thrash is much more mainstream than Power From Hell. The band is far more polished and there's a lot more melody involved. The only guys from the Power From Hell lineup are guitarist Nige Rockett and drummer Steve Grice. They added a second guitarist in Rob Trottman and a new bass player in James Hinder.

It's a promo not for sale label which means I gotta go visit @Slick Willie's promo label thread.

Onslaught - In Search Of Sanity
1989 London Records 828 142-1

https://www.discogs.com/Onslaught-Power-From-Hell/release/2078778989
010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

009.jpg

EDIT: The explains why Grimmett was in the band.
From Wiki.
In Search of Sanity is the third studio album by English thrash metal band Onslaught, released in 1989. This album was originally recorded with Sy Keeler, but London Records were not impressed with the final product from a commercial point of view and enforced a re-mix and a complete re-recording of the vocals by Grim Reaper frontman Steve Grimmett, being the only album featuring him. It features their longest song to date "Welcome to Dying". The album contains a more polished sound than previous Onslaught albums, meeting mixed reviews by their fans. Despite this, In Search of Sanity was moderately successful, peaking at #46 on the UK charts while the single "Let There Be Rock" peaked at #50 in that country.[3] It was also Onslaught's last album before disbanding in 1991, only to reform in 2004 and the release of their fourth album Killing Peace in 2007.

Last edited:
Damn, "The Force" is probably my favorite of all the Onslaught material. I would love to hear ISOS with the original vocals and mix. ISOS is very average to me, sort of watered down Onslaught.

Last edited:
Damn, "The Force" is probably my favorite of all the Onslaught material. I would love to hear ISOS with the original vocals and mix. ISOS is very average to me, sort of watered down Onslaught.
It's pretty good in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I listened to it. Don't know if I'd call it watered down as opposed to overtly polished perhaps.
That said it's not even close to the same band that released "Power From Hell"... damn record company executives... but hey, it gave Steve Grimmett a chance to shine again.

Back
Top Bottom